Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 11, 13, 2:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Well according to this misleading article, beer options are actually being expanded due to increasing interests of beer drinkers. Of course all these new beers are "not" complimentary. I really hate how this article makes all the changes sound like positives and completely leaves out the removal of greater complimentary offerings.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...ited-club.html

Update: Here's a second article which does at least emphasize that they are only expanding premium drink selections, though says nothing about decreasing comps. I must say though, the new paid beer selection sounds quite incredible to the point that I probably will fork over the dollars for a good brews. Far better offerings than you will find in flight for sale.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...223153981.html

Last edited by gradsflyer; Sep 11, 13 at 2:42 am
Old Sep 11, 13, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Shigernafy View Post
Welp, its official. Hanging out in the HNL lounge now (I'm the guy closest to the plane by the window) and was just told that Longboard costs $3. Yesterday, before the engine on my flight blew up, it was complimentary. Had I remembered yeaterday that changes were coming, I may have had a second one... Now free is just bud light on tap and the bartender said they're getting Budweiser bottles as well, sometime soon.
The HNL bartender was talking about this Monday night. The Smirnoff, Beam etc was going and the well would be, "filled with McCormick." They would retain the current wines so long as the stock remained. After that it was going to the mandated swill.

In HKG the offerings were Early Times. Pepe Lopez tequila, Gordons gin and Finlandia vodka. As this was prior to the 10th I'm not sure it was the final selection.

Amazing as the HKG TG/SQ lounges still offer decent drink. I guess my future visits to HKG will involve a shower in the HKG UC followed by a trip to the TG (or SQ if I'm boarding from 501/502). Seems to me this will result in additional costs for UA.

Originally Posted by gradsflyer View Post
Well according to this misleading article, beer options are actually being expanded due to increasing interests of beer drinkers. Of course all these new beers are "not" complimentary. I really hate how this article makes all the changes sound like positives and completely leaves out the removal of greater complimentary offerings.
What did you expect? In UA's eyes it means what it says it means.
Old Sep 11, 13, 4:37 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriott/SPG - Gold, Hyatt - Discoverist, Hilton - Gold Global Entry,
Cuervo gold is a terrible tequila and they have the gall to charge $9 for it? The $2 premium for Patron is a downright bargain (not the $11 actual price, but the $2 relative difference).

I hope at these prices they have generous pours or do they have the measured pour caps they put on the bottle to make sure you don't get a drop too much?

I do feel bad for the bartenders. People will probably take out their frustration on them and I expect their tips will go down.
Old Sep 11, 13, 4:47 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I suppose the next enhancement will be having us pay for an expanded selection of newspapers.
Old Sep 11, 13, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
How much do those dastardly Canadians pay for such luxurious excess? CA$365/yr - less than UA charges for UA Club membership.
Yeah, I've been surprised by how decent the AC lounges are. I expected them to be more "American" -- especially since it's not like you have that much choice on who to fly in Canada.

It is interesting that the USA legacies feel no need to compete in their lounge offerings (they're all basically terrible), despite the fact that they sell memberships.

Originally Posted by entropy View Post
for those of you wondering about the delicious (tm) upgraded wine selection... (Sycamore Lane)

industry leading cheapness.... how sad.
It's actually quite ingenious for a restaurant/lounge to feature a cheap wine that you can't actually buy at the store (although, online, we've found Sycamore for 5 bucks). The idea, of course, is to hide from your customers how cheap the swill they're drinking is, and hope the unsophisticated (90% of the population, perhaps?) doesn't know.

Originally Posted by mrjay View Post
I agree with you 100%. Since my club membership has 8 months left on it, I will ante up a few bucks for a premium beer like what I got for free last week, because to me Bud or Bud Lite tastes like how I imagine horse piss would taste. Heck, I'll even tip the bartender a couple bucks and will refrain from griping about the cost to him/her.
Semi-snobby beer drinkers like myself avoid Bud these days, but if you were to actually taste it, it's not horrible. The other month I had one at a US Air lounge (their only free beer) and, honestly, it was better than I expected. We're all spoiled these days by lots of interesting micro beers, but Bud is a perfectly fine mass market beer. Remember, beer is probably 50% marketing and 50% taste. If the choice is Bud or Sycamore Lane, I'm always going for the beer. You really can't make a good $5 wine, but you can make a drinkable mass market beer.

Which is why I don't understand UA's decision to stick its lounge visitors with Bud. The price differential on keg beer is modest. Heck, I would think you could buy Yuengling (a great mass market beer) for about the price of Bud. UA demeans its own reputation by pouring only free Bud without saving much money.

Personally, I'm hoping that the free beer isn't limited to Bud LIGHT. That's another story, as many people (including me) would find a "light beer only" option to be unacceptable.
Old Sep 11, 13, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Ambassador
Sigh...I remember when I could get a glass of Rombauer Chardonnay in the UA Club for $7 or 8 with my PP card discount...good times indeed...
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
Originally Posted by XCstud View Post
...I hope at these prices they have generous pours or do they have the measured pour caps they put on the bottle to make sure you don't get a drop too much?...
At least in HNL yesterday, they didn't seem to have the caps, but the 'tender used a measuring shot glass to pour a drink for a customer who ordered a Glenfiddich on the rocks. So its not like they just pour some fingers...

(just one anecdote, though; YMMV)
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:19 am

The bartenders' tips are going to take a massive hit on this. I am sure Jeff is losing sleep over that.
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There are still six packs of Billy Beer float around available for purchase. We should send some to Jeffy.
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:24 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
As a lifetime club member, this is unreal. I use to "freeload" in the LAS club before getting on my AA flight but now in IAH, I will just frequent Pappadeaux's or that wine bar/restaurant over in C. The free alcohol choices are terrible reading through the thread.

Bud light for free and that's it? I use bud light (I call it Panther Pi$$ btw), for soaking my brats in before slapping them on the grill....So, unless they are going to start serving beer brats in the clubs, that is a worthless free beer choice.
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by goingbananas View Post

Bud light for free and that's it? I use bud light (I call it Panther Pi$$ btw), for soaking my brats in before slapping them on the grill....So, unless they are going to start serving beer brats in the clubs, that is a worthless free beer choice.
You aren't going to have any luck with this one. Do you think you could get the same effect by soaking cheese and crackers in Bud Light? I'd suggest carrots, but they usually have mold on them so probably not worth it.
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I'm at the LAX T7 Club right now. Crappy McCormick is the brand for vodka, rum, and gin for the complimentary stuff. How much are they really saving over Bacardi? I'm really disgusted with this change. It tastes like a headache.

Also for the premium wines.. during my last 3 out of 5 Club visits (at least) I purchased a minimum 2 glasses of the premium wines..I bought 4 one time because I had a long delay at DEN.. with the $3 Club card discount the Jordan and Stag's Leap were $9 each. Now Stagg's leap is gone and the Jordan is $12 after the discount..a normal price for a restaurant, but overpriced for a place that I pay to visit.

I just renewed my Club card for another year..the way I'm protesting these changes is that I will not buy one single premium beverage from now on in the Club. If I want something better I'll go to Vino Volo or elsewhere. UA doesn't deserve any more of my money with how they're treating Club members.
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Yet another insult

I love how this thread is titled "Improvements".
Anybody noticed if this downgrade has occurred in IFLs as well?
<sigh>
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:41 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
I love how this thread is titled "Improvements".
Anybody noticed if this downgrade has occurred in IFLs as well?
<sigh>
Just out of curiosity...what are the downgrades in the IFL's? I haven't been in them for a few years as I fly all my F and J INTL tickets on QF, CX and SQ...
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goingbananas View Post
Just out of curiosity...what are the downgrades in the IFL's? I haven't been in them for a few years as I fly all my F and J INTL tickets on QF, CX and SQ...
kirkwoodj wasn't saying that downgrades had actually happened in the IFL's.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: