Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 10, 13, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just sent an email to the unitedclub address.
Old Sep 10, 13, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Email sent. Was tempted to CC Jeff, but didn't. I think that would only work if everyone on here all emailed him, Martin Hand, or other high ranking exec.
Old Sep 10, 13, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
The more I read of the changes the happier I am I transitioned over to another airline and didn't renew my UC membership.
Old Sep 10, 13, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've created a wikipost based on the great info provided by MrColdShower.

Please "enhance" away!
Old Sep 10, 13, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$6 for a shot of Bailey's for my coffee?!?!? #*+m*%#f!%#*

This is a material change in club benefits. Unfortunately, my membership is thru a Chase Club card, so I'm wondering how a cancellation/refund would work. I think The yearly fee is paid in advance, so I should be able to cancel and get money back since there is a material change in benefits that doesn't coincide with a renewal.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 10, 13 at 10:42 pm
Old Sep 10, 13, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
Forgive me for not sharing in the need for alcoholic beverages at my age

But really, how is it like, if one could take some time?
I concur. The only alcohol I usually prcured in the club was the $6 shots of Glenlivet that were discounted by $3 with my credit card. I think that's over now ... so please, tell us about the Internet access!
Old Sep 10, 13, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
There really is no excuse for this, especially when US of all airline clubs offers hot soup! Anytime US one-ups your airline, you better figure out what you're doing wrong.

Just back from a morning visit to YYZ AC MLL...not a global premium carrier or lounge by any stretch, but here is a partial list of what they offered:

1. yogurt parfait cups with fruit
2. a selection of full size danish pastries, muffins and small cinnamon buns
3. hot oatmeal with toppings (brown sugar, dried fruits)
4. four types of dry cereal
5. sliced breads for toasting - toppings included butter, jellies and - gasp - peanut butter

Of course the MLL really shines during the lunch hour:

1. TWO kinds of hot soup - and these soups are really tasty!
2. TWO kinds of sandwiches
3. Tossed salad with various dressings
4. Pita AND tortilla chips
5. Salsa AND hummus
6. pickles and olives
7. sliced cheeses

These are DOMESTIC and transborder lounges - not even flagship or international lounges, and not even large size lounges. The international departure lounges at YYZ/YVR will add a couple hot dishes (usually a noodle) for the Asia and Europe departures.

I left out the alcohol, but it too is free.

How much do those dastardly Canadians pay for such luxurious excess? CA$365/yr - less than UA charges for UA Club membership.
Old Sep 10, 13, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I concur. The only alcohol I usually prcured in the club was the $6 shots of Glenlivet that were discounted by $3 with my credit card. I think that's over now ... so please, tell us about the Internet access!
Looks like the only place that have it right now is CLE on 9/5... SFO is supposed to have it by 9/19 with others to follow thereafter by 10/1.

EDIT: Probably a small test in CLE followed by a bigger test in SFO and the rest by 10/1... cause you know how they love to use us as live test subjects.

Last edited by edcho; Sep 10, 13 at 10:50 pm
Old Sep 10, 13, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
for those of you wondering about the delicious (tm) upgraded wine selection... (Sycamore Lane)

Where can you find Sycamore Lane? Not in a grocery store. Not at the wine shop. There's only one way to get Sycamore Lane, and that is on the wine list. Sycamore Lane is a foodservice-only wine designed to meet the unique needs of the on-premise category.

Because Sycamore Lane wines are not sold at retail, cost comparisons will never be an issue, so you can price this house wine appropriately.
industry leading cheapness.... how sad.
Old Sep 10, 13, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX S
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
for those of you wondering about the delicious (tm) upgraded wine selection... (Sycamore Lane)
Wow, Dona Paula, Joel Gott, and Sycamore Lane are from the same company. "From the guys who brought you Sutter Home ..."

http://tfewines.com/our-wines/

Ugh.
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Where can you find Sycamore Lane? Not in a grocery store. Not at the wine shop. There's only one way to get Sycamore Lane, and that is on the wine list. Sycamore Lane is a foodservice-only wine designed to meet the unique needs of the on-premise category.

Because Sycamore Lane wines are not sold at retail, cost comparisons will never be an issue, so you can price this house wine appropriately.
The FreshPoo of wine ?
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Not long ago, we were all griping about how the clubs were getting too crowded. Looks like Jeff and team may have found a creative solution to that issue

These recent improvements have greatly eased my decision on whether to renew club membership next year.
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by unavaca View Post
Wow, Dona Paula, Joel Gott, and Sycamore Lane are from the same company. "From the guys who brought you Sutter Home ..."

http://tfewines.com/our-wines/

Ugh.
I wouldn't poo-poo a multi-brand winery - some of their brands can be quite good, while others not. Judge each by its taste.

I've worked with a private label winery on an export project in the past, and I can attest to the fact that some of their product was absolutely stellar - yet would never see the light of day in the USA. Private label wineries can work wonders in terms of crafting a high quality great tasting wine from so-so sources at a very reasonable price-point.
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:32 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by BookerNYC View Post
$4.99 a bottle. Why not just stock Two Buck Chuck and get it over with. Sigh.
I was half expecting Franzia, so I guess this should be positive news in comparison.
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:36 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott

Well look on the bright side, if you go from a UC to a Hyatt you can get Sycamore Lane and Canvas and enjoy two unique forms of plonk.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: