Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Beefeater $9
Bombay Sapphire $11
$9 for beefeater? it was barely OK as a comp drink. Just pathetic.

I second the call for the mods to change the thread title. United Club beverage downgrades/price increases.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycityny
I don't visit the club to imbibe in spirits and judging by what I see inside most other visitors do not either. This change has no impact on most of us so I doubt it will cause the majority of folks to cancel their memberships.
I'm visiting the club in EWR and SFO tomorrow. I'd bet more than half (in your words, most) have a drink/are at the bar.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The word "improvements" in the title should at least be put in scare quotes.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
Welp, its official. Hanging out in the HNL lounge now (I'm the guy closest to the plane by the window) and was just told that Longboard costs $3. Yesterday, before the engine on my flight blew up, it was complimentary. Had I remembered yeaterday that changes were coming, I may have had a second one... Now free is just bud light on tap and the bartender said they're getting Budweiser bottles as well, sometime soon.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny
I am amused that there is a whole thread of outraged people angered by higher alcohol prices in the United Club. I don't visit the club to imbibe in spirits and judging by what I see inside most other visitors do not either. This change has no impact on most of us so I doubt it will cause the majority of folks to cancel their memberships.

My wish is that the food selections would improve. Having just returned from Europe, those foreign clubs/lounges remind me of how poorly stocked the American clubs are when it comes to food.
You must be taking mostly morning flights because I would guess that 75% of the people in the afternoon/evening at clubs in which I have been have some sort of drink from the bar.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Shigernafy
Welp, its official. Hanging out in the HNL lounge now (I'm the guy closest to the plane by the window) and was just told that Longboard costs $3. Yesterday, before the engine on my flight blew up, it was complimentary. Had I remembered yeaterday that changes were coming, I may have had a second one... Now free is just bud light on tap and the bartender said they're getting Budweiser bottles as well, sometime soon.
Offering Bud Light as the only beer selection is pretty pathetic. If I wanted a water, I would've asked for one. This downgrade is way worse than I expected.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Offering Bud Light as the only beer selection is pretty pathetic. If I wanted a water, I would've asked for one. This downgrade is way worse than I expected.
That may not work if they start charging for water
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Keep emailing and let them know how you feel:

[email protected]

and

[email protected]
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by belynch
What they've done is ethically reprehensible (I wouldn't be saying that if they were charging fair market value or below for the drinks).
united, doing something ethically reprehensible? whod've thunk it @:-)
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
At least Delta's Sky Club kept Jack Daniels complimentary and "only" went down to Gordons for Vodka and Gin. UA looked at what Delta did and said "Ha! That's minor leagues. We can show you how to REALLY save money on those mooching club members."
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by salesna
Exactly. Chase has a lot more leverage with United than we do, so Club/PP cardholders who are disappointed with this downgrade should also be complaining to Chase.
I emailed Chase, not that it will make a difference. I couldn't find an email address for David Gold who is the GM of Chase Card Services - so I emailed Laura L. Rossi.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Screw this. I will happily let my club membership expire on the 30th of this month and give my business to an airport vendor who works to earn it.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
At least Delta's Sky Club kept Jack Daniels complimentary and "only" went down to Gordons for Vodka and Gin. UA looked at what Delta did and said "Ha! That's minor leagues. We can show you how to REALLY save money on those mooching club members."
Save money....with these prices they've turned to more nickle & diming to make money. Yea UA is in the business of making money but they really went all out on this one.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
Has anyone that has the presidental plus card spoken to chase about this?
I'm going to speak with my feet next March when my Pres Plus renewal is due. In addition to comp UC access, the only reason I have been keeping the card (which I switched to solely as a result of Amex Plat getting the ax by the new United) is for the PQM bonus which helps me maintain gold status. I'm sure the PQM benefit are the next ball to drop, but that's another topic.

Charging $9 for a Dewars you can buy in-flight for $7 and $11 for a glass of Mark West Pinot when an entire bottle can be had in any wine shop for around $10 is downright insulting. The premium wine program (i.e. Chateau Montelena, Stag's Leap, etc) was a great value and very fine amenity, but now that's gone too.

More than 75% of my travel is between EWR and PBI and given all the recent changes that I was supposed to 'like', I have been contemplating moving my personal travel to PBI over to Jet Blue, reinstating my Amex Platinum (whose FHR program blows aways Chase's "Luxury" hotel offering), and move my very occasional corporate travel over to Delta and/or American.

I flew in paid F down to PBI last Friday evening - the beef burrito offered for dinner was disgusting, made Chiplotle's seem like a 5 star restaurant, and is far below the quality offered on this route back in the CO days. This coupled with the now instituted UC 'enhancements' are pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:54 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am glad I did not renew last May, this change is downright egregious. Definitely near the top of the list of the dumbest decisions UA has made over the last few years.

I feel for those who renewed their membership in recent months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.