Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
The comp'd wine is unsuitable for anyone with even a decent palette.

There's a thread dissecting these price points (unchanged). Some are almost at cost - some a bit higher.
Here's the old thread on the former premium wine offerings...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ium-wines.html
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
@ LAS Club this morning, the comped whiskey was 7, there was no comped canadian whiskey. The comped scotch was House of Stuart. Funny you can get a Titos Vodka screwdriver for free onboard but that'll cost $9.

Oh, and to the person that just reuped the membership. If paid via CC, I'd do a charge back and claim that the product is not what was paid for. I think there may be a decent chance you can win.
Good suggestion. I just turned up the flames in my response to them and suggested that I would file a credit card dispute. I will post the response (if any).
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:36 am

For the PMUA guys, how does this compare to when the RCC was a "cash" bar? Are these prices significantly higher? Are the options significantly less?

If they are going to jack up the prices like this at least let us use the drink coupons.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nova08
For the PMUA guys, how does this compare to when the RCC was a "cash" bar? Are these prices significantly higher? Are the options significantly less?

If they are going to jack up the prices like this at least let us use the drink coupons.
Bringing back the two complimentary drink coupons for international travelers would be a good way to keep this from stinging so much.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Charging nominally would be one thing. $9 for Jim Beam is criminal.
A Jack & Coke at the Boston Beer Works in BOS Terminal C is $8; in the United Club its $11 + the annual cover charge. Not only is it ridiculous to charge club members for rail liquor but they're now just running a bad bar business. Why anyone would pay an annual fee for the privilege of spending more at a bar in the club when they could drink the same for less at an airport bar which likely sells food is beyond me.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nova08

The prices are much higher and yes the drink coupons made a big difference.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:47 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Got the same canned response when sending in my displeasure.

Looks like they had already written the email for everyone else.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by kenn0223
A Jack & Coke at the Boston Beer Works in BOS Terminal C is $8; in the United Club its $11 + the annual cover charge. Not only is it ridiculous to charge club members for rail liquor but they're now just running a bad bar business. Why anyone would pay an annual fee for the privilege of spending more at a bar in the club when they could drink the same for less at an airport bar which likely sells food is beyond me.
Likely for those who aren't viewing the United Club as a year-long open bar as opposed to a "quieter", somewhat more comfortable escape from the masses, (woefully bad) business center and a place to grab a quick bite of whatever it is they are serving. I agree with you and I'd always take a brew from BBW over the Club, but if they are looking to increase profitability (those lovely "enhancements"), the F&B margin makes sense. If the Club is really just a place for a few adult beverages before catching a flight, it probably makes less sense to get the membership at this point. Just the state of affairs.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by mrjay
I used to enjoy a glass of Honker's Ale in ORD, wonder what that costs now? The premium wines listed by MrColdShower are not very premium, I just looked up the Joel Gott 815 on BevMo... $12.99 bottle. IIRC the Jordan cab was one of the old premium reds, it's a decent cab.
I think that's right about the Jordan. Looks like they killed off the other truly excellent wines -- Stag's Leap Artemis, Far Niente chardonnay, Chateau Montelena cab, etc., are all missing from the list posted above.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
UA Insider's continued silence on this thread despite recent activity on other threads is quite noticeable
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
MODS ... I'd suggest the title be changed to something like: United Club drink price increases and Wifi changes (effective Sept 2013)
I second this request. The title is misleading at this point. Not blaming the OP, I know the title is consistent with the email United sent out. However, it is now just contributing the blatant deception.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
UA Insider's continued silence on this thread despite recent activity on other threads is quite noticeable
If today is truly day 1 AD (After Downgrade), I'm betting we'll hear the official line soon
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by kenn0223
My thoughts exactly. The UA Club is basically just like any other bar in the airport. Sure there are a few simple amenities the UA club offers that bars do not but the gap is becoming smaller by the "Enhancement"
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:02 am

So for the $3 beers, do they still come in those tiny little glasses? If so, that is absurd. I am sure the bartenders hate this change because I am probably not going to tip nearly as well after paying (if I ever do) $3 for a 6 ounce beer.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
An annual fee so that you can go in and pay more for crappy stuff? Sounds like a country club. If I were running a business with an eye toward the future, not sure I'd be imitating old-school country clubs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.