Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 5, 13, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by bob_the_d View Post
was at the LGA UC yesterday. still serving smirnoff there. the beers are the same too. flying out of ORD today and EWR tomorrow so i'll check there. i'm guessing this is some sort of phased roll out.
My guess is they're depleting their stocks of the decent stuff and gradually replacing it with the crap.

E.g., at LAX this morning all of the regular options are still there but the Smirnoff, which has been replaced with something called McCormack.

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake View Post
At IAD c7 now, they have a meeting tomorrow they said about it, rumor is only wine will be comped, that's new.
Hope that's not true. If it is, it contradicts what United said in its Orwellian "improving the United Club" email about "maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines."

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 5, 13 at 12:10 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 5, 13, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by salesna View Post
Hope that's not true. If it is, it contradicts what United said in its Orwellian "improving the United Club" email about "maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines."
No you interpreted it incorrectly: it's "Complimentary beer" and also "spirits and wines" [(hopefully) kidding]
Old Sep 5, 13, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
E.g., at LAX this morning all of the regular options are still there but the Smirnoff, which has been replaced with something called McCormack
I'll be at LAX T7 UC tonight so will see if anything else has been depleted (though I do know they have a Glenfiddich tasting 1pm-5pm so maybe I'll catch the tail end of that).

As for McCormack, according to a google search it sells for $15.99/handle compared to the aforementioned Bellows (reportedly at a UC at ORD) which sells for $8.99/liter ($13.99/handle) so I think we should consider ourselves lucky that LAX was allowed to have the more premium McCormack

Last edited by Duke787; Sep 5, 13 at 2:14 pm Reason: updated with correct information
Old Sep 5, 13, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerdude88 View Post
I'll be at LAX T7 UC tonight so will see if anything else has been depleted (though I do know they have a Glenfiddich tasting 1pm-5pm so maybe I'll catch the tail end of that).

As for McCormack, according to a google search it sells for $15.99/handle compared to the aforementioned Bellows (reportedly at a UC at ORD) which sells for $8.99/handle so I think we should consider ourselves lucky that LAX was allowed to have the more premium McCormack
Umm, where does one find Bellows for $8.99 a handle (1.75L)?
Old Sep 5, 13, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
SFO T3 seemed normal still this morning, and I'm at LAS right now which also seems normal in terms of offerings on the "complimentary shelves" and the taps.
Old Sep 5, 13, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
No you interpreted it incorrectly: it's "Complimentary beer" and also "spirits and wines" [(hopefully) kidding]
That's certainly possible. Apparently I misinterpreted the email a United CSR sent me last week flatly denying that there were any plans to downgrade the complimentary drinks.

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Umm, where does one find Bellows for $8.99 a handle (1.75L)?
You can get it here for $8.99 per liter.

This message brought to you by Bellows vodka, the choice of discerning fraternities and alcoholics everywhere.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 5, 13 at 2:10 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 5, 13, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You can get it here for $8.99 per liter.

This message brought to you by Bellows vodka, the choice of discerning fraternities and alcoholics everywhere.
Umm, a liter is not a handle. What urban dictionary are you using?
Old Sep 5, 13, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Umm, a liter is not a handle. What urban dictionary are you using?
I know. That's why I said "per liter," not "per handle."
Old Sep 5, 13, 1:53 pm

I know. That's why I said "per liter," not "per handle."
Yes, but the OP (not you) said this same price, per handle, which caused this confusion.
Old Sep 5, 13, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
Yes, but the OP (not you) said this same price, per handle, which caused this confusion.
True. Perhaps the OP's superior Internet sleuthing skills enabled him to find this premium product at an even lower price than I could.
Old Sep 5, 13, 1:59 pm

True. Perhaps the OP's superior Internet sleuthing skills enabled him to find this premium product at an even lower price than I could.

Perhaps (s)he just drank less of it than you did!
Old Sep 5, 13, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post

Perhaps (s)he just drank less of it than you did!
Not me -- I considered the Bellows but decided to treat myself to a shot of paint thinner instead. I was hoping for wood alcohol, but unfortunately that's on the UC premium menu and I'm too cheap to pay.
Old Sep 5, 13, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Nope I'm an idiot on this one. I do know that a handle is 1.75 and I saw the $8.99 and the 1 and just assumed it was 1.75 but I was obviously just wrong on this. I did find a handle of Bellows for $13.99 or $13.29 if you buy 12 or more here so still cheaper than McCormacks but not as ridiculous. I hate vodka generally but I just checked for my own knowledge, in college we bought Aristocrat when we wanted cheap vodka (and it was awful) and a google search shows Aristocrat for $16.99/handle, so if Bellows and McCormack are both cheaper than that I shudder to think what those actually taste like

I'm going to go crawl into a corner and hide for shaming my generation.

I updated my OP with the correction

Last edited by Duke787; Sep 5, 13 at 2:23 pm
Old Sep 5, 13, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Sitting at a club that just got the news. Bartender was informing several regulars. Only Bud Light will be free. Current spirits to become premium, and current premium to become super premium. There will be a small well selection (cheaper stuff than current), and apparently a "really impressive" upgraded wine selection.

Just say no to frat party booze, PITA wifi, worthless food, and IRROPS inferior to phone agents.

Bars are getting better in the airport, food is getting better, wifi is increasingly available.

What exactly does the membership buy?
Old Sep 5, 13, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Red_Rob View Post
Sitting at a club that just got the news. Bartender was informing several regulars. Only Bud Light will be free. Current spirits to become premium, and current premium to become super premium. There will be a small well selection (cheaper stuff than current), and apparently a "really impressive" upgraded wine selection.
Wow - this is even worse than what we thought. No more "local beer"?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: