Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 3, 13, 4:28 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by sgfood View Post
You might be even more underwhelmed by December. I was in the T6 club at LAX last week talking with a staffer I know well. Seems the news is the T6 club will be closing in December, along with the Global Services club in T7. Didn't get a timeline on that one but was told usage of it didn't warrant keeping it open.

The possible good out of this is talk of a second T7 club by the bridge area.
This is disappointing. Every time I've been in the T6 club it's been pretty full. Not jam packed where you couldn't find a seat, but certainly enough customers one would think to be enough to keep it open.
Old Sep 3, 13, 5:37 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by fastfxr View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanfran8080

Just keep the Sam Adams beer and I'll be happy.

Denver has Heineken, Bud Light, and Blue Moon.
At least ORD has Honker's Ale--a rather enjoyable local brew.

Their beer selection is revolting. I don't mind BL, but a decent local brew (COMPLIMENTARY, Jeffy) wouldn't be too much to ask.

I think they should raise the price and cater to the business travelers instead of looking at is a income potential. I'm happy to pay the increase because I'm tired of shot glasses of beer, no food, bad coffee, and bar staff that play Pavlov after every drink they serve.
Denver has coors light
Old Sep 3, 13, 6:32 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

You might be even more underwhelmed by December. I was in the T6 club at LAX last week talking with a staffer I know well. Seems the news is the T6 club will be closing in December, along with the Global Services club in T7. Didn't get a timeline on that one but was told usage of it (GF club) didn't warrant keeping it open.

If so that is very bad news.. T7 UC is bursting at its seams, particularly in the evenings. Now we will have GFL passengers in the lounge (assuming it is all true) and the T7 club definitely cannot handle the load that the T6 club handled. Not to mention the hellish walk to the end of T6 for some flights.

If UA has any common sense, keep T6 open until the new UC opens.
Old Sep 3, 13, 6:41 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Talking

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Were there really that many leachers?

"Do not confuse leech with leach. Leech means 'a bloodsucking worm' or 'exploit someone' (hes leeching off the abilities of others), whereas leach means 'remove a substance from soil by the action of water' (the nutrient is quickly leached away)."

Old Sep 3, 13, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might be even more underwhelmed by December. I was in the T6 club at LAX last week talking with a staffer I know well. Seems the news is the T6 club will be closing in December, along with the Global Services club in T7. Didn't get a timeline on that one but was told usage of it (GF club) didn't warrant keeping it open.

Closed permanently or closed for renovations?
Old Sep 3, 13, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by morelegroom View Post

"Do not confuse leech with leach. Leech means 'a bloodsucking worm' or 'exploit someone' (hes leeching off the abilities of others), whereas leach means 'remove a substance from soil by the action of water' (the nutrient is quickly leached away)."

Then the leechers are leaching the wifi
Old Sep 3, 13, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I wonder if the log-in wall for the WiFi is a precursor to a tired service like the on-board WiFi? Your membership gets you free basic internet but if you want video streaming quality you have to pay or maybe true members will get free WiFi but guests (*A, day pass, etc) will have to pay (I think the former is more likely)

I agree with others that the number of poachers outside the club can't be having a material impact on the quality of service.
Old Sep 3, 13, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Closed permanently or closed for renovations?
Permanently I believe, but will confirm next visit. I say this because my friend mentioned that a number of food concepts were already in negotiations for the space.
Old Sep 3, 13, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
And it will still be off-limits to UA travelers at LAX because it is in a separate terminal.

Wandering OT, but I continue to be underwhelmed by the F&B options available around most UA domestic terminals, particularly LAX & ORD, though I am not sure if that it is the fault of UA or the airport authority.
The vendors are based on the airport authority I believe and their own contracts. I realize that the international terminal won't be open to UA flyers unless they are on a *A connection through there, I was merely pointing out that non-lounge options in at least some parts of LAX look set to be improved upon.
Old Sep 3, 13, 9:48 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Denver has coors light

Seriously? Last time I went through (last week), it was BL, Blue Moon, and H.
You'd THINK they'd have Coors (which is actually decent on tap), but I've only seen BL.

You're probably right though--I don't really pay that much attention unless I'm in ORD then I look for my Honker's!
Old Sep 4, 13, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Denver has coors light
If you like / want Colorado beer, I suggest skipping the Club and heading down to the New Belgium brew pub at the entrance to the RJ gates. ^
Old Sep 4, 13, 2:43 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

UC is a joke... I am flying on Bangkok Airways on a domestic flight and even their food and soft drink offering is better than what is found in the UC. No liquor, but I'd rather decent snacks over liquor if I had to pick one.

And for the wifi, they write down a unique six digit code on your BP or a sheet of paper at the entrance, when the agent scans your BP the computer automatically assigns a pass code, and once you connect to the wifi, a landing page will pop up. Six keystrokes later you are all set.

A lot more efficient than the arcane authentication system UA is about to implement. Not to mention the speed is considerably better.

The kicker, this lounge is available to every single passenger flying on PG.

What is the point of paying for a membership when every one all the way from GS to an once per year flyer can get it for a mere $375 Less than the discount UA gives its elites.
Old Sep 4, 13, 5:42 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
For the Record

Strictly for archival purposes, here is the "free" drink menu I snapped at the IAH E United Club on September 2, 2013:

Wish I'd tried a Shiner Bock when I had the chance!
Old Sep 4, 13, 5:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Shiner is a good brew.

Seriously as a beer (not swill) drinker this really has stopped any attempt I will make to attain club membership (through card or purchase).. I know people will say "Its about the agents and why get annoyed over a small thing) well, if I am paying $$$ I don't want to have to pay for the privilege of drinking passable beer. It is just another reflection of the devaluation.. No food of any decency, swill to drink, I will be supporting local cafe's, bars and eateries..
Old Sep 4, 13, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
Shiner is a good brew.

Seriously as a beer (not swill) drinker this really has stopped any attempt I will make to attain club membership (through card or purchase).. I know people will say "Its about the agents and why get annoyed over a small thing) well, if I am paying $$$ I don't want to have to pay for the privilege of drinking passable beer. It is just another reflection of the devaluation.. No food of any decency, swill to drink, I will be supporting local cafe's, bars and eateries..
Oh my, how fast attitudes change. Wasn't it just over a year ago everyone had to pay for all booze in UC's? Unless on an international trip in business and got 2 coupons when entered?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: