Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=tryathlete;21696104]
Originally Posted by JAaronT
From today's "We're investing in your United Club experience" e-mail:

I interpret "maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines" to mean the cheapest they can buy
"The goal is to make it so bad, that you can't drink it! Synergy!"
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

At SAN, Heineken &Coors Light. Third tap apparently usually Karl Strauss, but they're out. Wifi access wide open.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
IAH UC Terminal A (only easily accessible one from A gates since my membership is still valid) still has wide open WiFi
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
At SAN, Heineken &Coors Light. Third tap apparently usually Karl Strauss, but they're out. Wifi access wide open.

San Diego also has complimentary MGD bottles which they pour into the draught glass and then dump the last couple ounces. Not sure if that's policy or that particular bartender.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Itinerant one
San Diego also has complimentary MGD bottles which they pour into the draught glass and then dump the last couple ounces. Not sure if that's policy or that particular bartender.
Had a complimentary MGD bottle at MSP because the bud light keg had blown.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Itinerant one
Originally Posted by MrMarket
At ATL I heard the bartender say she could not give out the glass bottle for someone to carry around. She let the person chug the last couple of ounces right at the bar.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by nova08
She let the person chug the last couple of ounces right at the bar.
Sweet, sweet memories of undergrad.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by MrMarket
More likely because the bud light had past its expiration date due to no one drinking that vile stuff.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Was in HNL last week. On way home dropped by the Club. Decided to have a Mai Tai. Opted for Bacardi and it set me back $9.42. It was the mix.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KansasMike
After 25 years of continuous RCC/UC membership, I dropped it for Admiral's Club as part of my switch to AA. Admiral's Clubs are superior in every way: less crowded, far better furnished, cleaner, etc.
Is this really true? I've only been to a few Admiral's Clubs in the past few years, but they all reminded me of all the other lousy USA airline lounges I've been to (UA, US, DL). Same crummy free "food" and drink and -- sometimes, but not always -- halfway decent furnishings and "environment."
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iahphx
Is this really true? I've only been to a few Admiral's Clubs in the past few years, but they all reminded me of all the other lousy USA airline lounges I've been to (UA, US, DL). Same crummy free "food" and drink and -- sometimes, but not always -- halfway decent furnishings and "environment."
Based on my experiences with the ACs since 2011, it is true. Many of the ACs have upgrades furniture (much more than the UA lounges), friendly staff that can assist with all sorts of things- not just present day travel - and they sell decent food! Though they're often priced similar to what you might find in an airport vendor, they have some decent option. The quality of the sushi I recently had in MIA was excellent, and the price is what I would expect to pay at my local store, etc.

Some of the ACs have kids rooms, which reduce the overall noise of the club, and some offer smokers a smoking room. Overall, the ACs offer much more than United has, and likely ever will have in their crappy lounges.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Absolutely pathetic "breakfast spread" at SEA this morning. Nice staff, great service and a new design can't make up for such cheap and useless food offerings.

I say it again - raise the membership fee and start providing proper catering in the clubs. I do not want to be nickel and dimed on food for purchase in a club - I want to pay a single membership fee that will provide appropriate and competitive (non alcoholic) drinks and food.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by iquitos
Was in HNL last week. On way home dropped by the Club. Decided to have a Mai Tai. Opted for Bacardi and it set me back $9.42. It was the mix.
You notice beers? Haven't been since the "enhancements we'll like".
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: united 1k
It's nothing to do with the membership fee, it's the priority they believed in.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Absolutely pathetic "breakfast spread" at SEA this morning. Nice staff, great service and a new design can't make up for such cheap and useless food offerings.

I say it again - raise the membership fee and start providing proper catering in the clubs. I do not want to be nickel and dimed on food for purchase in a club - I want to pay a single membership fee that will provide appropriate and competitive (non alcoholic) drinks and food.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
While awaiting an overseas flight, we dropped into one of clubs at EWR. We wandered around for several minutes looking in vain for two vacant chairs near a power outlet and finally settled on two adjacent cubicles.

Just now, an employee announced, "We have a full house tonight. Please remove your personal property from chairs near you so that everyone has a space to sit."

It's quite a contrast to the AC MLL at YVR where we started our trip yesterday.

Last edited by Fredd; Nov 2, 2013 at 1:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.