FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1498894-united-club-changes-drinks-wifi-sept-oct-2013-a.html)

alphaod Oct 27, 2013 3:34 am

I'm guessing these changes are only in the US?

I'm in the UC at NRT; there is still plenty of good booze and the free bear is the same Asahi they offer in the NH lounge.

dsquared37 Oct 27, 2013 4:08 am

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 21675783)

I'm in the UC at NRT; there is still plenty of good booze and the free bear is the same Asahi they offer in the NH lounge.

Yeah NRT seems to be spared the brunt of the downgrade but HKG appears to have lessened their booze levels.

Anyway, even with all my recent trips through NRT I'm still at a loss for not having noticed any bears. ;)

TPJ Oct 27, 2013 4:51 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 21669297)
At IAH E club. No wifi validation yet

No wifi validation at DFW Club as of yesterdays...

I love carrots:D:D:D

Used my TK*G to enter so no cost involved...

Fredd Oct 27, 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 21675862)
Yeah NRT seems to be spared the brunt of the downgrade but HKG appears to have lessened their booze levels.

Anyway, even with all my recent trips through NRT I'm still at a loss for not having noticed any bears. ;)

Maybe my September post bears repeating. After a visit in September to the hot and overcrowded UC NRT, the offerings at one of the ANA Lounges, including a noodle bar, sushi, and self-serve sake bar, coupled with the significantly superior ambience, fast Internet and lack of crowding at least during our visit, made it the lounge of choice for us.

When flying out of HKG more recently, we arrived at the airport early and spent most of our time at the SQ Silver Kris Lounge before hopping on the train. We just stopped in at the HKG UC for a few minutes before boarding. It's arguably the best UC anywhere. It's a pleasant place but still crowded the morning we were there and we realized we had made a good choice by hanging out where we did.

halls120 Oct 27, 2013 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Fredd (Post 21676788)
We just stopped in at the HKG UC for a few minutes before boarding. It's arguably the best UC anywhere. It's a pleasant place but still crowded the morning we were there and we realized we had made a good choice by hanging out where we did.

HKG UC is the best in the system by far. You almost wonder if you've walked into the wrong place, it's so unlike the rest of the clubs.

LordTentacle Oct 27, 2013 11:20 am

Visited LAX T7 on thursday

I was in there for 15-20min and just in that time watched someone I know was on a one time pass (they were infront of me inline to get in) go to the bar and down 4 drinks then walk over to the snack bar and pick up half the snack bar that wasn't bolted down then back to the bar for another 4 drinks.....
The perons significant other tried to slow them down and I overheard "I paid $15 each for these passes on craigslist and I'm going to get my value from them"

Was not a plesent experience for me or Ms Tentacle

Walked over to the half hidden T6 lounge and had a much better time

I think I would be happier if they got rid of the free booze alltogether and just dropped the prices on the good stuff to something sane like they used to be 5 years ago

Baze Oct 27, 2013 11:23 am

Free bears? Guess the NRT UC can be a zoo at times :D

dchen2 Oct 28, 2013 1:51 am

I'm glad they didn't up the price of the sparkling wines at least. The Veuve Cliquot Brut yellow label (previously ~$40 Moet & Chandon Imperial) is a nice ~$45/bottle of champagne and since in my experience the bartenders normally poured a full flute of the good stuff, I don't mind paying $14 for 1/5 to 1/6 a bottle of $40-45 retail champagne.

I let my UC membership expire recently but on the times I'm flying United International Biz and want to unwind before boarding, that's my new routine.

My other preferred drink is a Rum and coke... much harder to justify paying $11 for a 1.5oz pour of Captain and Coke when I can buy a 1L Captain at the Duty Free for $18!

nova08 Oct 28, 2013 8:47 am

Still no wifi authentication in EWR C3 club. They also have the downgraded styrofoam coffee cups that are about the size of a double shot glass and no lids.

XCstud Oct 28, 2013 9:14 am

If the goal is to cut down traffic in the UCs, it's working! I had a redeye last night out of PDX and had about 4 hrs to kill at the airport. I had a day pass, but I went to a nice restaurant just outside of security instead. I enjoyed a couple glasses of Villa Maria private bin Sauvingon Blanc for $8.75/glass and enjoyed watching Sunday night football and the world series on a couple big screen tvs. PDX has free wifi throughout and it was a great place to chill out and relax and much better value and selection on the wine.

Baze Oct 28, 2013 9:16 am

Originally Posted by XCstud (Post 21682036)
If the goal is to cut down traffic in the UCs, it's working! I had a redeye last night out of PDX and had about 4 hrs to kill at the airport. I had a day pass, but I went to a nice restaurant just outside of security instead. I enjoyed a couple glasses of Villa Maria private bin Sauvingon Blanc for $8.75/glass and enjoyed watching Sunday night football and the world series on a couple big screen tvs. PDX has free wifi throughout and it was a great place to chill out and relax and much better value and selection on the wine.

When did UC get day passes? I thought they only had 1 time passes.

ILovetheReds Oct 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by LordTentacle (Post 21677257)
Visited LAX T7 on thursday

I was in there for 15-20min and just in that time watched someone I know was on a one time pass (they were infront of me inline to get in) go to the bar and down 4 drinks then walk over to the snack bar and pick up half the snack bar that wasn't bolted down then back to the bar for another 4 drinks.....
The perons significant other tried to slow them down and I overheard "I paid $15 each for these passes on craigslist and I'm going to get my value from them"

Was not a plesent experience for me or Ms Tentacle

Walked over to the half hidden T6 lounge and had a much better time

I think I would be happier if they got rid of the free booze alltogether and just dropped the prices on the good stuff to something sane like they used to be 5 years ago

They had 8 drinks in 20 minutes?????? I'm surprised the bartender didn't cut them off (I'm surprised they could even walk after just the first four). I wouldn't be suprised if he didn't get on his flight that night if he kept drinking like that.

SPLITTERZ Oct 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds (Post 21683017)
They had 8 drinks in 20 minutes?????? I'm surprised the bartender didn't cut them off (I'm surprised they could even walk after just the first four). I wouldn't be suprised if he didn't get on his flight that night if he kept drinking like that.

This is exactly why these one time passes are a complete joke. Most common thing on eBay for a "United Airlines" search are one time passes for the UC. Where's the exclusivity? :confused:

GoAmtrak Oct 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ (Post 21670857)
Bartender in ORD's C club was so busy swiping cards, he couldn't even keep up with half of his patrons. Bit frustrating.

That sounds like a key feature of the new system, not a bug. :td:

andyh64000 Oct 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds (Post 21683017)

4 drinks from a measured pour isn't that much...now 8 in 20 mins is pretty impressive. Although after drinking 8 drinks with the UC swill liquor I think this would be apropos...

"I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But for now, rest well and dream of large women."