Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I got PN upgrade for 2 on V fare! Can someone explain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:37 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

I am a 1K. I was on a recent 2 cabin domestic flight with a non-Premier companion on the same reservation on a "V" fare. I did a Same Day Change over the phone just within the 24 hour window for the new flight.

The 1K agent offered to me, "I can also offer you complimentary upgrades to First Class." I said, "I thought we had to be on a waiting list." She said, "well, there are plenty of open seats in First, so I will go ahead and upgrade you." I did not object and thanked her.

When I got my new receipt emailed, it showed "PN" for the Fare Class. My CPUs in the past have all shown "R" Class.

I would like to know what happened here so I can possibly request it in the future.

Has anyone else had a similar experience when the phone agent offered a complimentary upgrade over the phone when one normally should have gone on the waiting list for CPUs?

Does the agent have an easy way to view how many Premier Members are booked on a flight? (a phone agent once remarked to me that there were 15 Premier members booked on a flight.)

One additional note: before I requested the same day change, the "Upgraded" list in "Flight Status" showed 9 booked in First (20 seats) & Expert Mode showed F9, R9,PN9,V9.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mkr
I am a 1K. I was on a recent 2 cabin domestic flight with a non-Premier companion on the same reservation on a "V" fare. I did a Same Day Change over the phone just within the 24 hour window for the new flight.

The 1K agent offered to me, "I can also offer you complimentary upgrades to First Class." I said, "I thought we had to be on a waiting list." She said, "well, there are plenty of open seats in First, so I will go ahead and upgrade you." I did not object and thanked her.

When I got my new receipt emailed, it showed "PN" for the Fare Class. My CPUs in the past have all shown "R" Class.

I would like to know what happened here so I can possibly request it in the future.

Has anyone else had a similar experience when the phone agent offered a complimentary upgrade over the phone when one normally should have gone on the waiting list for CPUs?

Does the agent have an easy way to view how many Premier Members are booked on a flight? (a phone agent once remarked to me that there were 15 Premier members booked on a flight.)

One additional note: before I requested the same day change, the "Upgraded" list in "Flight Status" showed 9 booked in First (20 seats) & Expert Mode showed F9, R9,PN9,V9.
Hmmm sounds like the agent rebooked you in either M class or a full Y...perhaps M was the lowest avail bucket at the time.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:43 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Hmmm sounds like the agent rebooked you in either M class or a full Y...perhaps M was the lowest avail bucket at the time.
No, Expert Mode showed V9.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by mkr
It's possible the agent made a mistake and rebooked you into full Y (it's happened to me before). If you got full Y, then you get instant upgraded into PN and JN. Don't be surprised to see 125% PQM posted to your account.

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Possibly a V-Up fare that did not process at ticketing on your original flight (PN0?), or the agent determined you and your companion would have been #1 and 2 on the upgrade list, and cleared you early as a favor.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) The agents can do that sort of thing if they want to.

2) It is entirely possible that they rebooked you in the higher fare even if the lower one was open.

3) Don't bother asking for it in the future. You got a favor, not a change in policy.

Originally Posted by edcho
Don't be surprised to see 125% PQM posted to your account.
That would be quite surprising as lately rebookings into Y which are then upgraded have a habit of posting as the original fare class, not Y/B. If the ticket is not upgraded then the bonus miles are more common.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
That would be quite surprising as lately rebookings into Y which are then upgraded have a habit of posting as the original fare class, not Y/B. If the ticket is not upgraded then the bonus miles are more common.
The few times it happened to me in the past, i've had it post as 125% (or 150% as it was before). I wouldn't count on it happening though like you state ... and had a few times where it wouldn't post at all (it ended up posting as the original fare class when I did land in that situation).
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:03 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
Possibly a V-Up fare that did not process at ticketing on your original flight (PN0?), or the agent determined you and your companion would have been #1 and 2 on the upgrade list, and cleared you early as a favor.
No, this is not it. On my original flight I had been CPU'd into First through the normal Computer process. Receipt for Upgrade to First showed "R" . My V fare was not eligible for PN.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mkr
The presence of V alone doesn't necessarily mean they are presently booking into that bucket (e.g., if you try and book JFK - LAX for this afternoon on the 825pm flight it's booking into U even though the lower fare buckets of H - L all are showing space). V might have had restrictions on it that because of the timing of your SDC call required her to put you into a different bucket to get the system to process the change and in doing so you ended up (mistakenly or not) on a YBM fare which auto-upped you to PN.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by edcho
The few times it happened to me in the past, i've had it post as 125% (or 150% as it was before).
How long ago? It has been posting "correctly" if upgraded in most reported cases for a few months now.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mkr
Oh right sorry! A SHARES glitch
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:23 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
The presence of V alone doesn't necessarily mean they are presently booking into that bucket (e.g., if you try and book JFK - LAX for this afternoon on the 825pm flight it's booking into U even though the lower fare buckets of H - L all are showing space). V might have had restrictions on it that because of the timing of your SDC call required her to put you into a different bucket to get the system to process the change and in doing so you ended up (mistakenly or not) on a YBM fare which auto-upped you to PN.
I believe your interpretation is incorrect. For a Same Day Change, it does not matter what fare is currently being sold. If the Fare bucket for which one's original flight is ticketed shows in Expert Mode for the new flight desired,then one can SDC to the new flight in that original flight fare bucket. Expert Mode also showed V9 after the SDC was made. Further, any Fare Rules or restrictions on the original flight ticket are ignored for Same Day Changes.

Last edited by mkr; Aug 28, 2013 at 12:31 pm Reason: add clarity
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mkr
No, this is not it. On my original flight I had been CPU'd into First through the normal Computer process. Receipt for Upgrade to First showed "R" . My V fare was not eligible for PN.
I think you encountered a benevolent agent. Otherwise, there is no policy or procedural rationale to explain your fortunate circumstances. Sometimes, the travel gods smile on us... but just wait for next time!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is exactly what happened to me about 2 weeks ago. 2 legs rebooked due to irops, both into Y. Instant upgrade on one, which then posted as my original fare class (with the Z in front of it) with no bonus. No upgrade on the second leg, which posted as Y and thus 150%.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: United Gold
I got the bonus on a Y-fare due to IRROPS. Will UA take those bonus PQMs away? I'm going to make 1K with only 153 miles to spare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.