Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA FAs ever really enforce F Lav use?

Old Aug 26, 13, 10:15 am
Original Poster

SFO to MCO...FA made standard speech "Please use the Lavatory in your cabin"

2 Hours into flight guy comes up from Main Cabin to use restroom, FA says "please use the main cabin restroom" guy says "but it's right there" and goes in.. 20 min later lady walks up from main cabin moves curtain and uses restroom FA says nothing...lastly and probably why I'm posting this..

This time my wife is in the restroom, her aisle seat open...Lady walks up to use the restroom decides to plop down in my wife's seat in row 1 on top of her headset wires...nobody says anything...I say "your in my wife's seat" ...she says "Oh I'm just waiting to use the restroom" I said please get off her earplugs...she huffs and goes back to main cabin..

I will say FA did his other duties very well...and I know this is the Disney Magical plane flight but C'mon
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium
IME, very rarely.

See now if UA had heavier, opaque curtains separating the cabins like some international carries I've been on, this wouldn't be a problem.
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:24 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I rarely see the policy actually enforced by the crew.

Can't believe the lady who sat in your wife's seat. I'm not sure how I would have reacted, but I would have insisted she move immediately.
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Blame the irresponsible passenger, not the FA.
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Maybe she didn't want to appear to be 'loitering.'

Along the same lines...
can BF passengers on the 763 - 3 cabin use the lav in front of GF or are they supposed to use the two lavs behind the BF galley? It looks like a lot of Y passengers might be tempted to use those, since all the other lavs are all the way in the back.
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Silver
It's totally dependent on the FA (obviously) - I've seen it enforced well, I've seen nothing done about it. I'd like to see it enforced, but it honestly doesn't bother me all that much. I'm sure sometimes there's a human element to it when someone from coach is carrying a baby, or elderly, or clearly needing to go, etc so the FA's just let them through (rightly or wrongly).
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Some planes only have coach lavs at rear of plane. In that case, and if service art is blocking access, I think access is the humane thing to Allow. If there's a forward coach head, policy should be I forced. F lav shouldn't be back-up to occupied coach lav.
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:33 am

If I recall correctly, the 764 has a strap that snaps across the passage from the E+ bulkhead to BF. I think it was pretty effective.
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I can see why FA's might not like playing the heavy on this issue. But I found it really annoying on recent ps flight in new config - BF cabin is already under-lavatoried and aisle is narrow due to angled seats. So kept getting bumped by Y pax who were hogging BF lavs.
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
I find enforcement quite good on 747's in Global First. One of the things I see them doing more is locking the restrooms and only opening them for GF passengers. A bit annoying because you are never sure if the light saying the restrooms are in use is real or not. But it works!
Old Aug 26, 13, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
if service art is blocking access
this is something I'd like to see!
Old Aug 26, 13, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danM View Post
this is something I'd like to see!
No, it's something you'd like to "c"
Old Aug 26, 13, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I generally think the policy should be enforced and always respectfully use the lavs in the appropriate cabin. For some reason, people seem to always walk forward when looking for a lavatory and I think most are clueless about the policy. But that doesn't give them an out.

On planes like the A320, there are only 2 lavs for 125-140 people in coach, which clearly isn't sufficient. There are often long lines in the back, so I can understand (reluctantly) the need to use the F lav. United is driving this by being so skimpy with the number of lavs.
Old Aug 26, 13, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post

On planes like the A320, there are only 2 lavs for 125-140 people in coach, which clearly isn't sufficient. There are often long lines in the back, so I can understand (reluctantly) the need to use the F lav. United is driving this by being so skimpy with the number of lavs.
On the new config ps, they increased Y capacity from 72 to 114, while leaving only two lavs at the rear of the plane. If you think about it, this is really a greedy decision they made, knowing these aircraft would be used for transcons, increasing Y capacity by nearly 50%, yet failing to add any lavs.
Old Aug 26, 13, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
As a datapoint, AirTran seems to have become VERY serious about policing this. On recent flights, as folks approach the forward lav they actively ask the passenger their row. If its not 1, 2 or 3.....back of the bus for you!

Search this Thread