Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA FAs ever really enforce F Lav use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I thought this was a post 9-11 airline safety thing until I started flying other airlines. I have been on AS, AA, DL and UA this year and only heard this announcement made on UA. Maybe it really is an attempt to keep the F cabin a little quieter and nicer for those who purchased their TOD's
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I see people turned away often, which I believe is appropriate.
Agreed. A better pax to lav ratio is a perk of flying F. I respect it when I'm sitting in Y. Exceptions are appropriate when the need is truly urgent or the aisle is blocked.

UA has exacerbated the problem by seriously under-laving its newer aircraft in Y - e.g., 739s or ps 752s.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA has exacerbated the problem by seriously under-laving its newer aircraft in Y - e.g., 739s or ps 752s.
The 739s have a mid-cabin lav, and one of the lower Y passenger to lav ratio. On the other hand, the 738 and A320 have the worst Y pax to lav ratio, and no mid cabin lavatory. Not unusual to have lav lines stretching to the exit rows on these aircraft.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is not the announcement.

"Don't congregate in front of the forward lav" is for security reasons.
Kacee, I know what it's supposed to be. Regardless, some FAs invoke 'security' bluff to keep the riff raff in steerage. I've heard it many times.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I also see FC pax using the midcabin lav in Coach. Is that fair? The announcement I often hear is "due to security reasons, please use only the lavatory in your assigned cabin." (or words to that effect) That should preclude FC pax from peeing in Y.
Yes it's acceptable

Last edited by goalie; Jul 16, 2015 at 4:31 pm Reason: trolling comments removed
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE:

This is a discussion about what United's policy is w/r/t economy passengers using the lav in the first class cabin but not about what class of people ride in economy or first class, how first class passengers are dressed, how they came to sit in a first class seat and other assorted off topic subjects and posts of that nature have been deleted

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:21 am
Suspended

I was on a flight to EWR where some old lady from coach walked up to the FC lav and she plugged up the toilet with tons of toilet paper. I know this because I was the one waiting to use it after her and noticed she disregarded the curtain. It was totally unusable after that. Luckily it was a TPA--EWR flight and I just held it. Yes.... I was in First in seat 1E.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I was on a flight to EWR where some old lady from coach walked up to the FC lav and she plugged up the toilet with tons of toilet paper. I know this because I was the one waiting to use it after her and noticed she disregarded the curtain. It was totally unusable after that. Luckily it was a TPA--EWR flight and I just held it. Yes.... I was in First in seat 1E.
You asked if FA's enforce it, but what if the FA directed the passenger to use the F lav? This is common procedure when the service cart is blocking the aisle, and I've seen it happen other times as well.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:08 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
On my last flight FCO-EWR I noticed the Y-->C partition had a thick velvet-type rope blocking the corridor. It seemed to stop most front migrations.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Yep, in May I saw the velvet rope blocking the BF lavs while sitting in a bulkhead E+ seat on a 764 EWR-MUC. When other Y pax tried to move the rope to use the BF lav, the FAs were very prompt in shutting it down.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:41 pm

Den-Bos this week it was a steady stream of coach to First. Unreal. They thought it was going to be nicer and cleaner . Not
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Den-Bos this week it was a steady stream of coach to First. Unreal. They thought it was going to be nicer and cleaner . Not
Did you complain to the FA working the FA cabin? If you say something they might put a stop to it.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
In January I got 'shooed' out of the F cabin while dealing with long lines in y on LAX-SFO and SFO-ATL respectively.

Would be one thing if they were cool about it but it was militant sCO F/a's and my company paid for the flight so it was what it was.

Felt out of place when I got to ATL on the 1998 sCO 738.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you complain to the FA working the FA cabin? If you say something they might put a stop to it.
Yes I did. I told her my wife couldn't use the lavatory because of the line up.
No response and no help.
So I stood between the cabins so no one could get thru until she got in.
Ridiculous . There were 4 people behind me.
What a lousy airline.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Yes I did. I told her my wife couldn't use the lavatory because of the line up.
No response and no help.
So I stood between the cabins so no one could get thru until she got in.
Ridiculous . There were 4 people behind me.
What a lousy airline.
Using the lav is a basic human need that should supersede our snobbish demands to protect our elite space in the front of the plane. Some planes may have greater than a 50:1 ratio of pax to lavs back in coach with as few as 8-12 people sharing the front lav.
Some FTers would also demand that they get first use of cabin air, letting the riff raff breathe only after their betters had first shot at it.
And give some thought to the fact that a majority of the coach pax have paid for the flight out of their own pocket while few of us in FC have. In that regard, maybe we, the Elite Flyers, should be at the end of the line.

A little compassion, please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.