Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United website showing incorrect Travel Time - time zone/time change issues

United website showing incorrect Travel Time - time zone/time change issues

Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:33 am

So it seems this might be an issue with SJU flights, as three of us on here with flights to/from SJU all have their flight times messed up.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Itinerary showing incorrect

A few weeks back I purchased a one way ticket for my wife and I EWR to EIS with a connection in SJU. The SJU-EIS leg is operated by Cape Air. I booked the ticket EWR-SJU at 7 am on 12/2 and the SJU-EIS leg is at 2:01 landing at 2:50 PM. We used miles one way to come home on 12/6.

Yesterday I was on my account and just happened to go in and view the reservation. For some reason the SJU-EIS leg now shows leaving SJU on 12/2 at 2:01Pm but landing in EIS at 2:50PM on Thursday 2:50PM. (a little long for a prop Cessna!!). I called United and they said my reservation was fine and they forwarded the issue to web support (it still shows incorrect on my page).

Has this happened to anyone else and do I have any reason to be concerned? I still have my original e ticket receipt which shows all Wednesday travel.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They have had issues with times showing incorrectly off and on since back in the Continental days. If you're worried about it, check with Cape Air, since they're the ones running the flight, and that would be authoritative. Otherwise, I'd just chalk it up to another technology hiccup that should be expected with United Continental Holdings.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:00 am

I wouldn't worry about it right now OP. UA tends to make updates over the weekend and causes some things to not sync up correctly. For example, I have one reservation right now from SFO-ORD that is showing me as Class of Service: Coach (not economy) yet it is an A fare for First Class and it shows the seat map as a 737-900 with 100% economy seat and the flight taking 18 hours and 12 minutes. Another one of my reservations is still showing 24+ hours on a Cessna. They all eventually clean up, IME, and nothing I would call UA about unless it was very close to departure date.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by dank0014
I wouldn't worry about it right now OP. UA tends to make updates over the weekend and causes some things to not sync up correctly. For example, I have one reservation right now from SFO-ORD that is showing me as Class of Service: Coach (not economy) yet it is an A fare for First Class and it shows the seat map as a 737-900 with 100% economy seat and the flight taking 18 hours and 12 minutes. Another one of my reservations is still showing 24+ hours on a Cessna. They all eventually clean up, IME, and nothing I would call UA about unless it was very close to departure date.
Oh wow - thanks for the update. Seems to be a common thing then from the sounds of it. I'll keep an eye on things and wait until it gets closer to departure date.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Weird Flight times on my united.com itinerary, Agent assures me reservation is fine.

I used united.com to make a reservation this morning.

The reservation is OMA-IAH-SJU-STX outbound and STX-SJU-STX-OMA with the flights between SJU and STX being operated by Cape Air.

Everything looked fine when I hit the purchase button, but when I look at my itinerary on united.com, it shows some weird times for the Cape Air flights:

For the SJU-STX leg:
Flight:UA2813

Depart:
7:16 p.m.
San Juan, PR, US (SJU - Luis Muńoz Marín)

Arrive:
8:00 p.m.
St. Croix, VI, US (STX)

Flight Time:
2 hr 44 mn??????????????

For the STX-SJU leg:
Flight: 9K2581

Depart:
9:25 a.m.
St. Croix, VI, US (STX)

Arrive:
10:06 a.m. +1 Day?????????
San Juan, PR, US (SJU - Luis Muńoz Marín)
Travel Time:
22 hr 41 mn????????????

Obviously I called United, and they assured me that the reservation was correct, but couldn't explain why it was showing like this on united.com.

Should I worry? Anyone else ever had this?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
This seems to happen with the display of certain reservations on the web site every once in a while. There have been different explanations on this forum, but I'm not sure there's a better answer than UA's IT has a lot of bugs.

Clearly, STX-SJU, you are just flying the long way around the globe though.

If it looked ok to the agent, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. It really seems to be a web display issue normally.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Here are some strange flight durations on one of my reservations:
MUC-ZRH, 1h55min & 155 miles (should be 55 min)
ZRH-LED, 1 h & 1225 miles (should be 3 hours)
LED-FRA, 4h55min & 1089 miles (should be 2 hours 55 min)
IAD-MUC, 7 h40min & 4424 miles (should be 8 h 40 min)
United has never fixed these since I booked my flights two months ago.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would timezones affect travel time? Seems like they would divide Distance by Velocity.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Why would timezones affect travel time? Seems like they would divide Distance by Velocity.
Velocity isn't published, and neither is distance in a lot of cases. See the SSIM page at IATA for more information on how carriers share schedules.

Local departure and arrival times are published. So duration requires timezone math.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
United has announced they will discontinue service between Guam and Cairns, Australia next month. Apparently they've already downgauged the service from a 737 to a Cessna 182.

This can only explain why they're showing the usual four hour flight time to now be almost 14.

UA, and CO before them, have never been serious about their GUM/CNS service. Fares to Japan from CNS have always been stupidly high for no apparent reason, putting Australians off from using it.

Last edited by jimmc66; Aug 29, 2015 at 1:16 am Reason: meh
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Flight schedule not matching up with time zones?

I'm flying ORD-GRU this Friday night. United schedule shows 9:15pm departure, 11:40am arrival and notes a flight time of 11 hr 25 mn.

Checking several world clocks, Sao Paulo is showing a being 4 hours ahead of Chicago, which, if I'm counting correctly, would mean that an 11hr 25mn flight departing at 9:15pm from Chicago would arrive in Sao Paulo at 12:40pm the next day, not 11:40am.

What am I missing??? I am connecting to a flight from Sao Paulo to Rio which departs at 2:45pm so should have plenty of time even if we do get in at 12:40, but would love to understand in advance and not just see what time it is when I get there
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
The flight durations are notoriously wrong on united.com. You can generally trust the scheduled departure times and arrival times (if the flight operates on schedule).

Check out flightaware's list of recent arrival times for this service to get a sense for when it is likely to take off and land: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL845/history
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Cool. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Incorrect Flight Durations on United Itinerary

Not that I'm really worried, but I am curious. I am taking the following flights on United next week:
UA #58 SFO-FRA 13:45- 9:45 (+1 day) 10h 00m
LH #234 FRA-FCO 12:10-14:00 02h 50m
LH #231 FCO-FRA 9:45-11:45 01h 00m
UA #47 FRA-IAH 13:50-18:10 12h 20m.
The departure and arrival times are inconsistent with the stated flight durations. Looking at the arrival and departure times of UA58 and UA47 today, it's clear that the departure and arrival times are correct. FRA and FCO are in the same time zone. FRA and FCO are seven hours ahead of IAH. And IAH is two hours ahead of SFO.

Has anyone else ever seen cases where the stated flight durations are just not right? I was pretty confused for a while.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.