Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routes with higher upgrade chances on UA to Europe?

Routes with higher upgrade chances on UA to Europe?

Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Easiest upgrade to get (r space) from IAD to Europe

I tried doing a search and found nothing. I was looking for flights to Europe next July (yes that far away) and saw no R space from IAD/EWR/ORD to lhr. Granted its a long time from now but I was a little surprised. Is this because I'm so early in looking? Or is lhr very low on r space? Which European destination from IAD (or EWR or ORD) has most consistent r space? I would probably fly on a Tuesday-Thursday to optimize my chances! Thanks for any help! And if there is a thread about this, please direct me. Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
BRU or AMS. Also DUB.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ddrost1
BRU or AMS. Also DUB.
BRU and AMS are at the top of the list IME, and I really like both because they have excellent train connections to other major cities. When you trying to get multiple R sets those are good stations to start with.

But regardless, Europe is a small continent and intra-Europe economy airfares or first class rail trips are dirt cheap. So don't worry about your final destination nor your originating city.

Simply loop through each of IAD, IAH, EWR, ORD and then for each city, look for one way R space to each nonstop European destination. Then look for one R space from each nonstop European city back to the UA huns. Once you have confirmable space, add the originating US city to your united.com search, book a round trip (if the arriving and returning city in Europe are the same) or a multicity (if the arriving and returning cities are different), wait to ticket, and upgrade.

Then figure out how to get to between your European destination and cities you are actually flying to/from. If by air, book two one ways. If by rail, book two one ways if necessary, or purchase your tickets when you get to the train station.

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 2, 2013 at 12:44 am
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765

Then figure out how to get to between your European destination and cities you are actually flying to/from. If by air, book two one ways. If by rail, book two one ways if necessary, or purchase your tickets when you get to the train station.
I would caution buying air tickets intra-Europe on a different PNR. European airlines, and particularly budget ones which nowadays account for the majority of the flights, are absolutely strict about missing flights and no re-accommodation. If you can possibly get connecting flights within your original ticket search, you would be far better off as you'd have protection should the first flight be delayed or re-timed.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ddrost1
BRU or AMS. Also DUB.
BRU and AMS are the easiest, IME.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
The 1300 departure from LHR to IAD can also be easy.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
The 1300 departure from LHR to IAD can also be easy.
That's an interesting one. For whatever reason, whenever I've tried using United.com to search for LHR-XXX with a connection in IAD that 13:00 flight rarely shows up in the search results, even though it is wide open.

As if some bug prevents it from being there, and thus fewer people book it and take the space.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Easiest upgrade to get (r space) from IAD to Europe

Thanks for the advice! I would probably use rail to get around and not air.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by halls120
BRU and AMS are the easiest, IME.
Correct. I have seen R2 on IAD/EWR-DUB reasonably consistently of late...if booking a ways in advance. Some of the obscure UK locations with 757 service are the same way.

Rankings wise I would say AMS>BRU>DUB~LHR>anywhere else. YMMV.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Great thread. Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sb3
I know you wanted to avoid FRA, but it appears there is a seat you can confirm now (if you act fast) on #932 (IAD to FRA).
Thx--I wasn't fast enough, and it looks like there are lots of biz seats, so I'm hoping....
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Over the past few years I've noticed R space on the IAD-FRA flights. Some times are easier than others but generally it's available except during holidays or a peak travel period.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.