Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When is it going to be something we like??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is it going to be something we like??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
To clarify, it was Ch9 along with the new 777's and other things that got me to UA... MP has kept me.

In its day not many carriers at all had audio entertainment on short hops. Ch9 was and still is very interesting. It stood out to me over what DL offered then.

Live ATC wouldn't work, not only since you would miss the most entertaining parts of the flight, but should you follow the flight the frequent frequency changes would make it be too hard to stick with all the way.

This whole thread has detoured.. It's not a UA vs CO, or my CPUs clear more than yours... All I was trying to see how long people had been a customer of UA, why they chose UA in the beginning, and how long they intend to stay with the ever changing product. Like I said there are so many challenges to doing business with UA, it's fascinating people stay...I honestly am not sure I know why I stay either. The PNR split has got to be the biggest joke... Lets tell MP members they can have a companion at their same status, but last min lets tell them the only way for a CPU is to split the companion off...hmmm like I said a confusing mess for many. Based on many threads, many people have to work or put effort into doing business with UA, and that's interesting to me. Most businesses, if you make the customer work for your product or service, they will go elsewhere. Just my thoughts, take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by asphaltman; Aug 19, 2013 at 7:27 am Reason: response to deleted post
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When I was starting to make $ and I finally got a frequent flyer credit card it was with Continental so that is what I flew being based out of NYC for a few trips a year to the West Coast and Europe. Then CO and UA merged and I started flying more and more and I had my miles and I'm typically very brand loyal so with no problems flying from NYC to SFO/LAX or CDG & TXL I didn't see a reason to switch to any other domestic U.S. airline.

And now working more independently when and where I want I am happy that I can use the *A network to book reward or benefit from flights on other carriers like ANA, Singapore, Lufthansa, etc.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have been flying UA for almost 13 years. I have seen their services deteriorate over the years. But, they still have the most flights to east Asia (the majority of my travel to) and the Star Alliance network of the other Asian airlines are very good. In term of services, I don't think any US airlines can compete with the Asian Airlines, so switch to AA or DL is not an option for me.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Because it offers the most convenient flights to most places I want to go. That's how the vast majority of people choose an airline.
Please god tell me that Jeff wasn't right. That it may actually all be about the network.

Regarding this thread in general, I think many (not all) of the people that post on a forum are obsessive. They pay a lot more attention to the little things than the average person who just gets on the plane as they would get on a bus. It's not a hobby for them, it's merely transport.

I fly as much as most on this forum, and while my experiences are not perfect, and could certainly be better, most of the time things are good. They get me there pretty much on time, comfortably, give me upgrades, free bags, good mileage redemption etc.

Most of the "things Jeff thinks we like" seem to be aimed at the folks who are not regular fliers.

They have the option to decide on the day if they want a cheap upgrade to a better seat, or faster passage through the airport, or watch tv, or rent wifi, or having nothing at all...
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Most of the "things Jeff thinks we like" seem to be aimed at the folks who are not regular fliers.
Like what? I'm not really following you on this.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:45 pm

Like what? I'm not really following you on this.
They have the option to decide on the day if they want a cheap upgrade to a better seat, or faster passage through the airport, or watch tv, or rent wifi, or having nothing at all...

Those are changes that many kettles would like.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Those are changes that many kettles would like.
No, I don't think so. I don't think non-elites like being lined up in queues and then offered the opportunity to buy their way up, or going through lengthy security lines (made longer because other people are being expedited) and then offered the opportunity to pay to be expedited. These are simply things that UA does because they generate a lot of revenue. Not because anyone likes them.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:55 pm

It's a lot about expectation, or maybe entitlement. For example, every time I get something for being an elite that didn't cost me anything, I say to myself, that's great, and pay myself on the back, but it does not feel to me like I am owed it. For example.

1. When I flew to SMF on the 17th, I received a complimentary upgrade 5 days before my trip. - I thought to myself, that's nice.

2. When I walked towards security, and took the line for TSA Pre-check, walked to the front of the line, didn't take off shoes or unpack my bag, I thought to myself, that's nice.

3. When I had my re-departure Bloody Mary, I thought to myself, that's nice.

While I do give the airline an element of loyalty by choice, I don't pay any more per ticket than the guy who only flies them once in a while. If anything, I probably pay less. On top of that, I don't pay for bags, get more weight, mine usually come off the belt first, and I get on and off the plane first

These perks are given to me for free, and I am thankful for them. Other people (kettles) are now being given the option to pay for the perks on a per use basis, and that's just fine for me. I get them for free

DavidDesJ wrote
"These are simply things that UA does because they generate a lot of revenue. Not because anyone likes them."
----------------------

The guy who sat down beside me on the flight to SMF bought a TOD into first class. He was in his late 60's, and while I have no way to verify what he told me, he said that the upgrade cost him "$30 odd dollars" roundtrip LAX-SMF-LAX...

He certainly seemed to like the change :P, and I am fine with that.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:11 am
Suspended

It's a lot about expectation, or maybe entitlement. For example, every time I get something for being an elite that didn't cost me anything, I say to myself, that's great, and pay myself on the back
It's interesting. When I experience these things, mostly I feel sympathy for the people who are not so fortunate. Why should UA queue up passengers like cattle just so that my privileged position can be enforced more easily? It makes me uncomfortable, not grateful.

While I do give the airline an element of loyalty by choice, I don't pay any more per ticket than the guy who only flies them once in a while.
See, this is another difference between us, I pay vastly more than the average traveler, just for convenience and flexibility and certainty of upgrades, and because I can afford to. I don't mind the concept that I should board first as small compensation for paying several hundred dollars more---it's the passengers who are willing to pay more who help to lower fares for everyone else. But it still feels uncomfortable that UA seems to me to be doing very little to improve the experience for the average traveler, and a whole lot just for me (which, interestingly, seems to be just the opposite of what you think).
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:30 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
No, I don't think so. I don't think non-elites like being lined up in queues and then offered the opportunity to buy their way up, or going through lengthy security lines (made longer because other people are being expedited) and then offered the opportunity to pay to be expedited. These are simply things that UA does because they generate a lot of revenue. Not because anyone likes them.
Monsieur DaviddesJ, I sometimes read your posts and wonder where you are coming from....

"I don't think non-elites like being lined up in queues [maybe they don't but they don't know better AND they know they are there because they didn't pay for fast track] and then offered the opportunity to buy their way up, or going through lengthy security lines (made longer because other people are being expedited) and then offered the opportunity to pay to be expedited. These are simply things that UA does because they generate a lot of revenue. Not because anyone likes them. [this makes ZERO sense - they generate a lot of revenue because non-elite/kettle travelers are paying them. Because these services do not cost anything to elites] "

I have been open on here that my 1.5 million miles cost me about $70K a year for about 13 years. I have been flying United for 13 years, coming from British Airways where I was a premium passenger with them for another 10 years. I was extremely loyal and I would go OUT of my way to take UA flights before the merger to keep adding to my MM status - as I am certain many others did. This contradicts your first comment.

Non-elites or "kettles" travel once or twice a year, they pay the cheapest fare, they don't care what airline, they wait in long lines because, well they know the "Fast Track" are for those who pay for it. I knew the difference when I was 5 years old - and I would tell myself I didn't want to wait in lines.

Now United sells these "perks" that used to go to the flyer who flew 25,000+ miles to kettles for $8 and upgrades for whatever the price.

Those perks, as I see it, and I am certain many many others see it the same, is to make the road warrior's life easier. Not to be meshed together with those who travel once a year. Am I saying I am better than a kettle? Absolutely not - am I saying as someone who spends $70K a year vs someone who spends $300 for one ticket in the past 12 mos, paid $8 to fast track, clogging up the security line erks me? ABSOLUTELY.

On top of it, for me, sitting across the aisle, overhearing him on his cell phone saying he upgraded on the kiosk for a $100, "$100! Can you believe it?! I've never flown first class before!" While I paid $1200 for my ticket (true story) is unsettling. I'd rather fly UA only when I need to and go to another airline who appreciates my business.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:34 am

See, this is another difference between us, I pay vastly more than the average traveler, just for convenience and flexibility and certainty of upgrades, and because I can afford to. I don't mind the concept that I should board first as small compensation for paying several hundred dollars more---it's the passengers who are willing to pay more who help to lower fares for everyone else. But it still feels uncomfortable that UA seems to me to be doing very little to improve the experience for the average traveler, and a whole lot just for me (which, interestingly, seems to be just the opposite of what you think).
The problem is that folks can't have it both ways. There are many on this forum that will tell you that on more or less every flight there are kettle flyers who buy upgrades for $10 that resign the elite member (them) to economy.

You on the other hand are saying that rightly or wrongly that you need to purchase a higher fare in order to get your upgrade.

One of the items isn't true, and it isn't yours
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
[this makes ZERO sense - they generate a lot of revenue because non-elite/kettle travelers are paying them. Because these services do not cost anything to elites] "
These fees generate a lot of revenue because people are paying them. That doesn't mean they like being held up for the fees. If you put a gun to someone's head, and ask them to pay you $100 or you'll shoot them, then they will definitely pay. But that doesn't mean they are grateful or they like the experience.

If that makes zero sense to you, ok, I can't make it any clearer, you will have to go on without understanding it.

You've got millions of dollars to spend on air travel. You've got it way better than the average person and you're complaining that your experience isn't as much better as you'd like. I've also got millions of dollars to spend on air travel, but this doesn't make me wish that other people would have it worse just so I can have it a little better. We are just different and we will never be alike.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:43 am

Biggest plus from the merger: free SDC within 24 hours for Gold+.

Huge huge huge deal for me. Has saved my behind on almost every other flight. In fact just tonight I was able to use SDC to get back to SF an entire day early.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by sincx
Biggest plus from the merger: free SDC within 24 hours for Gold+.

Huge huge huge deal for me. Has saved my behind on almost every other flight. In fact just tonight I was able to use SDC to get back to SF an entire day early.
+1. There have been lots of annoyances but that is a real improvement.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: UA Gold
I started flying UA almost exclusively in 1995. Why? Convenience. For several years we lived near SFO so it just made sense. Then as we moved around we remained loyal to UA because we were comfortable with the service, schedule, and perks. I miss some of those perks. It was nice when you could often count on having seats blocked next to yours, for instance. I understand the reality of today's travel but I still don't like the packed planes, everyone trying to avoid baggage charges by carrying oversized bags onboard and oftentimes robbing me of my overhead storage space, among other issues. I fly upfront most of the time now but even that isn't the experience it once was. How long will I stay? Well, I'm not 100% loyal to UA any more. Delta is often a good choice for me and their crews aren't as unhappy. It makes a difference! But I still like UA. I keep thinking they will iron out all the problems and become a top notch customer service company once more. Right now the value isn't always there. Where I never used to care if UA cost a little more, now I shop around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.