Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for best biz award from IAH to NRT

Advice needed for best biz award from IAH to NRT

Old Aug 15, 13, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: SW, UA, IHG Plat, Hilton, Marriott
Smile Advice needed for best biz award from IAH to NRT

Hoping to get some advice or guidance. My In-laws will be traveling with my wife and I to Tokyo next year and I’m trying to book them in business on the way there and economy on the way back; they currently have 185k miles. The award availability leaving on March 9 from IAH to NRT is a bit crappy. The one flight that stands out is the IAH to ORD to NRT but I don’t want them to deal with a 9 hour layover. The other flights go eastward and don’t want to put them through an exhausting trip to NRT. I understand there are some available Air China flights but I’d prefer not to have them fly through them as I’ve read reviews and it seems their business product is not as good as others. However, if I had no choice I’d put them on there.

So my question: is there better award availability with another carrier that I can use her United miles on? Or is United.com pulling all the available flights that go to NRT? Any secrets or tips someone can point me to?

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 13, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by nolimit186 View Post
So my question: is there better award availability with another carrier that I can use her United miles on? Or is United.com pulling all the available flights that go to NRT? Any secrets or tips someone can point me to?
The web site shows mst partner availability, but you'll have to do some playing around to find creative routes that it may not suggest. Calling in is often a good option. I've had some very helpful agents find some very creative award routings.
Old Aug 15, 13, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Can they go on the 10th?

UA1620 connecting to NH11 is available in biz for 2 with a 2 hour layover in ORD. NH11 (77W) has a much better seat than NH1011 (772) on the 9th.
Old Aug 15, 13, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, many others
"....Iím trying to book them in business on the way there and economy on the way back...."

This can be personal preference, but having done IAH to NRT many times in the past, I would much prefer economy going and business returning to help jetlag adjustment. Flying there would be essentially a day flight, while the returns are a night flight --- much easier to sleep in business!
Old Aug 15, 13, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by gadfly View Post
"....Iím trying to book them in business on the way there and economy on the way back...."

This can be personal preference, but having done IAH to NRT many times in the past, I would much prefer economy going and business returning to help jetlag adjustment. Flying there would be essentially a day flight, while the returns are a night flight --- much easier to sleep in business!
I ech the return in business.

Flying in C on the outbound can spoil you! Better to save the treat for the return!
Old Aug 15, 13, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW, UA, IHG Plat, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The web site shows mst partner availability, but you'll have to do some playing around to find creative routes that it may not suggest. Calling in is often a good option. I've had some very helpful agents find some very creative award routings.
I will try this before considering anything else. Thanks!

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Can they go on the 10th?

UA1620 connecting to NH11 is available in biz for 2 with a 2 hour layover in ORD. NH11 (77W) has a much better seat than NH1011 (772) on the 9th.
No, I'd like for them to arrive at the same day we arrive. I did consider it though.

Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
I ech the return in business.

Flying in C on the outbound can spoil you! Better to save the treat for the return!
Might mention this to them. We're returning on the 17th of March and there are slighly better flights on the return.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: