Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Paid Lounge Membership Customers
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airlines Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
UC Members do not get access to the Star Alliance lounges located in Buenos Aires (EZE), Los Angeles (LAX), Nagoya (NGO), Paris (CDG), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Rome (FCO), Amsterdam (AMS) and Sao Paulo (GRU). (Appears access is now permitting -- since 2020??)

Family access is not valid for partner lounges

Physical members card is required for entry (appears UA is saying virtual, app card is sufficient for *A lounges)

Lounge Information - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Search using
United Club for Paid Membership under the dropdown list, for airport specific lounges that gives you access.

What if I am also a *G?
You can enter a partner lounge as *G (Star Alliance Gold) or as a UC Member but not as both. You will be limited to +1 guest even if *G and also UC/ML membership, Benefits do not stack.
In the case of those partners with a *G lounge and a Business lounge (Such as LH), your *G status will get you into the better *G lounge while the UC membership provides access to just the Business Lounge.

List of partner related lounges accessible via the club card

USA Lounges with UA *G Access When Flying Domestic
Does United Club Membership Give Access to * Gold Lounges in the USA?

Print Wikipost

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:05 pm

Ok, thanks. I thought maybe UA had a lounge in B since they have some flights there. So much for that idea. I guess I feel silly spending money on that CC card and not being able to use the lounge before a flight. Is there a good lounge at LHR I would have access to with United either by flying with them or a different airline ?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Phillies
Ok, thanks. I thought maybe UA had a lounge in B since they have some flights there. So much for that idea. I guess I feel silly spending money on that CC card and not being able to use the lounge before a flight. Is there a good lounge at LHR I would have access to with United either by flying with them or a different airline ?
The issue at both EWR and LHR is flying VS is you are flying out of different terminals than UA (and where its lounges are located)

While in EWR, it appears VS and UA are both in Terminal B, Terminal B is actually 3 separate terminals with three separate security access and UA uses Term B mostly for International arrivals and a few overflow flights -- the departure activity is small.

At LHR VS is in a terminal far away from the UA gates / lounges. If flying from T2, there is a great UA UC and a number of partner lounges (partner lounges already require *A departure flight as UA will in Novemeber.

So, in theory until November, you have access but in practice, it is not very practical.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2019 at 1:04 pm Reason: wrong code for VS
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The issue at both EWR and LHR is flying VS is you are flying out of different terminals than UA (and where its lounges are located)

While in EWR, it appears VS and UA are both in Terminal B, Terminal B is actually 3 separate terminals with three separate security access and UA uses Term B mostly for International arrivals and a few overflow flights -- the departure activity is small.

At LHR VS is in a terminal far away from the UA gates / lounges.

So, in theory until November, you have access but in practice, it is not very practical.
Ok, thanks. Well, it was worth a shot at least...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2019 at 1:03 pm Reason: wrong code for VS
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Phillies
Is there a good lounge at LHR I would have access to with United either by flying with them or a different airline ?
Yes, the United Club at LHR is probably the best one in the entire system. But really only accessible if you are departing on an airline that uses T2 (i.e., one of the Star Alliance carriers).

(OT, but Virgin Atlantic's IATA code is VS. VA is Virgin Australia. I always have to look these up )
Old May 19, 2019, 11:03 pm

United MileagePlus Club Card for Star Alliance

Considering getting the Chase United MileagePlus Club Card, but would like to know if I can gain access to Star Alliance lounges when flying Lufthansa. I'm specifically wanting access in FRA and MUC.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, as a United Club member you will have access to the LH Business lounges if departing on a Lufthansa operated flight.

Here's the specific rule:
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs.
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
LF72 likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; May 19, 2019 at 11:13 pm
Old May 20, 2019, 11:57 am

Cheers. Been getting mixed messages.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Is the UA partner lounge page (linked in the Wiki) kept up to date? It includes some surprising ones, like the GOL Sala VIP in GIG (where there is a *A lounge) and a Plaza Premium Lounge in DEL (where there are at least 3 *G lounges).
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:56 pm

United Club Credit Card Lounge access

I got the United Club credit card about a week ago and tried it out for the first time today with mixed results. At Heathrow I was able to go in the Lufthansa Senator lounge, but at Frankfurt I was denied entry at the Lufthansa Business and Senator lounges. They even showed me a page that showed the United Club credit card with a big red X through it meaning not accepted for entry. The attendants said I had to show a physical or mobile United Club card, not a credit card. I never received a Club Card in the mail, only the credit card. I can't find a club card anywhere in the United App when I log into my account. The only thing I can find is under subscriptions it says I have a club membership. I showed that to the attendant, but he just repeated that he needed to see a physical club card or a picture of the club card in my app.

I believe I am supposed to have access to those lounges with my club membership through the club credit card. My boarding pass didn't work for access at Frankfurt or Heathlow, but at Heathrow they scanned my club credit card and that worked. At Frankfurt he scanned that and it did not grant me access. I will be passing through Frankfurt again in a few days. Did I do something wrong? Is there anything different I can do next time to get Lufthansa lounge access?

Thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, FMNY

The Chase MP Club credit card is not a generally acceptable method for lounge access.

You need the United Club membership card (for partners, generally you need the physical card). The Virtual Card is in My Profile (cleck on the face icon in the upper right of the home page), next to the UA MP membership card. It does take a little time for the UC membership to show up in your Profile -- a week or so. I don't think will be visible to the partners based on your UA MP number of BP -- hence the need for the physical card. UA can see it just based on your MP number / BP.

BTW, you not eligible for the LH Senator Lounge, just the Business Lounge. But at LHR there is a great UC in T2B
onthesam likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Have you checked that your United Club Card and your United Mileage Plus number are linked?
Is your name on your credit card the same as your name for your United Mileage Plus account?

Just a few useful troubleshooting tips to go through before calling Chase customer service.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FMNY
at Heathrow they scanned my club credit card and that worked.
Be sure to check your statement. There's no link from the credit card to a club membership, so they may have run the card to charge you for a day pass.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
@FMNY:
\
You should have received (or be receiving) a physical United Club card (not the CC). That's the ticket (or the virtual one that should be on your United app).
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:43 pm

Some two years ago I stopped by that Frankfurt LH lounge for the sole purpose to see if they would let me in based on my mobile UA club membership card. That was a topic back then already and it seems nothing has changed. I had a friendly chat with them. The reason they gave me for denying entry to the lounge is that the mobile UA club card does not show a SA logo. It wasn't that they needed a physical card. It's that the physical card has an SA logo and the mobile one does not. Up until that answer I didn't even realize there was a difference. There must be a reason UA does not include the SA logo on the mobile card. I don't think I used or was asked for the physical club membership card anywhere else ever.

Last edited by fly046; Jul 25, 2019 at 8:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:47 pm

The virtual card on the App expressly states "Physical card needed to access Star Alliance and partner lounges."

So you'll have to await delivery of the physical card to be assured entry to those.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.