Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are all UA gates at SFO within the same terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Are all UA gates at SFO within the same terminal and inside the security checkpoint?

In other words, do pax stay within the secure area for gate transfers or must they go through another TSA/pseudo-TSA check?

Thank you.

Last edited by twtrvl; Aug 14, 2013 at 2:06 pm
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: United Gold
Which airport?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Did you try looking on the United website?
Airports and terminal maps
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Which airport?

SFO

Sorry, I thought I had SFO in the thread title. (I'm getting my caffeine, Coke, and Excedrin right now!)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by twtrvl
SFO

Sorry, I thought I had SFO in the thread title. (I'm getting my caffeine, Coke, and Excedrin right now!)
No, UA gates are distributed across T1, T3, and international terminal concourse G.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Are all UA gates at SFO within the same terminal and inside the security checkpoint?

In other words, do pax stay within the secure area for gate transfers or must they go through another TSA/pseudo-TSA check?

Thank you.
SFO

If you are on a solely domestic USA itinerary, you should not need to re-clear security / TSA when connecting.

What route on are you on?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Did you try looking on the United website?
Airports and terminal maps

Yes, thank you.

As far as I can tell, however, that doesn't answer my concern about security. On DL, we had to go through security again at SFO before connecting. So, I would like to ascertain whether it's the same with UA.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
If you are on a solely domestic USA itinerary, you should not need to re-clear security / TSA when connecting.

It will be from HNL. I haven't booked yet, but I plan to fly from HNL to SAN, PDX, or SEA via SFO, as the plane type options are preferable through SFO.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, thank you.

As far as I can tell, however, that doesn't answer my concern about security. On DL, we had to go through security again at SFO before connecting. So, I would like to ascertain whether it's the same with UA.
You will not need to go through security again.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
It will be from HNL. I haven't booked yet, but I plan to fly from HNL to SAN, PDX, or SEA via SFO, as the plane type options are preferable through SFO.
Generally speaking you should not need to re-clear security.

There is a possibility that your flight from SFO to one of those cities, if it is on United Express, may depart from Terminal 1. To get to Terminal 1 from Terminal 3, where you are most likely to arrive from HNL, you can take a special shuttle bus that keeps you behind security.

You can also exit security, take the airport train, and re-clear security -- but you won't be required to do this.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21

How would you arrive at T-3 and board in T-1? Oh never mind, I just read post #10--shuttle bus.

In another of life's mysteries, if you are on airside T-3, is it easy to meander over into the airside of T-2? Sometimes, the United Clubs look way too congested and I feel like using my AAdmirals Club access.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Aug 14, 2013 at 2:41 pm Reason: T-3 to T-1 question has been answered
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: Platinum
If you pick a United Express flight (T3 to T1), make sure you have a decent layover time between flights. Of course, if you are flying UX, in or out of SFO, expect 1-2 hour delays.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
In another of life's mysteries, if you are on airside T-3, is it easy to meander over into the airside of T-2? Sometimes, the United Clubs look way too congested and I feel like using my AAdmirals Club access.
T3 and T2 are not connected airside.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noah
Generally speaking you should not need to re-clear security.

There is a possibility that your flight from SFO to one of those cities, if it is on United Express, may depart from Terminal 1. To get to Terminal 1 from Terminal 3, where you are most likely to arrive from HNL, you can take a special shuttle bus that keeps you behind security.

You can also exit security, take the airport train, and re-clear security -- but you won't be required to do this.

Should there have been a shuttle behind security for DL? (DL staff said no other option, but FTers know more.)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
When I flew on DL out of SFO (three years of DL Diamond with SFO as home airport), all domestic operations were out of T1 (and only out of the east wing of T1). It's possible that this has changed since then, but...

Were you coming in from an international destination on DL?
Was your connection onto an AS operated flight?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Not airside, no. With the exception of T3-Intl G none of the terminals are connected airside. The only airside connection is the United bus mentioned above, which is T1<-->T3/IntlG only.

However SFO do allow you to enter any terminal with a boarding pass for another terminal, so as long as you're willing to re-clear security twice you can do it. I've had no trouble getting into T2 in the past with a United boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.