Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I'm a 1K. I fly roughly 10-15 long haul (8hr+) trips per year. Usually it's booked in economy and GPU assisted into business class. It's been a long time since I took a long haul flight in economy.
Based on your travel patterns, I can see why you don't have a problem with this change. United J (sCO or sUA) is a outstanding when you are paying a small fraction of the price for it.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Based on your travel patterns, I can see why you don't have a problem with this change. United J (sCO or sUA) is a outstanding when you are paying a small fraction of the price for it.
as said, we paid BF for all three of these china trips. Nonstop, and cheaper than the competition that I would be willing to fly. I would assume, but accept that it's only an assumption that there are a lot of people that are pay Y and GPU into BF type folks around. Most, but not all of mine are that way. Doesn't everyone want to pay less and get more ?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
We were talking about NZ, and looking at their actual Premium Economy seats they don't seem hugely better than UA E+.
If you detour via LAX as well, you get an even better PE on NZ:

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/...g-to-auckland/
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:16 am

I'm surprised this route hasn't been cut yet. I guess a 777 is better than nothing. UA would like nothing better than to switch to RJ flying and close the Global First Lounge at LAX. Just wait. That will be next.

In all seriousness : This really sucks for UA non revs, (who basically dominate Global First anyway) . Major upgrade for Y class flyers.

I'm surprised the 777-200ER can fly that far overwater. Will there be technical stops in HNL? ( in the fashion on EWR-TXL and IAD-CDG?)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cranky1K
I agree this would be an improvement for Y but a setback for J and a total loss for GF.
Smisek promised power and free IFE streaming in Y on the 747s. Apparently he lied.

That said, if he was correct, then what is the practical difference.

On the other hand, you can't compensate for all the capacity taken away. Which is what happens when 777s replace 747s.

PMCO doesn't even offer the full can of Coke in Y as standard beverage service. Terrible.

The 747 also shaves a bit of flight time. Always good.

Originally Posted by kziel777
Something tells me United knows more about the economics of the route than some people on FlyerTalk, but hey, that's just me.
That is what the defenders said when hKG-SIN went from widebody to a 737.

It pretty quickly stopped being a 737.

So no, a conclusion that COdbaUA is brilliant is by no means solid.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 2013 at 5:30 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
We were talking about NZ, and looking at their actual Premium Economy seats they don't seem hugely better than UA E+.
Uninformed opinion and totally wrong. There's a reason that seat commands a premium price.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST
I'm surprised the 777-200ER can fly that far overwater. Will there be technical stops in HNL? ( in the fashion on EWR-TXL and IAD-CDG?)
Given that UA routinely operates this aircraft on a route 500 miles longer (EWR-HKG), I'm not sure I see an issue with range.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fly18725
What is "better for pax"? An improved product that is provides better value or more capacity than needed so the pax can pay less and then easily upgrade?
What is "better for pax" is an aircraft that will actually get them to their destination in some halfway reliable fashion, somewhere vaguely near the scheduled arrival time.

It's quite surreal to me to see people whimpering about the (rumored) end of UA 747 service to SYD, when there are literally thousands of posts over many years documenting the horrendous record of these flights with their broken-down equipment. I'm sure many of the victims of this poor service will heave a vast, collective sigh of relief.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Uninformed opinion and totally wrong. There's a reason that seat commands a premium price.
It's not uninformed because it's based on looking at the actual seats and their specifications. Of course, you can disagree. The 773 Premium Economy seats do look very nice.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by hotturnip

It's quite surreal to me to see people whimpering about the (rumored) end of UA 747 service to SYD, when there are literally thousands of posts over many years documenting the horrendous record of these flights with their broken-down equipment. I'm sure many of the victims of this poor service will heave a vast, collective sigh of relief.
Not all of us have such the "horrid" time
The vast majority of us never have an issue and thus never post

50 segments on TPAC to and fro SYD in 36 months
1 MX and 0 delays
The one MX was caused when a catering truck drove into the side of the plane which isn't exactly UA's complete fault.... and they booked me onto airNZ so I got to my destination early in the end
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Given that UA routinely operates this aircraft on a route 500 miles longer (EWR-HKG), I'm not sure I see an issue with range.
Perhaps you should factor in no-wind polar routes versus So. Pacific routes.

The CO 777 can certainly make it non-stop, but there will be some weight penalties, particularly westbound.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:59 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Any chance that the 787s will take over the LAX/SFO to SYD route if they stop catching on fire? Boeing claims that their 787-9 has a range of 8000-8500 miles. I haven't flown in a 787 yet but it seems like it would be a nice ride.

Other question... in this thread you have people lamenting the crews that will be taken off the LAX-SYD and SFO-SYD routes while another thread makes these crews sound like an over-entitled group who have too much seniority to be bothered. So are they good or not good? (I've seen both)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:27 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by born sleepy
I don't get all the hate for the CO BF seat. I have slept like a log in those on long-haul CO 777s many times. Once I flew UA 744 in F (before it was GF, ca 2002, I think it was called First Suite) to SYD and back and I know I slept better in the CO seat.

Haven't experienced the new GF seat but the CO BF seat is fiiiine. I'm not a tall man so maybe that's in my favor.
yes the first suite was horrible so was the old business class recliner seat.

Have you flown in the pmUA BF seat. even at 4 wide i feel i have more room to stretch out and relax. I got to compare the two within three hours of each other. First the pmUA BF then pmCO BF. I felt so claustrophobic in the pmCO seat that I just couldn't sleep at all.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by JC1120
I don't disagree with you, but I think the last poll that was done on the sUA vs the sCO seats shows that significantly more people on FT prefer the sCO seat.
Yes, it was around a 60/40 split in favor of the sCO seat, IIRC. I just wonder how many of the respondents in that poll had actually experienced both seats.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by swm61230

And I agree that the pmCO BF seat is the worst. I never thought it really could get much worse then a pmUA BF seat but I was proven wrong when I was on a 787 NRT-LAX. Which is another one of the pmUA LAX based flights that has gone by way of the dodo bird.
The 787 BF seats are smaller than the 772 BF seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.