Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MackeyBloom
Just booked a trip LAX-SYD and noticed that it is on a 777.
First flight is apparently 29 March - it took me by surprise. Does this mean that UA is doing away with all 747's?
No, UA is not getting rid of them. They are just moving them to routes where there is little or no competition.

UA seems to be relying on fortress hubs and a passenger base that has no choice of carriers these days.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: UAL Global Services; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
What's up with SYD

Was getting ready to book a D ticket to SYD in March/April and now see that the flights are 777-200's. Where are the 747's going that were on this route, and do they come back.

Not very many F seats for these two long routes.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks,

Kansas Cowboy
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yep, 747s are switching to 777s indefinitely. Not many people are buying UA F.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by cowboy
Was getting ready to book a D ticket to SYD in March/April and now see that the flights are 777-200's. Where are the 747's going that were on this route, and do they come back.

Not very many F seats for these two long routes.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks,

Kansas Cowboy
There is competition on the SYD route.

When there is competition, UA loses.

UA only has so many captive passengers who are stuck flying UA (either due to living in a fortress hub or due to corporate contracts).

UA can't fill a 744 with those captive passengers, so is downsizing the route to a smaller airplane.

It's all UA knows how to do these days. Well, other than just cut the route.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Does anybody know where the 747's are going? That opens a lot of options for the equipment.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
SFO-NRT. In retaliation for 2x ORD-NRT, SJC-NRT, and 2x JFK-NRT by ANA in the last year (just my guess)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 1353513636
SFO-NRT. In retaliation for 2x ORD-NRT, SJC-NRT, and 2x JFK-NRT by ANA in the last year (just my guess)
You guess wrong. There is no "retaliation" with regards to ANA - UA shares the revenues and costs for those flights, and they are jointly scheduled by UA and NH.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; HTC One Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Why would the deploy to NRT be in retaliation to ANA? UA had a joint venture with them across the Pacific, whereby revenue is split.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sammybk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; HTC One Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Why would the deploy to NRT be in retaliation to ANA? UA had a joint venture with them across the Pacific, whereby revenue is split.
I thought it was because revenue is split by seats, so if ANA added more seats, they would get a higher share of (more) revenue, so UA wanted to get more. I'm pretty sure that's where the aircraft's gone although I'm no expert on why.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

You guess wrong. There is no "retaliation" with regards to ANA - UA shares the revenues and costs for those flights, and they are jointly scheduled by UA and NH.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
There is competition on the SYD route.

When there is competition, UA loses.

UA only has so many captive passengers who are stuck flying UA (either due to living in a fortress hub or due to corporate contracts).

UA can't fill a 744 with those captive passengers, so is downsizing the route to a smaller airplane.

It's all UA knows how to do these days. Well, other than just cut the route.
it's a massive upgrade in hard product for the majority of pax on the route - that might actually bring UA closer to being competitive.

All they've really done is cut out the majority of the upgrade capacity so they're left with a much higher percentage of paying passengers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 3, 2014 at 9:09 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

I thought it was because revenue is split by seats, so if ANA added more seats, they would get a higher share of (more) revenue, so UA wanted to get more. I'm pretty sure that's where the aircraft's gone although I'm no expert on why.
Because UA and NH determined there was a demand for that capacity.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
it's a massive upgrade in hard product for the majority of pax on the route - that might actually bring UA closer to being competitive.
United couldn't care less about that.

They have more seats than they need on the 744 so they are reducing capacity so they can maintain higher fare buckets for the passengers who still insist on flying UA.

All they've really done is cut out the majority of the upgrade capacity so they're left with a much higher percentage of paying passengers.
Thought that's what I said. It's all about reducing capacity because UA can't compete on the route.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
UA also currently has a 744 going SFO - LHR. Does anyone know what's planned for this flight?

FWIW, I flew UA's 744 SFO-SYD last year in business, and thoroughly enjoyed it (the upper deck was nice). I actually thought the service, food and hard product were all quite good - in fact I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm now eying options to get from the US west coast to London in business (on an award flight), and one of the flights I'm currently considering is that 744 SFO-LHR route. My proposed flight dates are still a long ways out though, and I'm wondering if when I go, will they still have that 744 with it's nice, quiet little upstairs C cabin.

Does anyone here know about the prospects for the 744 on this route?

Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
UA also currently has a 744 going SFO - LHR. Does anyone know what's planned for this flight?

FWIW, I flew UA's 744 SFO-SYD last year in business, and thoroughly enjoyed it (the upper deck was nice). I actually thought the service, food and hard product were all quite good - in fact I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm now eying options to get from the US west coast to London in business (on an award flight), and one of the flights I'm currently considering is that 744 SFO-LHR route. My proposed flight dates are still a long ways out though, and I'm wondering if when I go, will they still have that 744 with it's nice, quiet little upstairs C cabin.

Does anyone here know about the prospects for the 744 on this route?

Thanks.
It's seasonal. When they add the second daily flight for summer/fall, it's the 744. Right now, just one daily 772.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have just booked award itinerary where there is UA839 F LAX-SYD for 3 people. It is on a 777.

Can anyone advise which configuration of 777 is the correct version in seatguru? Is the F seat and service that bad on this route? I have never flown UA F/J before. I am trying to compare it with NZ/OZ/TG/SQ/CA/VS/CX J/F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.