Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by CALMSP
well, the QF flight doesn't prove anything. The QF flight has hubs on both ends. Something UA would not have with SYD-IAH.
IAH is a larger hub for UA then LAX iirc....
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QF, VA
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
IAH is a larger hub for UA then LAX iirc....
Yes it is, but SYD is not a UA hub or a hub for any of their partners.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I have heard 3 Rumors
first was seasonal swap of 777 and 747 for capacity
777 for April->October and 747 November ->March

Second was 2x 777's year round and 3rd 777 doing ex Mel service for peek periods

Third was
2x 777 Syd/Mel->USA
1x 787 Syd->IAH (the QF flight to DFW has proved that this a market success)

It's hard to believe that United would bring back the 747s post April 2014 with their bad history on this route.

I have no idea about the rumours but suspect the first very unlikely .
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:53 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Upper decks

The thing I'm going to miss is the Upper Deck. I think I'm going to agree to these future Sydney business trips only if they can make a 777 with a "hump". I've never been on the lower deck in Business class. Last year, I went downstairs mid-flight to have a look around and knew the plane suddenly seemed huge (and I started to feel guilty when seeing all of those in... Coach) and had to go back upstairs to escape reality. Now, there will be no way to avoid it and I will be stuck with a guilty conscience.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
Given the high demand for Australia... I don't get why they would pull the 747 (and put them on what other, more profitable routes?).
Such high demand is being met by QF's A380s on that market. Everyone else--Virgin Australia, Delta, and now United, will be using 777s.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAD22066
The thing I'm going to miss is the Upper Deck. I think I'm going to agree to these future Sydney business trips only if they can make a 777 with a "hump". I've never been on the lower deck in Business class. Last year, I went downstairs mid-flight to have a look around and knew the plane suddenly seemed huge (and I started to feel guilty when seeing all of those in... Coach) and had to go back upstairs to escape reality. Now, there will be no way to avoid it and I will be stuck with a guilty conscience.
Prepare yourself for something very awful: 8-across in UA's 777 Business Class in every row of this class-of-service. UA is once again delusional about its sub-par product when everyone else on the US-Australia market has at worst a 2x3x2 configuration and much better service.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: UA-1K >1MM ,QF Platinum,HH-Diamond,Marriott-Gold
Interestingly---United has progressively increased the Z fares from LAX-SYD to the same or on many days higher than QF(at just more than 90 days out) so even though I have no status on QF I have booked them in business for an upcoming trip to SYD and MEL.
It will be a change.....
I guess the way UAL is going and loyal customer alienating business model....
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:41 am

I'm looking at going to Australia for thanksgiving next year, and while I see SFO-SYD and LAX-SYD being operated by 777s, SYD-MEL shows a 747 on all dates I've checked. UA.com bug?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Probably, SYD -> MEL is an extension of the LAX -> SYD route. Unless you are in SFO, **DO NOT** take the SFO route. If anything gets messed up you are much better off in LAX as every other carrier is there.

The LAX airport is abysmal but the UA staff are always spot on.

-- Dan
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by debracey
Probably, SYD -> MEL is an extension of the LAX -> SYD route. Unless you are in SFO, **DO NOT** take the SFO route. If anything gets messed up you are much better off in LAX as every other carrier is there.

The LAX airport is abysmal but the UA staff are always spot on.

-- Dan
^^^^
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by debracey
The flip side is that UA only has a single 747 route to/from LAX, which is this one. If they detect a problem in time there's a much better chance of there being a spare plane in SFO flight than for LAX. Of course, this might change once they start flying the 777.

If the problem isn't detected in time then it doesn't make a lot of difference where you are - all of the Australian flights leave within a short period of time (the latest about 90 mins after the UA flight) so the odds of being re-accommodated are at best low.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by thepumpkin
Interestingly---United has progressively increased the Z fares from LAX-SYD to the same or on many days higher than QF(at just more than 90 days out) so even though I have no status on QF I have booked them in business for an upcoming trip to SYD and MEL.
It will be a change.....
I guess the way UAL is going and loyal customer alienating business model....
With my corp discount rates on UA
They are still way way more attractive then QF for any fare class
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:20 pm

For those tracking the shift in sUA 772 and 744 deployments at the end of March, the Wiki attached to this thread is updated with the most current info.........
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:37 pm

UA LAX SYD on Triple-7

Just booked a trip LAX-SYD and noticed that it is on a 777.
First flight is apparently 29 March - it took me by surprise. Does this mean that UA is doing away with all 747's?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by MackeyBloom
Just booked a trip LAX-SYD and noticed that it is on a 777.
First flight is apparently 29 March - it took me by surprise. Does this mean that UA is doing away with all 747's?
On the LAX and SFO to SYD/MEL routes, yes. The 744s released by the change in aircraft type will work other Asian and some FRA schedules from SFO and ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.