Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Downgrade for me
the BF seats are IMHO far WORSE on the CO777 compared to the upper deck on the 747 (I've flown both many times)
I like the BF seats on the PMCO 777. Personal preference I guess. Better than the PMUA 777 for sure. Haven't have a good and direct comparison recently but will in 2 weeks fly SFO-ICN on the 744 and a few days later PEK-EWR on the PMCO 777.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Why don't you just work on solving this nonsense division and operating as one company by then?
You'd have to take that issue up with management. They don't seem to be in a hurry to create a single workforce.

the interesting question is what existing sCO 777 routes will be giving up their birds for Australia.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Right now it is 1 747 from SFO and LAX each daily. Will frequency change, or are they fine with a drop in number of seats (as well as cargo space I assume)?

I used to do this route on UA with friends every year for vacation, until UA/CO merger debacle, and found a much better premium experience on Qantas. I can't see this changing my plans.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by unavaca
Quote:

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

The downgauges just keep coming

Yes, let's ignore the fact that this is a huge upgrade for Y travelers. You know, the vast majority of the passengers on the plane.
Absolutely not. Think redemptions.

It is a substantial downguage.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Personally I'm at 11/12 for syd->lax/sfo on GPU's and 10/10 on Miles for the last 3 years
I've been 2/2 with SWUs, and 0/4 with miles. All of those were as 1K, and 2 of the mileage requests were on V fares. Tough to sit in Y after paying the premium to attempt an upgrade.

Much of it depends on the day of the week, but a loss of 14 premium seats per flight (LAX/SFO), and not having an F cabin for people to book/SWU into will definitely make it harder to get into a premium seat.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Have you flown LAX/SFO-SYD and tried upgrading? Those two routes are some of the toughest in the system to upgrade on.
I picked the first week in September, not very far out, and 3 out of 7 days have SFO-SYD availability in R. Seems pretty good to me, if you're willing to book a date that has availability and not expect it to come to you.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
LAX-SYD is a route I am surprised has not gone sCO 772 yet, given the capacity in the market, but I will be shocked to see UA give up the 747 from SFO, unless they plan on paring down the four-holer fleet a lot faster than is currently forecast.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Also.... AFAIK none of the CO777's have wifi?
most of the 747's running the SYD route have had wifi for ages now and its worth $$$ to me to not be 1000emails behind when I get off the plane
This will certainly not be the case next year.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
But not the vast majority of revenue.
And the even vaster majority of profit.

I was once in GF sitting in the MEL F lounge and local couple was there too. The gentleman commented to someone on his cell phone that the Mrs and he were flying GF because 'you can't take it with you' .

What a huge downgrade.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I picked the first week in September, not very far out, and 3 out of 7 days have SFO-SYD availability in R. Seems pretty good to me, if you're willing to book a date that has availability and not expect it to come to you.
Considering it's still Winter in Australia, I am not surprised that you found R space...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Quote:

Considering it's still Winter in Australia, I am not surprised that you found R space...
No doubt. On a 747 too. Kinda bollixes the little narrative.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Well, sheesh, what do you want? You asked, "have you tried upgrading on this route?" and I pointed out that yes, it's easy. Now you are going to say there are some seasons and dates when it's harder to upgrade? Duh.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by golfingboy
It makes me think would the vast majority of the passengers prefer to save a couple hundred and fly on a old ratty 744 with no IFE or pay more to fly on a 777?
Well, the ones who want to pay more to fly on a decent plane with decent IFE are already flying other airlines (probably on the QF A380).

I gotta confess that despite many years of living in SFO, travelling regularly to SYD, and being a UA flyer, I never once could actually bring myself to catch the UA 744 on this route. Far better to add four hours and go via Auckland.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
SYD goes to sCO

So if SYD goes to sCO, where does the sUA flights/planes go?

This is the incredible shrinking sUA!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jorgen
I gotta confess that despite many years of living in SFO, travelling regularly to SYD, and being a UA flyer, I never once could actually bring myself to catch the UA 744 on this route. Far better to add four hours and go via Auckland.
You would really rather fly for four extra hours rather than just download whatever you want to watch on your own device before the trip? Really? I don't understand this obsession with IFE, in an era when anyone can watch whatever they want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.