Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You're missing the point - it's $6K, not $10K - he only pays $10K if he can get into GF. So it's $2K for a chance to be in C, vs. $6K to be guaranteed in it.
He said he's going to pay $6k to fly JFK-SYD in C when GF is not available, possibly on another carrier. And therefore he's not getting any benefit from his UA premier status.

The question is why he wouldn't rather pay $1k to fly JFK-SYD in BF with an W fare and a GPU. That seems like a benefit of his UA premier status.

His answer was, I've got so much money I don't care about saving $5k. Ok, well.

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
United does not have J class for people to pay $2k and upgrade to it.
OK, I don't get what this means. You book W class on a date with R availability. You spend a GPU and you fly in BF. Why isn't this something that UA has?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 2013 at 3:50 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
He said he's going to pay $6k to fly JFK-SYD in C when GF is not available, possibly on another carrier. And therefore he's not getting any benefit from his UA premier status.

The question is why he wouldn't rather pay $1k to fly JFK-SYD in BF with an W fare and a GPU. That seems like a benefit of his UA premier status.

I'm not sure why you keep saying $1K when it's actually $2K...big difference

If said poster flies QF instead, he can get QF status, or credit to AA and get status there. Won't take long.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status

Because the odds of getting the upgrade to C with a GPU from JFK-SFO (even for a GS) are nowhere close to 100%, so there's a meaningful chance that he would wind up sitting in E+.

I don't know the OP, but if he's doing multiple JFK-SYD r/t's and he traditionally pays for them, he's probably unwilling to take the chance of sitting in the back.

As you've pointed out elsewhere, nobody should believe that they're entitled to an upgrade...

Greg
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm not sure why you keep saying $1K when it's actually $2K...big difference
It's a round trip. $1k each way in W, $6k (or more) each way in C. He's saying that spending $1k each way, instead of $6k, is no benefit for him. It just seems odd. Sure, maybe he can't always get that fare or upgrade. But you only have to get it once for it to be a significant amount of money to almost anyone.

Originally Posted by greg99
Because the odds of getting the upgrade to C with a GPU from JFK-SFO (even for a GS) are nowhere close to 100%, so there's a meaningful chance that he would wind up sitting in E+.
It's 100% if you book a seat where the upgrade is available at time of booking.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 2013 at 3:50 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by greg99
Greg
I disagree. While it is of course not 100% as it is always possible that they will fill the C cabin with full fare, but I would hazard a guess that a 1K or GS with a decent fare is 90%+ likely to get that upgrade.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's a round trip. $1k each way in W, $6k (or more) each way in C. He's saying that spending $1k each way, instead of $6k, is no benefit for him. It just seems odd. Sure, maybe he can't always get that fare or upgrade. But you only have to get it once for it to be a significant amount of money to almost anyone.
please re-read:

Originally Posted by stevenshev
That's it right there. The simple reason I make GS each year is multiple JFK-SYD in D/C fares ranging from $10-$15k a pop, so that I can upgrade to F. If UA does not have an F product to offer, there is not a snowball's chance in hell I pay a cent more than a Z fare ($6,000), and, if I can't upgrade, why would I take UA's Z fare over QF's I fare and have a better inflight experience on a single plane all the way from New York?
In the future, he can pay $2K for a W and HOPE for an UG, or $6K for a guaranteed C seat. But that $6K option has no appeal for him, since he can't upgrade from there into GF. Thus, he'd rather spend his $6K elsewhere.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 2013 at 3:51 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
SYD going PMCO 777 in 2014

In other words, if he wanted to play the GPU lottery for $2k he already would have been doing that. So the helpful suggestion is anything but.

Yes there is one off season date showing available...oh brother
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible
I have to one again post this photo how to sleep on 747.
I've thought of it.... never quite did it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:27 am

It's 100% if you book a seat where the upgrade is available at time of booking.
And if, like many business travelers, he can't adjust his travel schedule to match when upgrade seats are available, what should he do then?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
For upgrades to C, it creates more contention
744 to 772 removes 2 C seats and 93 Y seats - isn't that less contention for Y-C upgrades?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mduell
744 to 772 removes 2 C seats and 93 Y seats - isn't that less contention for Y-C upgrades?
Unlikely to be meaningful. They are downgauging to reduce the number of low price/yield seats, not people flying upgradable fares. If they are correct in their calculations, I suspect the number of upgradable pax will stay the same or increase.

Greg
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Australia is primarily a leisure market. Fewer seats mean higher average fares and a more efficient aircraft means higher prfitability.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Australia is primarily a leisure market. Fewer seats mean higher average fares and a more efficient aircraft means higher prfitability.
Data please. Does UA-OZ have less paid premium traffic than other pacific routes?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Just like HKG-SIN......
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
What? I'd like to see the data for that too. Maybe across all carriers, but I think UA grabs a lot of corporate traffic (with whom they have large contracts) and traffic that has "buy American" requirements.

Thinking about the people I've met, nearly 100% are on some sort of business trip. (As a disclaimer, I don't meet a lot of folks in Y. Usually C or E+).

My guess is, with a 777, they can drop the lowest fare buckets and capture a similar amount of revenue with a lower operating cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.