Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated logistics / connections / lounges at GRU (Sao Paulo)

Old Aug 10, 13, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

A schedule change on UA860 GIG-GRU has left us with a 45-minute connection in GRU (formerly 1hr) to UA844 GRU-ORD, which IIRC uses different equipment (its inbound just runs ORD-GRU-ORD).

Is this going to be safe? Given that UA probably has a lot of connecting pax on this shorthaul flight, will they hold the onward flight if needed to help make connections?

It looks to me like MCT for UA-UA is 35min (this is a legal connection), which, okay, I trust them.

It also looks like UA's departure-management system is a bit confused and they believe GIG-GRU has become an A320

(The other big schedule change we see is that the evening flight IAD-IAH changed from a sUA 757 to a sCO 764.)

Since we're in upgraded J I'm always a little scared about irrops. But I feel like FT consensus is that this is probably not any more/less safe than the pre-change 60 min connection??.

Last edited by mherdeg; Aug 10, 13 at 2:41 am
Old Aug 10, 13, 2:48 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
A schedule change on UA860 GIG-GRU has left us with a 45-minute connection in GRU (formerly 1hr) to UA844 GRU-ORD, which IIRC uses different equipment (its inbound just runs ORD-GRU-ORD).

Is this going to be safe? Given that UA probably has a lot of connecting pax on this shorthaul flight, will they hold the onward flight if needed to help make connections?

It looks to me like MCT for UA-UA is 35min (this is a legal connection), which, okay, I trust them.

It also looks like UA's departure-management system is a bit confused and they believe GIG-GRU has become an A320

(The other big schedule change we see is that the evening flight IAD-IAH changed from a sUA 757 to a sCO 764.)

Since we're in upgraded J I'm always a little scared about irrops. But I feel like FT consensus is that this is probably not any more/less safe than the pre-change 60 min connection??.
Nothing to worry about. The gates are really close, and UA manages it very well. They will hold the ORD flight - unless there are exceptional circumstances. I have done this many times. Relax and enjoy Brazil !
Old Aug 10, 13, 7:13 am

Programs: Former 11 yr UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Agree with 1k650. When you deplane they will direct you either into the waiting area or if the ORD flight has neared completion of boarding, they will direct you along the corridor to the gate. All the UA flights arrive and depart from the end of the terminal, Think of a semi circle, gates 9 and 10 on opposite ends and gates 11, 12, and 13 inbetween.
Old Aug 12, 13, 3:28 pm

Programs: UAL 1K , HHonors Diamond
Transfer Desk at GRU for UA Int'l Connection?

I am flying SCL-GRU on TAM and connecting four hours later to a UA flight. Is there a transfer desk at GRU that can print my UA tickets? Or can I get my UA tickets printed at the United Club? I already have a visa, so having to go through immigration to go check-in with UA (if that is the only option), is not an issue. Thanks for the insight!
Old Jun 9, 14, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
GRU (Sao Paulo) Arrival Lounge Options for United (UA) Passangers?

Arriving in GRU from ORD in a few days, traveling Global First. Is the new Star Alliance Lounge open? It appears so, but I'm not sure what amenities are available. Does anyone know? Are there any other options? Thanks.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 9, 14 at 5:36 pm Reason: title update
Old Jun 9, 14, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you hoping to use it as arrivals service? If so, I'm guessing you'll be disappointed as I believe it is only for departures.

And GRU isn't on the list of stations where UA has arrivials service contracts. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nal_first.aspx
Old Jun 10, 14, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by sbm12:23005851
Are you hoping to use it as arrivals service? If so, I'm guessing you'll be disappointed as I believe it is only for departures.

And GRU isn't on the list of stations where UA has arrivials service contracts. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nal_first.aspx
This is correct. You'll need to use the AMEX cent. lounge
Old Jun 10, 14, 4:31 am

Programs: Former 11 yr UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
As mentioned, you likely won't be able to use the *A lounge on arrival. But the lounges (first class and executive) were both open on May 25. I was told they both have showers. The executive lounge was not complete, but open.
Old Jun 10, 14, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Thanks. Yes, I was hoping to use it on arrival. I am leaving from Rio.
Old Aug 25, 14, 2:26 pm

Accessing *A Lounge at GRU

Is there still UC at GRU? Used to be in T1. United.com shows none.
Access Chase One-Time Pass Use?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 14 at 3:07 pm Reason: Due *A lounge, retitled
Old Aug 25, 14, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...nge-sao-paulo/
Old Aug 26, 14, 5:36 am

Programs: 1K 2MM
There is a *A lounge as JVP noted, but in my experience the showers are often closed 'for repair'. Also note, UA flights out of GRU leave late, so the UA check-in doesn't open something like 7 pm or later, and you have to check-in to get your BP to go thru security. Thus if you get to the airport earlier than that, expecting to be able to relax in the lounge while waiting, you can be disappointed. I know I've been in that boat 2 or 3 times at least.
Old Aug 26, 14, 6:15 am

Thanks for info on the Star Alliance club. We would actually be flying Delta biz class, but I will have two United Club passes as a result of having a Chase United credit card. Assuming we'd have to enter security/passport control at Terminal 2 since we'd have DL boarding passes, could we get to Terminal 3 airside? Can get between T1 and T2 but don't know about T3. UA's Web site shows no UA club (maybe the one in T1 closed?).

Main reason to use the UA or Star Alliance club rather than the Gol club (no Delta Sky Club at GRU anymore) would be to use the showers. Last time we used the Gol club at GRU there were no showers, but the club's Web site says there are showers at both GIG and GRU (GIG club is a bit different since it's a consolidated club used by several airlines).
Old Aug 26, 14, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Thanks for info on the Star Alliance club. We would actually be flying Delta biz class, but I will have two United Club passes as a result of having a Chase United credit card. Assuming we'd have to enter security/passport control at Terminal 2 since we'd have DL boarding passes, could we get to Terminal 3 airside? Can get between T1 and T2 but don't know about T3. UA's Web site shows no UA club (maybe the one in T1 closed?).

Main reason to use the UA or Star Alliance club rather than the Gol club (no Delta Sky Club at GRU anymore) would be to use the showers. Last time we used the Gol club at GRU there were no showers, but the club's Web site says there are showers at both GIG and GRU (GIG club is a bit different since it's a consolidated club used by several airlines).
Club is there, at least as of June (my last visit). It does have showers, but there are also paid showers in the walkway between T1-T2 (which are not bad).
Old Aug 26, 14, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by SoCal View Post

You can still go airside between the terminals I'm pretty sure (including the new one), but it is a Star Alliance branded club there, not a United branded club (which is now gone). So I don't believe you could use Chase passes there. This change happened in July.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: