Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated GRU (Sao Paulo) logistics / connections / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by pampa
Star Alliance lounge at GRU closed on April 1st.
Statement from Star Alliance regarding its lounge at Sao Paulo GRU Airport
Star Alliance regrets to inform that it will no longer offer a lounge at Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport effective April 1, 2021, as a consequence of the GRU Airport authority’s decision to pursue its own lounge operations. We are encouraged by discussions taking place between member airlines and the GRU Airport towards a seamless transition of lounge services to avoid any impact on the premium customers of the Alliance. Star Alliance remains committed to its premium strategy, and to Brazil, and continues to offer a Star Alliance lounge at Rio de Janeiro Galeăo International Airport.

Please find answers to frequently asked questions here.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated GRU (Sao Paulo) logistics / connections / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
At GRU I would offer to "pay" for the additional person. Do not expect a receipt.
understood. Appreciate the advice 😊

Mike
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
At GRU I would offer to "pay" for the additional person. Do not expect a receipt.
Have you been to that lounge? I don’t think it’s going to happen (at least what I think you’re insinuating)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Have you been to that lounge? I don’t think it’s going to happen (at least what I think you’re insinuating)
it has been three years since I used the lounge, and what I am suggesting was very common in Brazil (three years ago) and still is in Asia. US sensibilities take exception to what is seen as a normal practice in many parts of the world. Note it is against the FCPA and UK Bribery Act.

With that said I would certainly not advertise what I was doing. You can sometimes achieve the same result with a smile. 😀 If asking with a smile to let in my 17 year old did not work, I would ask about purchasing access. Many lounges sell day passes. More than one way to skin a cat.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:38 am

Connecting in GRU

So I am about to vook a united for a trip to Brazil. I am wondering if it is better to pick connecting flight from GRU with Latam or GOL?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
So I am about to vook a united for a trip to Brazil. I am wondering if it is better to pick connecting flight from GRU with Latam or GOL?
On my trip to Brazil (November 2020) only "connected" on my way back to the US (spent a week on business in Sao Paulo then a week on business in Rio) and I flew UA partner Azul for my domestic travel -- which forced an "interesting" routing to get from Rio to SDU -- but based on what I saw I don't think it really matters: International flights arrive/depart in essentially a different terminal and it is quite a hike than domestic (I think I passed 3 Pizza Huts on the way...) -- so as long as you allow plenty of time to connect you should be fine.

Azul was very confused about how to check my bag for the return trip but I did check it in Rio and pick it up to clear customs in Houston with no issues... all three airlines have interline baggage agreements with UA and from my conversations when I was deciding on my options I didn't get the impression there was much difference between them for domestic travel.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I find that GOL connections are often less costly that LATAM or AZUL. Sometimes that means doing a domestic connection to get to your final destination. But other factors can influence your decision, such as length of connection time. You didn't indicate where you were connecting to, but I recently read that LATAM has added a number of flights back to their schedule to various cities in Brazil.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by qfrodo
I find that GOL connections are often less costly that LATAM or AZUL. Sometimes that means doing a domestic connection to get to your final destination. But other factors can influence your decision, such as length of connection time. You didn't indicate where you were connecting to, but I recently read that LATAM has added a number of flights back to their schedule to various cities in Brazil.

i went with GOL as they had nice lounge in their terminal which accepts priority pass.

i am just wondering if GOL would accept my united bag allowance (3x32KG). my whole trip is booked on united tocket.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... i am just wondering if GOL would accept my united bag allowance (3x32KG). my whole trip is booked on united tocket.
If checked thru by UA, yes.
On the return, when checking in with GOL, no. GOL will use the ticket allowance, no UA elite or credit card benefits.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
i went with GOL as they had nice lounge in their terminal which accepts priority pass.

i am just wondering if GOL would accept my united bag allowance (3x32KG). my whole trip is booked on united tocket.
I normally have just one checked bag. When all is on a UA ticket. never had a problem when initially checking in with GOL, Azul, or LATAM. The 3X32 might be a different story. If all the computer systems are cooperating the day you travel, when you check in at GOL, they should be able to provide the boarding pass to UA as well. This could provide an additional benefit of allowing you to use the air side connection between Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 at GRU, if it is open.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:56 pm

If we are in Guarulhos Sao Paulo (GRU) flying Business/Polaris, which lounge can we use?

Last edited by pampa; Aug 3, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Old Aug 3, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
If we are in Guarulhos Sao Paulo (GRU) flying Business/Polaris, which lounge can we use?
Have you tried the Star Alliance lounge finder? I don't know if it's still accurate. https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder
Old Aug 3, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Have you tried the Star Alliance lounge finder? I don't know if it's still accurate. https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder
The star alliance lounge would be the best bet if it’s open
Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:44 pm

Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:56 pm

Do you know what lounges are open at GRU? I went to a few priority pass clubs in the past but was underwhelmed
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Do you know what lounges are open at GRU? I went to a few priority pass clubs in the past but was underwhelmed
The Star Alliance Lounge is now managed by the Safra Bank.
Back in May, I asked at the reception if Star Alliance Gold should have access and they said yes but I can't confirm because I was flying Lufthansa Business class. Pretty sure United will send you there if you're flying Polaris.
The lounge should grant access if you have Priority Pass or Lounge Key as well.

The AMEX lounge (right next to Safra lounge) is also open and accepts Priority Pass.

Both lounges have good food but the Safra lounge has a better space.
seanp7, Flying Machine and pampa like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.