Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "In Seat AC Power Issues / Experiences / Questions"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Two common power issues
1. Changer draws more than 75W -- most on-aircraft AC outlets are limited to max 75Ws
Fixes
Purchase a 75W or less charge for your computer
Change computer settings not to charge the battery, reducing power drain
Remove your computer battery (if removable)
2. AC plug will not stay in place or power module will not fit (especially Apple power modules)
Fixes
Use 3-prong adapters -- such as USA 2 to 3 prong adapter or UK adapter
Use a short travel extension cord
Slightly bend prongs outward (very slightly)
AC Power not working?
-- for some aircraft power is unavailable on landing/takeoff (until 10,000 ft ?)
-- sporadic reports (just certain aircraft) that due to excessive overall passenger AC power usage, some seats will have their power disabled -- very unclear how this works "Rotating" availability of electricity on 737s?
Most aircraft have a green light in the receptacle showing power availability, some aircraft have a blue light on the aisle side of the seat showing availability
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

As the old Empower system are being phased out
Consolidated "EmPower (Laptop Power) on United Airlines" Thread [Merged] - FlyerTalk Forums

Started a new thread on the replacement 120V AC systems used for charging devices inflight

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 27, 2023 at 11:12 am Reason: cleanup; contact WineCountryUA or IBJoel for details
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
The outlet power output is limited (75 watts, I believe), and that's not enough to power a large laptop when actively using it. The laptop power adapter usually has power consumption data on a label. What does yours say?
One workaround is to run the laptop on battery power, and then turn it off when charging it, since charging alone draws less current than when you're actively using the computer.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:03 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
There is already a good thread previously posted in this Forum with good discussion. I hope it helps you. Here is the link :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Welcome to FT.

The 110V outlets on the aircraft have a safety feature. You have to plug in the item. The prongs slide in and trigger a switch that then gets the juice going. So, sometimes you'll see a small (1 second or two) time delay from when you plug things in, until the juice starts flowing. Make sure the prongs on your Dell's plug are not damaged.

Additionally, the outlets are rated to a maximum output wattage. Some of the larger laptops have A/C adapters that pull up to 100 watts. My co-worker's 17" HP has a 90W power adapter, so it will definitely not charge (while running) on an aircraft. IIRC the PMCO aircraft are rated at 75W.

Most 15" laptops have 65W adapters. Check the adapter label.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by SittingUpFront
One workaround is to run the laptop on battery power, and then turn it off when charging it, since charging alone draws less current than when you're actively using the computer.
Conversely (when I needed to continue working after the battery drained), I've used my laptop without the battery and it works fine, although if you accidently unplug it, you're....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
I've used 15" MB Pro on sCO 762 and 764 (with empower), no issues.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I've had problems with even my 11.6" laptop (45W charger) on the sCO metal (764, 772), although sCO 788 was fine.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:00 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
If you disable battery charging while in use, you should be able to get it to work. The laptop will pull just too much power to both run itself and charge the battery simultaneously, and it will trip the cut-out in the power outlet.

Both the 110V outlets on PMCO a/c and select PMUA a/c and the EmPower-style outlets on PMUA a/c have this limitation.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Lugging around a 17" laptop on a plane? Why? That's some serious viewing space for a plane. Playing first person shooter games?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
Sometimes the outlets do not "start". You have to have load on the charger, meaning you have to have the notebook connected to the charger. Try again a few times, suddenly it will work.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:50 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
Lugging around a 17" laptop on a plane? Why? That's some serious viewing space for a plane. Playing first person shooter games?
"Desktop replacement" laptops for some business travelers. I know quite a few folks who want to use the same computer at work as they do on the road, and that often means a clunkier, larger laptop.

For someone like me, I need to be able to do photographic processing while on the road, meaning I need a decently large screen (I have widescreen 16") with good brightness and accurate color representation with a large gamut (often not available on smaller laptops), and of course gobs of processing power. All of this of course requires electrical power, too: I run into issues if charging the battery and doing photo processing simultaneously, and often have to disable battery charging altogether.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Yeah when I used to be a mac genius, this was a common question.

From the apple store page for the adapter that is sold for EmPower ports: " Using the MagSafe Airline Adapter provides power for your computer but does not charge the battery "

As for just using the regular adapter, the other posters are indeed correct you're not gouing to get enough juice to power the unit

And with no removeable battery, your only option is to just leave it plugged in the entire time...

See http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11206 for a quick note directly from apple
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by exerda
I run into issues if charging the battery and doing photo processing simultaneously, and often have to disable battery charging altogether.
How does one disable battery charging altogether? In which OS is this possible?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Another workaround is to swap down to a smaller power supply.

I have a 17" desktop replacement laptop, and the power supply that comes with it is the size of a large brick. It can pull 150 watts plus.

But Dell power supplies are interchangeable, so I carry a separate 65W power supply, and when I'm on a plane, use that power supply instead.

Only downside is the battery charges very very slow if I'm using the laptop and charging at the same time, but it works.

Another alternative you might consider is forgoing using the plugs entirely, and buy an extra battery or two. Charge 'em up before you get on the plane, then when your battery is running low just swap to another one.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My wife's iPad will not charge on the sCO TATL 757s but her iPhone will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.