Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "In Seat AC Power Issues / Experiences / Questions"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Two common power issues
1. Changer draws more than 75W -- most on-aircraft AC outlets are limited to max 75Ws
Fixes
Purchase a 75W or less charge for your computer
Change computer settings not to charge the battery, reducing power drain
Remove your computer battery (if removable)
2. AC plug will not stay in place or power module will not fit (especially Apple power modules)
Fixes
Use 3-prong adapters -- such as USA 2 to 3 prong adapter or UK adapter
Use a short travel extension cord
Slightly bend prongs outward (very slightly)
AC Power not working?
-- for some aircraft power is unavailable on landing/takeoff (until 10,000 ft ?)
-- sporadic reports (just certain aircraft) that due to excessive overall passenger AC power usage, some seats will have their power disabled -- very unclear how this works "Rotating" availability of electricity on 737s?
Most aircraft have a green light in the receptacle showing power availability, some aircraft have a blue light on the aisle side of the seat showing availability
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "In Seat AC Power Issues / Experiences / Questions"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
We limit the power because if there is too much draw the plane lands short.

5USD charge for seat power would be a good revenue solution...
And it'll cost money in F, too, because we can't make anything free in F unless it was free in F yesterday
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
We limit the power because if there is too much draw the plane lands short.

5USD charge for seat power would be a good revenue solution...

Who is "we?"

Were any of the stories UA told the OP correct? If so, which?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
And it'll cost money in F, too, because we can't make anything free in F unless it was free in F yesterday
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I find it extremely hard to believe that the system was so overloaded that the outlets were shut off. I've never been on a flight when more than a few outlets were in use. It's easy to see which sets of seats have something plugged in. Just look for the little blue LED sticking into the aisle at the bottom aisle side of each set of seats.

Also, when ready there is a green light on the outlet itself. If you attempt to draw too much powerI it will shut itself off. I've had issues where it took several tries to get a particular outlet to work. I've also had cases where the crew had the system shut off for some reason and they turned it on at my request.

All in all, the excuses given the OP by the crew strike me as cmplete BS.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:31 am

it happen to me on my flight from SFO to SEA. I inquired to one of the flight attendants that their was no power from the outlet. The flight attendant indicated that the power should have been on prior to take off and during inflight. I asked again because the there was no power during inflight. The flight attendant responded to me by saying that the flight is less than 2 hours. I should just wait till I arrive in Seattle
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
When I read the title I was expecting this to be a battle among 3 Y pax over the two outlets on the seat stanchions.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by drewguy
When I read the title I was expecting this to be a battle among 3 Y pax over the two outlets on the seat stanchions.
Same here. Seems odd that this is an issue on the airplane. How many people can actually use it at once is my question. With wifi and streaming video, power will be important.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
EWR-LAX power during trip becomes a power trip ...

Flying a 757-300 earlier this week EWR-LAX, I was happy that the lane was equipped with power ports. After take off, I noticed no juice was coming out.

I asked the FA, and she responded that these planes don't have power ports. I pointed to the unit, and she then said that the captain is the one who decides to turn it on.

I asked her if she would ask the captain. She responded, "He'll only turn it on if he wants to."

Ten minutes later, it still was not working. I asked her about it once again. She said, "no one else of the flight is complaining."

(Didn't realize I was complaining!)

We then said that my unit must be broken. She did not check to see if the other unites at other seats were on. Nor did she offer any insights to help.

A few minutes later, power came to the unit.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by zrs70
Flying a 757-300 earlier this week EWR-LAX, I was happy that the lane was equipped with power ports. After take off, I noticed no juice was coming out.

I asked the FA, and she responded that these planes don't have power ports. I pointed to the unit, and she then said that the captain is the one who decides to turn it on.

I asked her if she would ask the captain. She responded, "He'll only turn it on if he wants to."

Ten minutes later, it still was not working. I asked her about it once again. She said, "no one else of the flight is complaining."

(Didn't realize I was complaining!)

We then said that my unit must be broken. She did not check to see if the other unites at other seats were on. Nor did she offer any insights to help.

A few minutes later, power came to the unit.
1K Voice, tell the story very concisely. You'll get a little bunch of miles.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:16 am
Suspended

I notice a general pattern that when I report problems on the plane that may well be outside of the crew's control, they often get very defensive rather than trying to help. I don't know how to overcome this. I agree it's really annoying.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
I notice a general pattern that when I report problems on the plane that may well be outside of the crew's control, they often get very defensive rather than trying to help. I don't know how to overcome this. I agree it's really annoying.
They need more training. I'm still suprised about the, too many people are using the power answer. That still amazes me, if that's the case.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
They need more training. I'm still suprised about the, too many people are using the power answer. That still amazes me, if that's the case.
Who said "too many people are using the power"? Was that in a different thread?

I agree that better training on the technical aspects of the aircraft could help with some problems. But airplanes are complicated, there are always going to be issues that are complex and beyond the immediate knowledge of the FAs. The question of how they respond when those things come up is an attitude issue rather than a training issue.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
The power answer?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
from an electric design view:

- In conventional buildings 10 outlets make up a circuit that is protected by a 20A breaker. In those 10 outlets you can have 20 electrical appliances that as long as the 20A are not exceeded it will not trip.
- Assuming this is applied to an airplane electrical distribution then every 10 rows should have a fuse/breaker to protect from any short circuit.
- from reports it seems that the captain can decide whether or not the power outlets have energy (main interrupter).
- once enabled this interrupter if no power is on a set of outlets then most likely it would be a burned fused due to a short circuit that has to be replaced.

It is not logical that it goes by a first come first served, rather than a set of outlets not working due to a burned fuse not enabling energy to go to the set of outlets.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
It is not logical that it goes by a first come first served, rather than a set of outlets not working due to a burned fuse not enabling energy to go to the set of outlets.
It's very logical. The system is designed so that if the available power is in use, those people keep getting power and other people can't get power, rather than tripping a breaker that cuts off power to everyone. That's both better for the people currently using the system and it also means that when the load is reduced other people can start using the system. And all without having to reset any breakers.

Such a system would be too complex and expensive in a home, where you can just go down to the basement and reset a breaker if it trips. Also, the source of the limitation in the home is different: it's the risk of fire from drawing too much power through the wires, rather than the limit of the amount of AC power that the available inverters can supply. If the in-seat power system were overloaded, it wouldn't cause a fire, it would just mean that people would get insufficient voltage.

That said, I don't think most accounts of people not getting power have anything to do with overload situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.