Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How is this fair? Already spent $6k on flights and still not to silver

Old Aug 6, 13, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Started traveling a lot for work these days and already have 16 eqs racked up equaling 12K eqm. Some of these trips cost close to 1K including ord->iah and ord->dca. In total all these trips cost about 6K.. its so funny that someone can take 2 trips to HKG in offseason for a total of about 2K and can get silver ... something is off here.
Old Aug 6, 13, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why do you care if someone else gets Premier Silver? Focus on envy of other people is going to shorten your life. Fly your own MR to HKG if you think that's such a great deal.
Old Aug 6, 13, 8:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Not sure if you are aware of this but you too can take 2 trips to HKG in offseason for a total of about 2K and can get silver

It's not like anybody is keeping you from doing it, they just work the system a bit better.
Old Aug 6, 13, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by absolu7 View Post
something is off here.
Yup...your expectations.

Status is based on a combination of dollars spent and miles or segments flown. Pretty well documented, too.
Old Aug 6, 13, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe you should look into flying an airline with a pure revenue-based model. You could start with Southwest.

Old Aug 6, 13, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Started traveling a lot for work these days and already have 16 eqs racked up equaling 12K eqm. Some of these trips cost close to 1K including ord->iah and ord->dca. In total all these trips cost about 6K.. its so funny that someone can take 2 trips to HKG in offseason for a total of about 2K and can get silver ... something is off here.
Welcome to the new flying reality .... I have watched flights from IND to the East Coast "blossom" from $200-$200 for a pure regional play now to a $600-$1000.

I noticed this pattern on my beloved AA back in 2010/2011 when AA swapped AE out for AC (republic), and I found the same flights from CMI-ORD-SJC and IND-ORD-SJC (which were the same price in the past) where higher with AC ...

Be thankful your flights are above 500 miles .... picture taking flights where you don't get the 500 elite mile minimum .... talk about pain when you only get 67 PQM on a EWR-ABE run ....

+-ADT
Old Aug 6, 13, 9:14 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
..someone can take 2 trips to HKG in offseason for a total of about 2K ..
Silver is nowhere near worth real money ... let alone 2K.

Now add to this about 50 hours of suffering on non-maintained E- seats with next to no IFE and - depending on the route - additional charged to quench the pain with booze.

All that for a stinkin' silver card?
Old Aug 6, 13, 9:21 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
And fortunately for you, you haven't spent nearly as much time in an airplane seat as someone who took two trips to HKG. Count your blessings.
Old Aug 6, 13, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
OP is going to be in for quite a shock at what Silver actually provides. "Wait, I spent $10k on THIS?!?!"
Old Aug 6, 13, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Relax, OP. Under UA's PQD scheme starting next year, neither you nor your hypothetical $2K HKG traveler would be silver.
Old Aug 6, 13, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, life's not always fare.

What' stopping you from making 2 off-season trips to HKG for $2000?
Old Aug 6, 13, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by tegelad View Post
.... talk about pain when you only get 67 PQM on a EWR-ABE run ....
...and those "flights" are n a bus!
Old Aug 6, 13, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Ask for a status challenge. Unclear how long you've been doing this travel, but if over a short period you might be able to justify Gold.

Alternatively, get a credit card or buy an annual E+ plan.

For any FF program, there is a delay between when you start flying and when you reap the benefits - every "elite" here at some point was not elite and had to slog through a bunch of flights without status for a period of time.
Old Aug 6, 13, 10:03 am

Location: SFO - UA 2MM 1K, AA Plat, BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier
... something is off here.

yeah..the fact that you are envying Silver status!

When you do get to silver, you will envy it no more.
Old Aug 6, 13, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I agree, but be warned Silver is nothing on UA. I'm very similar to you, I spend 20K a year on UA but I'm Gold. When I was 1K I would spend about 6-10K a year. I don't mind the guy doing 4 HKG flights a year, it's the way the system works, but I do feel the person who spends more, should be recognized better.

What is great about Silver, it seems like you are buying Y and B fares, you will knock the 200.00 1K out of the upgrade as you will confirm first on most flights with Y and B.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: