Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How is this fair? Already spent $6k on flights and still not to silver

How is this fair? Already spent $6k on flights and still not to silver

Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry to break this to you, OP, but six grand is not very much money at all for business travel. That's one Z fare to Europe or Asia.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
OP....if you want Silver that badly do a Platinum challenge with Marriott and you can get Silver.

And be disappointed
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by emanon256
And fortunately for you, you haven't spent nearly as much time in an airplane seat as someone who took two trips to HKG. Count your blessings.
try multiple trips to and from the airport, security, rude CSRs and packed lines of unruly folks..i think i could handle 2 trips to qualify rather than the 110 or so trips to the airport i do in a normal year, or the large number of trips this silver is talking about..and spending for too..glad they have the spend mins now as those of us that REALLY fly UAL will benefit
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy

Anyone who flies NRSA has no right complaining about flying.

If you want higher status then fly ( a lot ) more.

Oh come on, he isn't comaining about NRSA, he is complaining about revenue travel. Since when are frivolous complaints banned in the MP forum? I know tons (literally, about 20 of em, and most are heavy) people 1st hand that have primary (not friend/companion) NRSA benefits that are elite on at least 1 airline. When traveling revenue, they can complain as much as any other revenue passenger who doesn't have NRSA benies.

Perhaps it belongs in the least substantive complaint thread, but to say he has no right?
You're not banned at all. I just think complaining because you didn't fly as much as others? Frivolous. People have different flying patterns. If you want top status, then alter that, don't complain.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:45 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
You're not banned at all. I just think complaining because you didn't fly as much as others? Frivolous. People have different flying patterns. If you want top status, then alter that, don't complain.
/agree
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by raehl311
What I want to know is, when can I fly to HKG and back for only $1k?
I paid a little over $800 for a one way W fare BOS-HKG and upgraded w/ GPU. I have flown to HKG RT for the same amount as my one way of course it was a holiday weekend.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
Relax, OP. Under UA's PQD scheme starting next year, neither you nor your hypothetical $2K HKG traveler would be silver.
The hypothetical $2K HKG traveler is named D. Barrett.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
When I was a kid, my mother used to tell me how life isn't fair. And as I grew up myself, learned this was the case. OP is just learning this now, I guess. But until next year, status is based solely on segments or miles. Revenue hasn't been a factor.

As for me, since moving from Canada in 2005, I've been silver most of the time, gold starting last year, and plat this year. I don't have the data going back that far (nor, to tell you the truth, the will to spend time researching it), but I'd be willing to bet in each of those years, because of my routes, lots of flying to Canada, etc. that I'd spent more each of those years than some 1Ks (MRs), and probably would have hit the initial PQD threshold for plat most of those years as well. And pretty much all personal travel (I could count the number of biz trips on one hand).

Is it fair? Probably not. Is it life? Yes.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by jacroweORD
try multiple trips to and from the airport, security, rude CSRs and packed lines of unruly folks..i think i could handle 2 trips to qualify rather than the 110 or so trips to the airport i do in a normal year, or the large number of trips this silver is talking about..and spending for too..glad they have the spend mins now as those of us that REALLY fly UAL will benefit
Your speaking to someone why typically surpasses 120 segments a year. In the OPs case, he hasn't flown very much.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by absolu7
Started traveling a lot for work these days and already have 16 eqs racked up equaling 12K eqm. Some of these trips cost close to 1K including ord->iah and ord->dca. In total all these trips cost about 6K.. its so funny that someone can take 2 trips to HKG in offseason for a total of about 2K and can get silver ... something is off here.

So you have 4 round trip flights and you want status?

Gee whiz. Fly more. 4 trips is not a lot.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
i've booked 85k EQMs worth of MRs for a cost of $2,300 for this year
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
i've booked 85k EQMs worth of MRs for a cost of $2,300 for this year
Wow that is really good! Congrats! I'm guessing it's your last year as a 1K.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Started traveling a lot for work these days and already have 16 eqs racked up equaling 12K eqm. Some of these trips cost close to 1K including ord->iah and ord->dca. In total all these trips cost about 6K.. its so funny that someone can take 2 trips to HKG in offseason for a total of about 2K and can get silver ... something is off here.
Unfortunatly, dollars spent alone means nothing......it should but it doesn't.....However, when buying full fare premium class tickets on foreign carriers, you don't need status as a full fare first class passenger will always be treated better then any elite. (as it should be)

But what you are complaining about is quite common. I flew Air France twice this year for a total of just under $20,000 in air fare. That gets me nothing as far as Elite status in the AF/KLM program.....but who cares really. I took those 2 flights cuz the schedule was exactly what i wanted......Even though I have ZERO status in the AF (or any Sky Team) program I was still treated better on those flights then ANY Elite. You get what you pay for.

A Great example is first class on Jet Air. I do get credit on my MP account but since Jet Air is not a member of Star Alliance, it makes no difference what i spend on Jet, I get no Elite status. But they treat their first class passengers flying from BOM-LHR better then ANY airline I have experienced. They have a personal assistant waiting curb side for you, and she takes you fro the curb to check in to immigration to lounge (all within 15 min) and thats worth its weight in GOLD at an airport like BOM...they don't do this for Elites, just full F passengers and i would much rather be treated this way and get no status then get status and be treated like the other million gold passengers
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
OK, I'll bite. $3+/gal. Jet A means high fares, particularly since the majors are really not expanding as they have in the $1 something era. Someone pays and my guess is you have been booking 7 day advance or less fares (as do I). If you want value post merger, you either get the CC's and move spend there or look at another carrier for domestic travel (DL comes to mind for the domestic upgrades). Me, I can spend enough on the CC's to get intl. F or J on almost any *A carrier at least 1X/year for 2 people plus a trip or two domestically. E+ is good enough for me domestically, because as you I don't fly a lot anymore. Dropping 600+ on a domestic economy ticket is nothing in the $3 fuel world.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I too have been there before, thinking that reaching silver (well, 2P waaay back then) somehow meant that my sense of self worth would be elevated. I'll pre-congratulate OP on reaching Silver--whenever that happens and after how much $ was spent on getting it. But I certainly won't be impressed. All of my work-related travels come out of my own pocket, and I'm reaching the point where I'd rather stay home instead of taking another trip. Even with all that, I don't think I deserve a medal.

So OP gets no sympathy from me. Live and learn. Maybe in 20 years you can make the same smug comment as I'm making now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.