FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Need to show credit card with ticket purchased for another traveler? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1490803-need-show-credit-card-ticket-purchased-another-traveler.html)

MojaveFlyer Aug 3, 2013 8:20 pm

Need to show credit card with ticket purchased for another traveler?

I know this used to be an issue. I don't know if it is these days. I also see some indication it may not be an issue for travelers with UA status but I don't know if that's true.

Later this month I'm flying to SEA. Three days later my wife is flying out, and then after some vacation we fly home together. I bought both tix with my CC. I'm worried she might somehow be asked to show the card and hassled because it's my card and I'll have it. We're both gold, if that makes a difference.

If it's an issue, all I can think of to do would be to try to show the card to the TA (will be checking baggage) on my outbound flight and see if they can make a notation in her PNR that the card has been verified?

I wonder if anyone has any semi-recent experience with such. Thanks!

WineCountryUA Aug 3, 2013 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer (Post 21210506)
If it's an issue, all I can think of to do would be to try to show the card to the TA (will be checking baggage) on my outbound flight and see if they can make a notation in her PNR that the card has been verified? .....

yes that approach works. Even in the tight credit card check days, it usually only happened when the last names differed.
But since many business flyers are booked by a travel depart using credit cards the traveler has no access the checking created too many problems, so I think this crossing check of credit cards now is just reserved for cases the raise flags for other reasons.

MojaveFlyer Aug 3, 2013 8:45 pm

Should have mentioned, we do have different last names.

'Course she is gold only because of my MM bis miles but that wouldn't necessarily be obvious when she checked in.

lexdevil Aug 4, 2013 2:49 am

I think you're good, for two reasons. Both are based on my memories of what used to happen a few years back when this was common for me.

1. Yes, you can get the "show cc" requirement taken care of at the airport prior to the date of travel. I used to do this frequently when tickets I had purchased for others required showing the card. So...if you're anxious, give yourself a bit of extra time at the airport on the day you fly and take care of it then.

2. Of course I don't think that you actually need to do the above, because when showing the card was required in the past, that fact was always mentioned on the reservation. Check the reservation on-line and your confirmation email. If there is no angry red message telling you to show the card at check in, your wife should have no problem. If you're extra paranoid, have her bring print copies of the reservation and confirmation email. If you're super extra paranoid, call United and ask if she'll have to show the card.

mre5765 Aug 4, 2013 3:31 am

Call your credit card company to issue a second card in your wife's name.

Regardless, I have bought tickets for lots of people and they have never been asked to verify the card. For me personally it as been over five years since I was asked to verify.

If she can do OLCI she is golden. If she cannot, that gives you 24 hours to go to the nearest station and verify the card.

cordelli Aug 4, 2013 5:30 am

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 21211429)
Call your credit card company to issue a second card in your wife's name.

Ask first if it will be the same card number, many issue the other cards on the account with different account numbers for tracking and fraud protection.

Though I totally think it's overkill to need a second card.

Mountainman Aug 4, 2013 7:20 am

If the ticket is on UA and not a code share you should be OK. I will never AGAIN take the chance with another Star Alliance carrier. My last episode with Ethiopian Airlines was a disaster.

linsj Aug 4, 2013 9:21 am

I've bought conference faculty tickets for years. And for years I took the itineraries to the airport and showed my credit card because it was required. Two years ago the random "show your credit card at check-in" memo disappeared from itineraries, but I still did my airport routine with my credit card. Last year and this year I didn't, and no one had a problem.

MojaveFlyer Aug 4, 2013 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 21211429)
If she can do OLCI she is golden. If she cannot, that gives you 24 hours to go to the nearest station and verify the card.

Nice idea! Let's me worry about it in the evening on the west coast, as opposed to 3 AM out there when she'd be checking in the following morning east coast.

Doesn't sound like it's an issue from what I am seeing here, but early OLCI is great insurance.

JDS747 Aug 4, 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Mountainman (Post 21211963)
If the ticket is on UA and not a code share you should be OK. I will never AGAIN take the chance with another Star Alliance carrier. My last episode with Ethiopian Airlines was a disaster.

As Mountainman stated, if on UA you should be fine. If on some other *A airline you better confirm with them.

When I fly on TG they always ask to see my card when I check in.

mre5765 Aug 4, 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 21211682)
Ask first if it will be the same card number, many issue the other cards on the account with different account numbers for tracking and fraud protection.

Though I totally think it's overkill to need a second card.

IME every visa and MC I've had has the same number and security code for my wife and I. AMEX is different.

raehl311 Aug 4, 2013 10:53 am

I regularly buy airfare for other people on various US carriers including primarily United and have never had anyone ask them to provide a credit card at check-in. You're fine.

Note that I usually buy about a month out, buy while logged into my UA account (I get $5 a ticket!), and the name on the card has no relation whatsoever to the name of the traveler.

The only time I'd expect to get checked is booking a ticket last-minute - the airline might check the card then to make sure it hasn't been recently stolen and the holder hasn't had a chance to report it as such.

astroflyer Aug 4, 2013 11:47 am

I'll just add my experiences:
On UA, I've actually never been asked to show my credit card. When you swipe it at the kiosk, it's just to pull your name off it, not to verify the crdit card info.

Foreign airlines, especially Asian & Middle-Eastern ones, love to demand your credit card. I just bought tickets on Qatar & Vietnam and both want to see my card on check-in.

Often1 Aug 4, 2013 6:49 pm

Have never been asked nor heard of anyone being asked to show a CC for a UA domestic itinerary. Period.

If you are worried, just call UA. They can email you a form which you can PDF or fax back.

WineCountryUA Aug 4, 2013 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 21214789)
Have never been asked nor heard of anyone being asked to show a CC for a UA domestic itinerary. Period.

If you are worried, just call UA. They can email you a form which you can PDF or fax back.

Oh it did happen, way back in the early 2000's and again for awhile a year or 2 pre-merger, many, many threads on it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ted-check.html