Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Choose from California's three biggest cities

Choose from California's three biggest cities

Old Aug 3, 13, 6:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Choose from California's three biggest cities

Here is an ad currently on United.com

Choose from California's three biggest cities
Try San Francisco, San Diego, L.A. on for size


A simple and straight forward ad- but the three largest cities in California are L.A., San Diego, San Jose (not San Francisco).

A minor complaint, yes. But as a 25 year resident of San Jose I guess I am like the middle child screaming for attention.
sely is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 7:53 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Posts: 4,709
Well from UA's point of view, SFO is the largest, LAX is next, then SAN...with all other cities in California having far less flights. SJC barely exists with 2 mainline flights operating today...so you can understand how they would overlook SJC.
sfozrhfco is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 7:58 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,985
Metropolitan areas vs. cities proper.
channa is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 8:12 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SJC, SFO, YYC
Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Posts: 13,437
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Metropolitan areas vs. cities proper.
Indeed, San Francisco is a worthy addition to San Jose's metropolitan area.
mre5765 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 8:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 136
Just further example of how mindless and meaningless UA's ad campaign is. They just state the obvious... and get it wrong.
ChicagoUnited is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 8:57 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BOS, LAX
Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,894
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
Indeed, San Francisco is a worthy addition to San Jose's metropolitan area.
Officially the San Francisco-San Jose-Oakland metropolitan area
DWFI is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 9:10 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Posts: 9,642
Perhaps they were talking about size instead of population, as SF is about 25% larger than San Jose, in which case, ignoring California City (and based on it's population, the word "city" is kind of misleading,) the 4 largest cities by size would be Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, (California City), San Jose, in that order. Of course, San Francisco gets most of it's area by water, but it is included in the city.

It does say "biggest", not "most populated". When I think of biggest state, I think AK, when I think of biggest country, I think RU. Neither are the most populated, but are the "biggest"

Annex the bay out to the Dumbarton bridge, and I think San Jose would then be "bigger" than San Francisco.

Last edited by fastair; Aug 3, 13 at 9:29 am
fastair is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 9:12 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Posts: 6,525
I think the bigger point is how totally stupid UAs advertising has become.

People don't say "hey, lets pick a BIG city in California to visit" And the add is not going to cause folks to say "hey, good idea, I'll just book a trip to California, anyone want to flip a coin"

What is UA thinking? There are no classy illustrations (as UA used to have) no theme that ties in with a brand (friendly skies), etc.

Its all just amature hour. The UA brand at this point is the dorky guy who gets to avoid the horrible UA service and the bad lines with his UA explorer card when going on his once a year trip (where he can't seem to dress properly for a tropical location) with someone who looks like his mistress.
spin88 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 9:21 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CLE or EWR or ORD
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 134
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Why is it his mistress?
TheStoicPaisano is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 9:31 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Posts: 6,525
Originally Posted by TheStoicPaisano View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Why is it his mistress?
I am making a joke, but have you noticed how he is trying to impress this woman, show how smart he is, sort of leading her? Watch the ad next time and ask if this is the type of behavior you would see in any couple. Is it normal? Its more like an insecure guy trying to impress someone on a date.

Sort of like the PS ice cream ad. It does a very poor job of conveying "want to buy" elements of status.
spin88 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 9:32 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
I think the bigger point is how totally stupid UAs advertising has become.

People don't say "hey, lets pick a BIG city in California to visit" And the add is not going to cause folks to say "hey, good idea, I'll just book a trip to California, anyone want to flip a coin"

What is UA thinking? There are no classy illustrations (as UA used to have) no theme that ties in with a brand (friendly skies), etc.

Its all just amature hour. The UA brand at this point is the dorky guy who gets to avoid the horrible UA service and the bad lines with his UA explorer card when going on his once a year trip (where he can't seem to dress properly for a tropical location) with someone who looks like his mistress.

There is no brand, and in a service industry, there is no service to uphold any brand promise.
ChicagoUnited is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 10:20 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,645
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
Indeed, San Francisco is a worthy addition to San Jose's metropolitan area.
Absolutely not!
FlyWorld is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 10:40 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Danville, CA
Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Posts: 3,242
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
Perhaps they were talking about size instead of population, as SF is about 25% larger than San Jose, in which case, ignoring California City (and based on it's population, the word "city" is kind of misleading,) the 4 largest cities by size would be Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, (California City), San Jose, in that order. Of course, San Francisco gets most of it's area by water, but it is included in the city.

It does say "biggest", not "most populated". When I think of biggest state, I think AK, when I think of biggest country, I think RU. Neither are the most populated, but are the "biggest"

Annex the bay out to the Dumbarton bridge, and I think San Jose would then be "bigger" than San Francisco.
That would depend on what you're speaking of square miles inside an incorporated city or a metro area. Here's how it stacks up major cities in California based upon 2012 census data. San Francisco and Oakland combined are not as large in area as San Jose.


City Sq Miles Population

Los Angeles 468.67 3,857,799
San Diego 325,19 1,338,348
San Jose 176.53 982,765
Sacramento 97.92 475,516
Oakland 55.79 400,740
San Francisco 46.87 825,863

Last edited by danville 1K; Aug 3, 13 at 10:46 am
danville 1K is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 10:42 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SJC, SFO, YYC
Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Posts: 13,437
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Officially the San Francisco-San Jose-Oakland metropolitan area
Not to me. San Jose is biggest, so it gets the name.


Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
Absolutely not!
Fair enough, we don't have to mention San Francisco in the name of Cali's second largest metro. Let's put in Daly City instead.
mre5765 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 10:53 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Posts: 9,642
Originally Posted by danville 1K View Post
That would depend on what you're speaking of square miles inside an incorporated city or a metro area. Here's how it stacks up major cities in California based upon 2012 census data. San Francisco and Oakland combined are not as large in area as San Jose.


City Sq Miles Population

Los Angeles 468.67 3,857,799
San Diego 325,19 1,338,348
San Jose 176.53 982,765
Sacramento 97.92 475,516
Oakland 55.79 400,740
San Francisco 46.87 825,863
That only includes the land, which is why I qualified my post stating that the majority of SFO area is water. There is another 185 square miles of water in addition to the 46 square miles of land. That's why I told Me San Jose to annex the bay up to the Dumbarton Bridge and SJC would then be larger. Aprix 80% of San Francisco's geographic area is water.
fastair is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: