Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5* Gold, HH Diamond
Thanks for the advice! I presumed as much, but thought I would check with the pros!

And speaking of pros, one of the moderators moved my question into this thread (after I posted elsewhere). Thank you!
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:26 pm

Can I have 2 PNRs for myself on the same flight?

I have a mixed cabin ticket issued by LH where the last segment is booked in Y on UA.

Can I book a paid F ticket on the same flight with a different PNR or is the computer going to go haywire?

I want to keep the LH ticket as is (without dropping the last segment) for protection in case of a misconnect or IROPs.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:29 pm

No you can't have two confirmed bookings on the same flight. The system can and will detect a duplicate booking and cancel one of them out. UA will protect you across separate *A tickets in event of IRROPs.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
No you can't have two confirmed bookings on the same flight. The system can and will detect a duplicate booking and cancel one of them out. UA will protect you across separate *A tickets in event of IRROPs.
Thanks. Any way to get UA to get me in F on the last segment of the existing ticket? They won't take my money because it's a LH ticket and LH won't do anything.

I assume the rational thing would be to get LH to drop the last segment based on your post.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Would United know about the LH flight? LH on the other hand might notice that you have two tickets… not sure what they would do.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by blitzen
Would United know about the LH flight? ....
For the UA segment, yes, and it is believed UA uses multiple passenger information factors to identify duplicates, not just MP accounts.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've had UA cancel segments on tickets when I had something like SFO-FRA on a 014 ticket scheduled for some overlapping amount of flight time as ICN-SFO on a separate 014 ticket.

Name, DOB, FQTV, and KTN were probably good enough for them to know it was all me.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For the UA segment, yes, and it is believed UA uses multiple passenger information factors to identify duplicates, not just MP accounts.
Yea I know (created a United booking so that they would cancel the leg I reserved with LifeMiles on UA > sidestepped cancellation fee).

But here the LH segment is the duplicate ….
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... But here the LH segment is the duplicate ….
No, it is a UA segment the OP is querying about
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I have a mixed cabin ticket issued by LH where the last segment is booked in Y on UA....
Can I book a paid F ticket on the same flight with a different PNR....
Old Sep 1, 2022, 5:15 pm

I assume LH can't drop the UA miles segment and replace it with paid F on the existing PNR.

Just one of those situations where I can't get anyone to take my money... Of course, LH has bigger issues today.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
I assume LH can't drop the UA miles segment and replace it with paid F on the existing PNR. ....
Can not mixed award and paid on one ticket.. Don't know about the chances of get LH to drop the UA segment. The usually means re-issuing the ticket and that might create other issues.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:09 pm

Can not mixed award and paid on one ticket.. Don't know about the chances of get LH to drop the UA segment. The usually means re-issuing the ticket and that might create other issues.
Yes, I assume LH would have to reissue. Tried calling an hour after I booked it and couldn't get through due to the strike.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've had UA cancel segments on tickets when I had something like SFO-FRA on a 014 ticket scheduled for some overlapping amount of flight time as ICN-SFO on a separate 014 ticket.
I could certainly see that since both of those segments are UA operated. Or possibly even AC cancelling since they ticketed both?

What would be interesting is if UA could detect someone had for example YVR-FRA on a 014 ticket (with no other UA segments) on the same day as SFO-FRA on a 016 ticket.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 11:55 am

No, it is a UA segment the OP is querying about
You are correct. My bad.

Just for reference. I had a
UA > LH > LH flight booked with Life Miles and the booked the same flight again with United miles
United cancelled/removed the first leg from the LM booking (leaving LH > LH) but didn't touch the United awards booking.
LH didn't seem to care (for the week or so it took me to get the LM booking refunded)
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:10 pm

You are correct. My bad.

Just for reference. I had a
UA > LH > LH flight booked with Life Miles and the booked the same flight again with United miles
United cancelled/removed the first leg from the LM booking (leaving LH > LH) but didn't touch the United awards booking.
LH didn't seem to care (for the week or so it took me to get the LM booking refunded)
Did they tell you proactively, or did you have to keep checking your bookings?

Sure enough, I just checked my booking through LH and they canceled the UA segment. So now I have 2 tickets. LH > LH (ticketed by LH) + UA (ticketed by UA)

LH did not re-ticket.

However on M&M it says, Please note that the Airline has cancelled one or more of your selected flights. Please modify your reservation, or contact your travel agent for further information.

There's nothing to "modify" (or any way to do it) and all the LH legs show confirmed.

As long as I'm protected in the case of a missed connection (someone noted above I will be), then that's fine with me.

Last edited by saaveraward; Sep 2, 2022 at 12:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.