Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:51 pm

A. UA Flight LAX to SFO Fri morning at 8 am.
B. XX Flight SFO to LAX Fri night at 4 pm.
C. UA Flight LAX to SFO Sat afternoon at 4 pm.

UA cancelled flight C. saying a duplicate.
Can I book it without using my MP number or something?
Also they cancelled but not put back to CC.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thaitraveller

Wow, that's extremely aggressive by UA.

I would call and try to get it reinstated, telling them that you have a flight back with another airline. Heck, you could drive back in plenty of time to catch both of those.

If they refuse, yes, you could try booking it without your MP#.

I don't know if you'll get a refund or if they'll just give you flight credit.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by thaitraveller

I have flown similar routing with UA and another carrier in between, on the same day no less. Definitely demand reinstatement.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I inadvertently made a duplicate booking on a flight and canceled the duplicate a few days after realizing it. I checked my PNR before canceling and I can verify that it is noted in your record locator.

:
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:31 am

Strategy for European cruise. Can (should) I make a back-up reservation?

So I'm ultra nervous about my Mediterranian cruise coming up given the large number of flights being canceled. Freaking out a bit, given the news of 10,000 flights (not all United) canceled.
We have, in late July, a United Polaris flight ORD-FRA, then a puddle jumper to the coast. YES, we're flying in a day early which gives me some protection and wiggle room for a canceled flight. But, but, but I worry United may not be able to get me to the coastal port in time for my cruise even though I have an extra day for a rescheduled flight. I'm MiliagePlus Premier which isn't all that high in status to get me on a flight the next day.
Am I too paranoid? And I was thinking of using the 24-hour rule, booking a backup EXTRA 2 tickets as protection, then canceling it if the first flight works. Goofy or even allowed??
What are the pros doing when they MUST be in a destination on day certain?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Batman's brother
And I was thinking of using the 24-hour rule, booking a backup EXTRA 2 tickets as protection, then canceling it if the first flight works. Goofy or even allowed??
You can't have two overlapping tickets. UA will cancel one. But I'm not even sure what you're suggesting -- you'd buy a backup ticket on the day of the flight? If they have inventory to sell you, they'll have inventory to reroute you onto if there's a problem. (Also, do you have any idea what a last-minute ticket would cost? International one-way? Polaris!?)

What are the pros doing when they MUST be in a destination on day certain?
Get to the airport early, keep an eye on the incoming flight, be proactive if things look like they're going pear-shaped. Accept that you may have to travel in PE or Y. But, be prepared with a set of options if your flight gets canceled, preferably with known inventory. You might sign up for a five-day ExpertFlyer free trial the day before you depart, so that you can check loads to your destination.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
You might sign up for a five-day ExpertFlyer free trial the day before you depart, so that you can check loads to your destination.
Great idea. THANK YOU
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by jsloan
You might sign up for a five-day ExpertFlyer free trial the day before you depart, so that you can check loads to your destination.
How do I see loads in EF? I thought that all I could see is the same info about how many seats Uup to 9) that UA is willing to sell you in each fare class.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seenitall
How do I see loads in EF? I thought that all I could see is the same info about how many seats Uup to 9) that UA is willing to sell you in each fare class.
That's what I meant. However, you can access it for a variety of carriers at once, and it's generally faster than the United site / app.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
S
And I was thinking of using the 24-hour rule, booking a backup EXTRA 2 tickets as protection, then canceling it if the first flight works. Goofy or even allowed??
Not allowed. It is pretty impressive at how fast UA can discover you booked 2 tickets at the same time but if your trying to float it for 24 hours (and I am not sure that is what you stated) you MIGHT get away with that but I certainly wouldn't count on it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:22 pm

Assuming they have seats, does anyone know if United will book me on a Star Alliance flight if my United flight is canceled and no United flight is available? Is there a rule/policy that says they have to?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming they have seats, does anyone know if United will book me on a Star Alliance flight if my United flight is canceled and no United flight is available? Is there a rule/policy that says they have to?
Yes, and yes (for Polaris or Star Alliance Gold customers), although they'll probably try to put you on a United flight over the water if there is one.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5* Gold, HH Diamond
Mitigation suggestions

I am flying business class IAD-LHR-HAM on UA (777-200) on 7 July. My darling bride is on the same itinerary using miles. With the messiness we are seeing now, I was wondering if I could purchase refundable seats on the same flight a day later with the hope of:
A) getting a refund for the later flight if the original flight goes, or
B) converting my cancelled flight seats to those reserved on the following day.

Anyone tried this? All advice welcome...
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gras
....I was wondering if I could purchase refundable seats on the same flight a day later with the hope of:
B) converting my cancelled flight seats to those reserved on the following day....
The airlines ready, really do not like this and if they detect it, at least one set of flights will be cancelled. Same flight adjacent day is easily detected. This detection has been improved in recent years and this question has been raised (see up thread) multiple times, so the airline are well ware folks are considering this.

If you want to do this, pick at different alliance carriers. Avoid carriers that share information or using your MP account in reservation.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gras
I am flying business class IAD-LHR-HAM on UA (777-200) on 7 July. My darling bride is on the same itinerary using miles. With the messiness we are seeing now, I was wondering if I could purchase refundable seats on the same flight a day later with the hope of:
B) converting my cancelled flight seats to those reserved on the following day.

Anyone tried this? All advice welcome...
This sounds like a great way to lose your 1K status and whatever miles you have accumulated. I suspect there are many harried UA employees who would absolutely love to make an example of someone who decided to reserve extra of their super-scarce J inventory to guard against a possible problem.

If there's a significant disruption, as a 1K flying in J, you're going to have priority for re-accommodation anyway. And if you're looking at booking flights an entire calendar day later, well, surely UA can find something to somewhere in Germany before that?

FWIW, there's no chance of (b) working anyway. What would actually have to happen is that you'd refund the seats and then saunter back to the customer service rep and say, "could you check again? I think someone must have canceled some seats." They couldn't just take over the reservation in any meaningful way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.