Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Two tickets for the same flight? One of them will be flagged for cancellation.
Thanks, that's what I was worried about. I'll keep looking for positive upgrade space and then book/cancel accordingly.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
I would like to book a RT award flight to Tokyo this summer, but it's currently unclear whether (although a good chance that) Japan will open to tourists by summer. In case that doesn't happen, I would like to also book a RT trip to Sydney. The outbound and return flights for each trip would happen during the same weeks, but not necessarily on the same days.

To maximize my options, I am considering booking the following :

Outbound - Week 1
  • To Tokyo: departs Monday, arrives Tuesday
  • To Sydney: departs Tuesday, arrives Thursday
Return - Week 2
  • From Tokyo: departs and arrives Monday
  • From Sydney: departs and arrives Thursday
When looking at just actual flying time, the only overlap is the outbound legs where I would be travelling to two different locations on the same day (Tuesday of week 1), but their departure times would be on different days (Monday v. Tuesday of week 1). Obviously, the trips themselves overlap.

Thoughts on whether United would allow these two reservations?

BTW, I have had in the past United cancel a reservation where two reservations to different locations departed on the same day.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 9elf S
... Thoughts on whether United would allow these two reservations? .....
Not knowingly, but if you called about one, an agent might noticed the other.

These are a clear violation of UA's CoC and MP's T&Cs

Will, UA detect this automatically, doubtful their system are that sophisticated (and might lead to too many false positive).
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 9elf S
I would like to book a RT award flight to Tokyo this summer, but it's currently unclear whether (although a good chance that) Japan will open to tourists by summer. In case that doesn't happen, I would like to also book a RT trip to Sydney. The outbound and return flights for each trip would happen during the same weeks, but not necessarily on the same days.

To maximize my options, I am considering booking the following :

Outbound - Week 1
  • To Tokyo: departs Monday, arrives Tuesday
  • To Sydney: departs Tuesday, arrives Thursday
Return - Week 2
  • From Tokyo: departs and arrives Monday
  • From Sydney: departs and arrives Thursday
When looking at just actual flying time, the only overlap is the outbound legs where I would be travelling to two different locations on the same day (Tuesday of week 1), but their departure times would be on different days (Monday v. Tuesday of week 1). Obviously, the trips themselves overlap.

Thoughts on whether United would allow these two reservations?

BTW, I have had in the past United cancel a reservation where two reservations to different locations departed on the same day.
As long as the actual flight times don't overlap (convert everything to GMT, then compare), it's unlikely to be flagged by a computer. Calendar days and relative time zones aren't directly relevant.

However, as noted, it is not permitted to make a reservation without the intention of flying.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
As long as the actual flight times don't overlap (convert everything to GMT, then compare), it's unlikely to be flagged by a computer. Calendar days and relative time zones aren't directly relevant.

However, as noted, it is not permitted to make a reservation without the intention of flying.
To close the loop on this, I did book award flights to Tokyo and Sydney after converting all flight times to GMT. Although there were no overlaps of actual flight times between the two PNRs, one flight segment of the Tokyo PNR overlapped by having the same day of travel as one segment of the Sydney PNR - basically, starting the journey in the US to travel to Sydney two hours after arriving in Tokyo. This same day of travel Tokyo segment was cancelled the next day by United, while the rest of the Tokyo PNR was left intact. Seeing this, I cancelled the Tokyo PNR.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
UA cancelling award tickets

This is the 2nd time this has happened. Had a trip to AMS in December and now a future one from NRT. I do not know which day I will actually need to return so I booked the same flight 2 days in a row. UA cancelled one of them on its own. Is there a rule somewhere that I cannot do this? I remember as a kid when my dad would travel, he'd have 2 or 3 return options booked so he'd be on the first flight out when his meetings wrapped up. He was on a paid ticket, so a little different. Maybe he taught me a bad habit lol.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Is there a rule somewhere that I cannot do this?
Yes, duplicate or "impossible" reservations are not allowed:

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 12, 2022 at 7:18 am Reason: cleanup after merge; thamks for the link
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This is the 2nd time this has happened. Had a trip to AMS in December and now a future one from NRT. I do not know which day I will actually need to return so I booked the same flight 2 days in a row. UA cancelled one of them on its own. Is there a rule somewhere that I cannot do this? I remember as a kid when my dad would travel, he'd have 2 or 3 return options booked so he'd be on the first flight out when his meetings wrapped up. He was on a paid ticket, so a little different. Maybe he taught me a bad habit lol.
Domestic short flights are less likely impossible to complete on consecutive days, but not international ones such as NRT-EWR.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Yes, duplicate or "impossible" reservations are not allowed:
I guess UA IT has gotten a bit more advanced over the years. What if I had the flights 2 days apart? That is allowed, correct?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I guess UA IT has gotten a bit more advanced over the years. What if I had the flights 2 days apart? That is allowed, correct?
Altho they may not be "impossible", if you are booking them with the prior intent to only fly one of them, then you are violating other UA ticketing rules (such as the prohibition on "speculative" booking). Whether UA would detect such a pair of flights as potentially implicating this rule is a different question, as is what they would do if they did.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I did the same thing a couple years back on paid tickets and just wanted to hold both reservations for less than 24 hrs to confirm trav/business plans and I blown away at how fast UA system detected it and dumped one of the bookings. It was literally in hours of booking the second "impossible" ticket. They don't want you tying up inventory.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
I did the same thing a couple years back on paid tickets and just wanted to hold both reservations for less than 24 hrs to confirm trav/business plans and I blown away at how fast UA system detected it and dumped one of the bookings. It was literally in hours of booking the second "impossible" ticket. They don't want you tying up inventory.
They detect it immediately when you book an impossible/double booking. The couple/few hours UA gave you was simply a grace period for you to fix it - but eventually they take action on their own. Opentable works the same way - it won't let you do a double booking at all, it forces you to cancel the other booking before proceeding so no grace period.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
They detect it immediately when you book an impossible/double booking. The couple/few hours UA gave you was simply a grace period for you to fix it - but eventually they take action on their own. Opentable works the same way - it won't let you do a double booking at all, it forces you to cancel the other booking before proceeding so no grace period.
Yeah learned that one very quickly. Computers are smart animals. I posted about it a couple years back and WineCountry set me straight...LOL...
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The worst is when the the cancellation of double/impossible bookings due to involuntary UA schedule changes.

TATL is very much possible on back to back days, btw.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:34 am

UA canceled my seat due to double booking?

New to forum, please be patient
My oneway flight was delayed (bought with chase sapphire reserve points) and gate agent kept saying it may be canceled and also that she was working on plan B to move priority passengers to next out bound. I am not priority. The next outbound was full, so I bought a ticket for one after that. Didn’t check in, was gonna wait 30 min and either keep or cancel. UA canceled my seat on the delayed flight. I understand they have the right to do that. I approached gate agent and explained what happened. Turns out the delayed flight would leave just a little sooner than my back up, so she could put me back on original flight. Only later do I realize she moved my back up ticket to original, ie I paid $280 for an almost empty delayed flight. Why was the plane almost empty? I have no idea. Anyhoo, is there any way i can convince UA to refund or credit $280? Seems crazy to pay max fare for flight that was not sold out plus was delayed 2 hrs. I called UA but they told me it was my fault for not calling customer service while at the gate and instead handling it myself on the app. I also tried chatting another rep but same answer. Lesson learned for future!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.