Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by juliebluet
When trying to adjust the final destination of an already multi-city international booking, the price of the flight triples. It's cheaper to just ghost the last leg of the return flight, and book a separate 1-way flight to the final city I need to go. This is on the return flight. A traveling companion with only a carry-on will take care of getting my checked bag to it's final destination. Is there any consequence/penalty for this?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Consequences? You mean, besides the fact that United will detect this and cancel one of the overlapping bookings? And the fact that you're not ticketed to the hidden city, so UA is not obligated to deliver you there? (If you're booked to, say, Austin, UA only has to get you to Austin; they can change your flight to go XXX-IAH-AUS instead of XXX-IAD-AUS and they're within their rights).

Other than that, it's fine, provided you don't make a habit of it. But in practice, it requires taking another airline for that last leg.

All of that said: if you're relying on the United flight change tool to tell you how much it will cost to make a change -- it gives absolutely bonkers results sometimes. For something like what you're describing, you'll want to call to find the price. Also, if there have been any substantial schedule changes, you may be able to get them to drop the last leg, or even route you to your correct destination if it's nearby your currently-ticketed one.
SPN Lifer and TallTexan like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
All ticketed on UA? Very likely at least one ticket will be cancelled and you will get an email warning you such actions will be taken on your behalf if you do not fix your tickets conflict.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2024 at 1:35 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, juliebluet

Don't do a overlapping / duplicate booking with UA or (AA / DL for that matter) as the others have explained.
If you are going to do a duplicate booking, do it with a different carriers.

The other alternative is to first call and find out out a change will costs, as mentioned the online change tool is flaky especially for complex itins. Have you flown any legs yet? That's another case where the online can return strange, incorrect pricing.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:44 pm

Thanks - I did try calling UA when I first attempted to make the change and got the 'special' price - the ticketing agent got the same result, so calling wasn't much help. So per 2 responses already - it sounds like the key is booking the last let on a different airline. Any cases where airlines share this data and one of the flights could get cancelled? None of the legs have been flown yet - departure is May 6 - return flight June 10.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by juliebluet
Any cases where airlines share this data and one of the flights could get cancelled?
If the last leg is a domestic flight, which is my takeaway from what you've posted, I haven't heard of any such cases, and it would surprise me immensely if they cooperated at that level -- and, in fact, it might lead to antitrust scrutiny if they were to try it.
SPN Lifer and juliebluet like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.