Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Archive thread: Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
...Presumably UA is accounting for duplicates in its inventory management, but I'd imagine that the combination of covid uncertainty and the ease of duplicate bookings has made it much more difficult for UA to predict the rate of cancels and no-shows.
I think the discontinuance of change fees and availability of FFCs for cancelled bookings makes it easier for frequent flyers to contemplate making conflicting reservations, but I think the practice is obviously a bit selfish. It also reduces seat selection options for other flyers. I'm pretty sure a better seat is more likely be taken by someone who might not even take the flight than a later booker who has every intention to do so.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I'm not so sure that the airlines are sharing data because I had over 30 overlapping itineraries booked last year and none were cancelled.
The only downside I've found from doing this is keeping track of all of the FFCs and effectively using them.
I doubt it as well. In past couple years, I've been double (sometimes triple) booked on different carriers (helps overall upgrade probability, also doesn't hurt to have another itinerary in my back pocket in case of cancellations/delays), and haven't had any auto cancelled.

Keeping track of all the credits does become a challenge though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And UA is not unique on this. Other airlines do the same, and airlines also work together so just booking on another airline is no guarantee.
Is there any evidence of this or just anecdotes? I very much doubt the capability is there, even if airlines were comfortable pooling this information.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post # 354)
[ T]he discontinuance of change fees and availability of FFCs for cancelled bookings makes it easier for frequent flyers to contemplate making conflicting reservations, but I think the practice is obviously a bit selfish. It also reduces seat selection options for other flyers. I'm pretty sure a better seat is more likely be taken by someone who might not even take the flight than a later booker who has every intention to do so.
Last minute cancellation of a UA reservation, whether due to a duplicate booking on UA or OA (other airline), does have a salutary effect for Premier Silver members, who thereby find more E+ seats available for selection at check-in.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
Keeping track of all the credits does become a challenge though.
You're not kidding. It's relatively easy on UA, but my AA credits are a real mess.
econ likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I have had .multiple cancels this year..for example made booking SFO icn syd and SFO hand syd 2 days later...award trips. I booked and started to look into covid rules for transfers, and to find accomodations. One was auto cancelled by the morning

I understand that it takes a seat from someone, but i had planned to cancel one in a day or two. Plus you get no say which one cancels. A little warning would be nice since you used to have a little leeway here....
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
What about different destinations and routing. EWR-SFO-SIN RT (waiting for upgrade) vs EWR-LAX-SYD RT (cleared). Overlapping dates with return on the same day. Has the UA system been smart enough to identify this?
I know in the past this wouldn't have been an issue but the UA system seems to be doing the auto cancellations alot better recently.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
What about different destinations and routing. EWR-SFO-SIN RT (waiting for upgrade) vs EWR-LAX-SYD RT (cleared). Overlapping dates with return on the same day. Has the UA system been smart enough to identify this?
I know in the past this wouldn't have been an issue but the UA system seems to be doing the auto cancellations alot better recently.
If any flight times overlap at all, they will definitely flag it. If it is non-overlapping but still "impossible" (e.g., the EWR-LAX departs an hour after SFO-SIN arrives), it may hold unless you get an agent poking around looking at things.
eng3 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fumje
If any flight times overlap at all, they will definitely flag it. If it is non-overlapping but still "impossible" (e.g., the EWR-LAX departs an hour after SFO-SIN arrives), it may hold unless you get an agent poking around looking at things.
ok thanks, I'll go change it before its too late
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Yesterday I booked a flight using award miles YEG-PTP on Aug 01, one-way, just for myself.
I also booked a flight for the wife and myself for the same flight on July 31, because we weren't sure exactly when we were going and if we were going together.
Today I received an email from United saying my Aug 01 reservation has been cancelled, with no explanation why. I had a look and the flight itself has not been cancelled.

Is this normal? I know it's impossible for me to take both of these flights but how do they decide which one to cancel and why don't they give a reason? I could've missed out on a good deal!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 15, 2022 at 9:48 pm Reason: moved to appriporiate thread
Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by rbakker
Yesterday I booked a flight using award miles YEG-PTP on Aug 01, one-way, just for myself.
I also booked a flight for the wife and myself for the same flight on July 31, because we weren't sure exactly when we were going and if we were going together.
Today I received an email from United saying my Aug 01 reservation has been cancelled, with no explanation why. I had a look and the flight itself has not been cancelled.

Is this normal? I know it's impossible for me to take both of these flights but how do they decide which one to cancel and why don't they give a reason? I could've missed out on a good deal!
UA actively looks for double bookings and often cancels one of them.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Fair enough. Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Can I book an Awards ticket and cash-paid ticket for the same day?

Here's the situation: I have an international trip coming up and originally bought the ticket using miles (so a United Awards ticket) in Polaris. This is great as I found a "Saver" pricing and paid less than 70,000 miles for the trip. What I really want to do is earn those PQMs and Lifetime Miles (to help get me to 2MM status), however since this is a one-way ticket only the price for Polaris is in excess of $6000! Ouch, and no thank you. Polaris isn't THAT good.

I'm thinking that I could book a Premium Economy ticket and apply PlusPoints for the upgrade to Polaris. If the upgrade goes through, great! I'll cancel the Awards ticket and get the miles redeposited. If the upgrade does not go through in time, I can cancel the Premium Economy ticket and have some future travel credits to be used for the rest of the year.

My concern is that having two tickets on the same day might trigger something in United's systems and cause me some unintended pain. So I figured I'd ask the experts here if this is a legitimate concern or not.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2022 at 11:38 am Reason: moved to subject thread
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Here's the situation: I have an international trip coming up and originally bought the ticket using miles (so a United Awards ticket) in Polaris. This is great as I found a "Saver" pricing and paid less than 70,000 miles for the trip. What I really want to do is earn those PQMs and Lifetime Miles (to help get me to 2MM status), however since this is a one-way ticket only the price for Polaris is in excess of $6000! Ouch, and no thank you. Polaris isn't THAT good.

I'm thinking that I could book a Premium Economy ticket and apply PlusPoints for the upgrade to Polaris. If the upgrade goes through, great! I'll cancel the Awards ticket and get the miles redeposited. If the upgrade does not go through in time, I can cancel the Premium Economy ticket and have some future travel credits to be used for the rest of the year.

My concern is that having two tickets on the same day might trigger something in United's systems and cause me some unintended pain. So I figured I'd ask the experts here if this is a legitimate concern or not.
It is. It won’t take long for UA IT to cancel one of them. Keep the Polaris award ticket if you want to sit there. The lifetime BIS is not that important. You can do one EWR-SFO RT to get the same BIS miles.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Two tickets for the same flight? One of them will be flagged for cancellation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.