Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 15, 22, 1:14 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UAs fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 22, 22, 12:46 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
You might sign up for a five-day ExpertFlyer free trial the day before you depart, so that you can check loads to your destination.
How do I see loads in EF? I thought that all I could see is the same info about how many seats Uup to 9) that UA is willing to sell you in each fare class.
Old Jun 22, 22, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
How do I see loads in EF? I thought that all I could see is the same info about how many seats Uup to 9) that UA is willing to sell you in each fare class.
That's what I meant. However, you can access it for a variety of carriers at once, and it's generally faster than the United site / app.
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Batman's brother View Post
S
And I was thinking of using the 24-hour rule, booking a backup EXTRA 2 tickets as protection, then canceling it if the first flight works. Goofy or even allowed??
Not allowed. It is pretty impressive at how fast UA can discover you booked 2 tickets at the same time but if your trying to float it for 24 hours (and I am not sure that is what you stated) you MIGHT get away with that but I certainly wouldn't count on it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:22 pm

Assuming they have seats, does anyone know if United will book me on a Star Alliance flight if my United flight is canceled and no United flight is available? Is there a rule/policy that says they have to?
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Batman's brother View Post
Assuming they have seats, does anyone know if United will book me on a Star Alliance flight if my United flight is canceled and no United flight is available? Is there a rule/policy that says they have to?
Yes, and yes (for Polaris or Star Alliance Gold customers), although they'll probably try to put you on a United flight over the water if there is one.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 22, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5* Gold, HH Diamond
Mitigation suggestions

I am flying business class IAD-LHR-HAM on UA (777-200) on 7 July. My darling bride is on the same itinerary using miles. With the messiness we are seeing now, I was wondering if I could purchase refundable seats on the same flight a day later with the hope of:
A) getting a refund for the later flight if the original flight goes, or
B) converting my cancelled flight seats to those reserved on the following day.

Anyone tried this? All advice welcome...
Old Jun 28, 22, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gras View Post
....I was wondering if I could purchase refundable seats on the same flight a day later with the hope of:
B) converting my cancelled flight seats to those reserved on the following day....
The airlines ready, really do not like this and if they detect it, at least one set of flights will be cancelled. Same flight adjacent day is easily detected. This detection has been improved in recent years and this question has been raised (see up thread) multiple times, so the airline are well ware folks are considering this.

If you want to do this, pick at different alliance carriers. Avoid carriers that share information or using your MP account in reservation.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gras View Post
I am flying business class IAD-LHR-HAM on UA (777-200) on 7 July. My darling bride is on the same itinerary using miles. With the messiness we are seeing now, I was wondering if I could purchase refundable seats on the same flight a day later with the hope of:
B) converting my cancelled flight seats to those reserved on the following day.

Anyone tried this? All advice welcome...
This sounds like a great way to lose your 1K status and whatever miles you have accumulated. I suspect there are many harried UA employees who would absolutely love to make an example of someone who decided to reserve extra of their super-scarce J inventory to guard against a possible problem.

If there's a significant disruption, as a 1K flying in J, you're going to have priority for re-accommodation anyway. And if you're looking at booking flights an entire calendar day later, well, surely UA can find something to somewhere in Germany before that?

FWIW, there's no chance of (b) working anyway. What would actually have to happen is that you'd refund the seats and then saunter back to the customer service rep and say, "could you check again? I think someone must have canceled some seats." They couldn't just take over the reservation in any meaningful way.
Old Jun 29, 22, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5* Gold, HH Diamond
Thanks for the advice! I presumed as much, but thought I would check with the pros!

And speaking of pros, one of the moderators moved my question into this thread (after I posted elsewhere). Thank you!
Old Sep 1, 22, 3:26 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Can I have 2 PNRs for myself on the same flight?

I have a mixed cabin ticket issued by LH where the last segment is booked in Y on UA.

Can I book a paid F ticket on the same flight with a different PNR or is the computer going to go haywire?

I want to keep the LH ticket as is (without dropping the last segment) for protection in case of a misconnect or IROPs.
Old Sep 1, 22, 3:29 pm

No you can't have two confirmed bookings on the same flight. The system can and will detect a duplicate booking and cancel one of them out. UA will protect you across separate *A tickets in event of IRROPs.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 1, 22, 4:39 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
No you can't have two confirmed bookings on the same flight. The system can and will detect a duplicate booking and cancel one of them out. UA will protect you across separate *A tickets in event of IRROPs.
Thanks. Any way to get UA to get me in F on the last segment of the existing ticket? They won't take my money because it's a LH ticket and LH won't do anything.

I assume the rational thing would be to get LH to drop the last segment based on your post.
Old Sep 1, 22, 4:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Would United know about the LH flight? LH on the other hand might notice that you have two tickets not sure what they would do.
Old Sep 1, 22, 4:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
Would United know about the LH flight? ....
For the UA segment, yes, and it is believed UA uses multiple passenger information factors to identify duplicates, not just MP accounts.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 1, 22, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I've had UA cancel segments on tickets when I had something like SFO-FRA on a 014 ticket scheduled for some overlapping amount of flight time as ICN-SFO on a separate 014 ticket.

Name, DOB, FQTV, and KTN were probably good enough for them to know it was all me.

Search this Thread