Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 15, 22, 1:14 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations
  • In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UAs fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 24, 22, 1:07 pm

DP: I recently had two one-way flights booked on the same day, from different airports (100+ miles apart) in the broad LA area to AUS. I thought that was OK to do so I could choose the best one depending on circumstances and cancel the other. Now that I'm reading this thread, I was obviously wrong. The most recent flight among the two was cancelled (almost exactly 24 hours after booking) and I received flight credit (it had originally been booked with flight credit).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 22, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA
Does United penalize you for booking a backup award itinerary? I had a trip booked through UA's system on TK from EWR-IST-CGK for this coming November that got screwed up by TK schedule changes recently. I was able to rebook it into a EWR-WAW-IST-CGK itinerary which should work but is not ideal. It also left me with a bad feeling about TK's reliability.

Searching through UA's system today I just saw that award space on BR opened up for JFK-TPE-CGK on the day I want. That would work well for me but Taiwan comes with significant COVID risk since their border controls are much stricter. I should soon have enough UA points though to book an additional award itinerary without cancelling my current one. From UA's redeposit policy it appears I can cancel one of the two itineraries without any fee up to 30 days before departure.

This makes me wonder, will UA penalize for booking that I clearly don't intend to take? If I have two separate New York to Jakarta flights within 24 hours of each other it should be pretty obvious that I won't be using one of them.
Old May 26, 22, 1:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by P__Squared View Post
Does United penalize you for booking a backup award itinerary? ....
Originally Posted by P__Squared View Post
.... This makes me wonder, will UA penalize for booking that I clearly don't intend to take? ...
If UA detects a second "impossible" booking, it will cancel one.

Double booking distorts inventory numbers and could discourage a different passenger from booking as lower cost inventory is consumed by the backup booking.

The only question is will UA detect your backup booking?
Old May 26, 22, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
If UA detects a second "impossible" booking, it will cancel one.

Double booking distorts inventory numbers and could discourage a different passenger from booking as lower cost inventory is consumed by the backup booking.

The only question is will UA detect your backup booking?
That's good to know, thank you.

Re: detect, I'm not going to chance it. The whole point of a second booking is to reduce risk for this trip. It sounds like booking a backup itinerary would increase risk instead. TY for the assistance.
physioprof likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:10 pm

Automatic System Cancellations - Any way to manage?

The UA systems seems to have gotten very aggressive with cancelling flights even if they are for legit flights. I am doing a quick turnaround flight for work / wedding on the West coast where the intervening flight is on another airline, and one got cancelled.
Is there any way to appropriately manage what seem to be reasonable backup flights?
What if flights are already booked? What if the flights are using miles? What if international
Especially in this day of jacked up prices, schedule changes, and flight cancellations (with very little flexibility) it does not seem that unusual or unreasonable for example to have two flights booked ahead of time on different days and even days apart.
Thank you.
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thaitraveller View Post
The UA systems seems to have gotten very aggressive with cancelling flights even if they are for legit flights. I am doing a quick turnaround flight for work / wedding on the West coast where the intervening flight is on another airline, and one got cancelled.
Is there any way to appropriately manage what seem to be reasonable backup flights?
What if flights are already booked? What if the flights are using miles? What if international
Especially in this day of jacked up prices, schedule changes, and flight cancellations (with very little flexibility) it does not seem that unusual or unreasonable for example to have two flights booked ahead of time on different days and even days apart.
Thank you.
UA's system will generally not cancel flights that can both be taken. If you can show proof that you intend to take both of the flights -- like the receipt for your intervening flight, for example -- you may be able to get them to reconsider.

At the end of the day, though, UA does not share your view that it is "reasonable" to book "backup flights."

If you feel you must do so, you're generally best off by booking them on different airlines or, at a minimum, not putting your frequent flyer information into one of them (although name + DOB might be enough to trip UA's computers).
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:26 pm

Thank you.
How does United know what reservations you have on other airlines? It also might help people answer your question if you explain the timing of your conflicting flights. Are you saying you have (something like) (1) One itinerary from A to B that leaves on Sunday and returns the following Saturday, and then (2) Another midweek itinerary from B to C that leaves on Tuesday and returns to B on Wednesday?
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:44 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA GS, 1MM; Marriott LTPP / Ambassador
Until 6 months ago I never had any reservations canceled by the airline, but recently they do seem to have become way more proactive.

For example, I had an LAX -> NYC booked for Friday evening and one booked for the Saturday morning. I was in the process of calling to upgrade the Friday one, and cancel the Saturday one, when the agent told me the Friday one had already been canceled by UA.

I was told that they would cancel the earliest by departure time reservation (I had booked the Saturday reservation first).

Fortunately they could get me back on the flight I had been canceled from.
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:51 pm

A. UA Flight LAX to SFO Fri morning at 8 am.
B. XX Flight SFO to LAX Fri night at 4 pm.
C. UA Flight LAX to SFO Sat afternoon at 4 pm.

UA cancelled flight C. saying a duplicate.
Can I book it without using my MP number or something?
Also they cancelled but not put back to CC.
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, that's extremely aggressive by UA.

I would call and try to get it reinstated, telling them that you have a flight back with another airline. Heck, you could drive back in plenty of time to catch both of those.

If they refuse, yes, you could try booking it without your MP#.

I don't know if you'll get a refund or if they'll just give you flight credit.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC

I have flown similar routing with UA and another carrier in between, on the same day no less. Definitely demand reinstatement.
Old Jun 1, 22, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
I inadvertently made a duplicate booking on a flight and canceled the duplicate a few days after realizing it. I checked my PNR before canceling and I can verify that it is noted in your record locator.

:
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:31 am

Strategy for European cruise. Can (should) I make a back-up reservation?

So I'm ultra nervous about my Mediterranian cruise coming up given the large number of flights being canceled. Freaking out a bit, given the news of 10,000 flights (not all United) canceled.
We have, in late July, a United Polaris flight ORD-FRA, then a puddle jumper to the coast. YES, we're flying in a day early which gives me some protection and wiggle room for a canceled flight. But, but, but I worry United may not be able to get me to the coastal port in time for my cruise even though I have an extra day for a rescheduled flight. I'm MiliagePlus Premier which isn't all that high in status to get me on a flight the next day.
Am I too paranoid? And I was thinking of using the 24-hour rule, booking a backup EXTRA 2 tickets as protection, then canceling it if the first flight works. Goofy or even allowed??
What are the pros doing when they MUST be in a destination on day certain?
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Batman's brother View Post
And I was thinking of using the 24-hour rule, booking a backup EXTRA 2 tickets as protection, then canceling it if the first flight works. Goofy or even allowed??
You can't have two overlapping tickets. UA will cancel one. But I'm not even sure what you're suggesting -- you'd buy a backup ticket on the day of the flight? If they have inventory to sell you, they'll have inventory to reroute you onto if there's a problem. (Also, do you have any idea what a last-minute ticket would cost? International one-way? Polaris!?)

Originally Posted by Batman's brother View Post
What are the pros doing when they MUST be in a destination on day certain?
Get to the airport early, keep an eye on the incoming flight, be proactive if things look like they're going pear-shaped. Accept that you may have to travel in PE or Y. But, be prepared with a set of options if your flight gets canceled, preferably with known inventory. You might sign up for a five-day ExpertFlyer free trial the day before you depart, so that you can check loads to your destination.
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
You might sign up for a five-day ExpertFlyer free trial the day before you depart, so that you can check loads to your destination.
Great idea. THANK YOU
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread