Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PEK connections/logistics/lounges domestic/international

Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I am looking for one way award ticket from WUH to SFO at ua.com and I see there is CA1342 arriving at PEK 10:20am and UA888 leaving PEK at 12pm (on a lot of days).. however, this combo does not show up if I search from WUH to SFO directly, is the roughly 1:30hour not enough to be considered for international transfer? I thought as long as the schedule is booked under one ticket, the luggage can be checked at WUH directly to SFO (am I wrong?), so without the hassle of dealing with baggage, the 1:30hour gap should be enough?

Any chance that I can talk to UA agent to book such flight?

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
DOM-INT MCT is 120 min for PEK T3.

http://www.airchina.com.my/en/my-transfer.html
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:32 pm

1:30 is not a legal connection. Minimum is 2 hours.

However if it was a legal connection your bags would be checked to SFO and there would be no pickup in PEK.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
PEK is the worst major aiport in the world for flight delays.

SunLover
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
LOL, nope, no way, wouldn't do it.

4 hours minimum at PEK/PVG for me.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
I would look into connecting at NRT or maybe ICN.

Also, you could just get a ticket to PEK or PVG and take the train to Wuhan. There's high-speed service the whole way now.

Even if 90 minutes were legal I wouldn't try it, too many things that could go wrong.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: UA Gold / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gailwynand
I would look into connecting at NRT or maybe ICN.

Also, you could just get a ticket to PEK or PVG and take the train to Wuhan. There's high-speed service the whole way now.

Even if 90 minutes were legal I wouldn't try it, too many things that could go wrong.
I generally agree that PEK is not great place to cut it close. Its seriously capacity limited, and its domestic flights, like any other Chinese airports, do have (sometimes horrid) delays. Might be tricky to avoid PEK, as CA hub is PEK, and I don't think their is much choice for *A out of Wuhan. That said, within *A, their are lots of ways to get you to PEK from SFO. Their are however, lots more options out of NRT and PVG (or HKG).

Of course, it never hurts to limit any hand luggage that might need to be re-screened and/or gate checked. You might also want to have your China departure card filled out already, so you can go right to the passport exit control station without stopping to pick up a departure card. If you don't have one, please send me a PM, and I'll send you one (I am in PEK now, always have a few extras).

Last edited by dhelman; Jul 31, 2013 at 3:45 am
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by dhelman
I generally agree that PEK is not great place to cut it close. Its seriously capacity limited, and its domestic flights, like any other Chinese airports, do have (sometimes horrid) delays. Might be tricky to avoid PEK, as CA hub is PEK, and I don't think their is much choice for *A out of Wuhan. That said, within *A, their are lots of ways to get you to PEK from SFO. Their are however, lots more options out of NRT and PVG (or HKG).
NH has service to a lot of tier-2 Chinese cities. I've used them a lot in the past.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dhelman
+1 on this arrangement. It's not just capacity controls, it's CAAC air traffic control for domestic flights that means there's a high risk your WUH-PEK flight will be late. As it is, 90 mins is very tight (could be done, despite MCT of 120m), but with the risk of delays you probably don't want to do this. Typically international flights are sent on their way in a timely manner, thus connecting at other-Asia hubs reduces risk substantially.

Checking ITA I can see the problem if you're *A loyal. The best option would be to fly through Seoul, but that's Korean. It looks like there's a flight on UA from PVG that has a longer connection time with less risk of misconnect.

Another option is to fly to Beijing the night before. Or be willing to take the later Air China flight to SFO.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Another option is to fly to Beijing the night before.
Agreed, this is probably the best approach.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Agree with the other posts--but also want to add that recently we were on a CTU-PEK Air China flight connecting to PEK-SFO on UA on one ticket. The Air China desk in CTU said she could not forward the bags onto the SFO flight in PEK but that we had to claim the bags and drop them off again (before you exit baggage claim in PEK) despite having the 2 flights on one ticket.. I think we had to clear security again too. We had 3.5 hours for the connection so there was no problem. We ended up having about 1.5 hrs to spare. There is a great CA lounge in PEK to spend your time. So definitely 90 minutes is too short.

Last edited by sfonorth; Jul 31, 2013 at 8:45 am
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Heck, depending on where your domestic flight docks, it can feel like it takes 90 minutes just to walk to the terminal...
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If you really want to take WAH-PEK-SFO, you can arrive at Beijing the day before and spend a night in Beijing. Those award flights show up if you increase the search display list from 25 to 50.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Consolidated connections/logistics domestic/international at PEK

A few quick questions that I'm helping I can get some help with.

1. How easy is it to transit between UA and Air China at PEK?
2. Is 1 hour and 50 minutes too tight?
3. I'm connecting to HKG and staying there for a week. As a US citizen, I won't need a visa, correct?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
A few quick questions that I'm helping I can get some help with.

1. How easy is it to transit between UA and Air China at PEK?
2. Is 1 hour and 50 minutes too tight?
3. I'm connecting to HKG and staying there for a week. As a US citizen, I won't need a visa, correct?
You'll have a brief immigration check and they'll stamp your passport even though you are in transit, but staying in *A shouldn't be to big of a problem, and you will not need a visa.

1hr 50 should be fine, but it's China, so anything can happen and another hour wouldn't hurt. (I'd say the same thing about a 6 hour layover)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.