Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PEK connections/logistics/lounges domestic/international

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated PEK connections/logistics/lounges domestic/international

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
Would a 90 min layover in Beijing be enough?
No, it's not. Not even close. Save yourself the hassle. Book something else.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:36 am

Hi,

Would a 90 min layover in Beijing be enough? Also, if we miss the flight from Beijing, will they book us on the next flight ire-respective of whether there is award space on the next flight or not? if they do, will they try and keep the same class of travel? Flight coming into Beijing is also on United.

Thanks
United flies to PEK from SFO, ORD, EWR, and IAD. Are you honestly planning a 90 minute visit on the other side of the world?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
United flies to PEK from SFO, ORD, EWR, and IAD. Are you honestly planning a 90 minute visit on the other side of the world?
Perhaps a mileage run like IAD-PEK-SFO? Haha!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by david_oz
Where are you traveling from/to? If you’re transiting international to international you are probably ok. If you’re connecting to or from a domestic flight you’ll be in some trouble if your inbound flight is delayed.

I agree with the comment above that many people prefer to avoid PEK. The distances are very large, immigration seems to be majorly backed up every time I visit, the stupid train from the domestic to international terminals takes forever, and there is absolutely nothing to do in the terminal itself unless you like shopping for luxury brands.

If you’re able to post your itinerary I’m sure some folks here can advise you on other potential options.
The itinerary is DEL to PEK on Air China CA 948. 1 hr 20 layover. Then PEK to IAD on Air China CA817.

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The itinerary is DEL to PEK on Air China CA 948. 1 hr 20 layover. Then PEK to IAD on Air China CA817.

Thanks
OK, then your question doesn’t really have anything to do with United. I assume you’re posting here because you used MileagePlus miles to book the tickets, but it’s going to be up to Air China to take care of you if there is a delay, and you should ask about the connection time in their forum.

That said — I wouldn’t book that itinerary if I actually needed to make the connection.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
CA, not UA, will be responsible to make new arrangements, regardless of award space availability, should you misconnect in PEK. CA and UA have several more flights to SFO and LAX later on the same day on which you may be reaccommodated, 9pm CA flight to LAX being the last.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Thanks
This is very tight, but Intl->Intl is probably the only scenario in which you could possibly make such a short connection because you don't have to go through the full immigration process. That said, do you really want to spend 24 hours in Beijing because you missed the connection? What about UA808 instead, which leaves later in the day (I'm assuming you can't find saver biz awards on that flight?).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Thanks
In that direction, people like to plan an overnight in PEK.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
This is very tight, but Intl->Intl is probably the only scenario in which you could possibly make such a short connection because you don't have to go through the full immigration process. That said, do you really want to spend 24 hours in Beijing because you missed the connection? What about UA808 instead, which leaves later in the day (I'm assuming you can't find saver biz awards on that flight?).
Thanks. A number of people clarified that I should ask in the Air China forum and thank for that. Yes, award space is not showing up for the flight mentioned (UA808)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:11 am

I've done over 20 connections I-D & I-I & D-I in PEK in the last three years (more in the more remote past, but things have changed - mostly for the better!), with some (all 3 categories) being as close as 90min. Made all of them. International flights (long haul, not the "international" ones from HKG or the like) are almost guaranteed to be on time unless something else happens (usually while still on the ground in your port of departure, so you can already take some measurements)

If you've a more-or-less on time arrival, 90min for I-I is perfectly fine. We're talking 1 ticket/PNR, most obviously, and transfer within T3 only (as the huge majority of transfers are)

For I-D, I've done several short transfers as well (Shortest being 90min) - this will work as well, but obviously you can't slack off. Domestic security usually is fast, and they'll let you in front of the immigration if you've a tight connection. Luggage made it always, too. I even had 5min for the domestic lounge on the tighest connection (otherwise, usually about 10-15min) on such tight connections. I never had to ask to be let in front of immigration, due to the lines being fast enough. Bring a pen, just grab a form and queue immediately. Last 5 I-D connections, arrival in the early morning (the 'mid day departures from Europe) I never queued more than 20min this way. Was in the shuttle to T3 main within 50min of touch down (Bus arrival) in the worst case, and about 15min best case (ie, about 30min door-to-door, not too bad for I-D!)

Queue management seems to have improved a lot (a few years ago I experienced an early morning 90min queue twice, which would have made people with short I-D connections to miss their flights unless priorized, which I could seen having been done) and in short, you're almost always in safe position.

Yes, if your I-I connection arrives extremely late (but you really should know such thing on the ground in your departing area, and be able to call/make changes while there!) and you're lacking a visa and valid TWOV schedule then, there might be some issues. But for a long haul I to (any) I connection, there really isn't much to go wrong for a seasoned traveller. Which we all assume here are (not so sure about some people above me, though..)

In short, the only connection where I'd put some more time into in PEK (and only for the reason that I'd like not to be delayed too much) are as following:
I-I connections where incoming I is only "regional" (and even there, an hour extra above MCT should do)
I-D connections where D is only served very seldom. Again, one hour extra for safety about MCT.
D-I connections where I is served in such a manner that missing the flight would cause me some headache.

Otherwise, I-I is easily doable with MCT, as is I-D with frequent connections. And D-I is also perfectly fine, better in the morning than the evening though (and depending on the season, I'd also build in a bit more time)

In short, transfer in PEK isn't great, I'd pick ZRH or SIN over it anytime and a few other airports too, but it's FAR from being as bad as what some people here trying to make it sound. And it's literally better than to "transfer" at any US airport for the average traveller.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I've done over 20 connections I-D & I-I & D-I in PEK in the last three years (more in the more remote past, but things have changed - mostly for the better!), with some (all 3 categories) being as close as 90min. Made all of them. International flights (long haul, not the "international" ones from HKG or the like) are almost guaranteed to be on time unless something else happens (usually while still on the ground in your port of departure, so you can already take some measurements)

If you've a more-or-less on time arrival, 90min for I-I is perfectly fine. We're talking 1 ticket/PNR, most obviously, and transfer within T3 only (as the huge majority of transfers are)

For I-D, I've done several short transfers as well (Shortest being 90min) - this will work as well, but obviously you can't slack off. Domestic security usually is fast, and they'll let you in front of the immigration if you've a tight connection. Luggage made it always, too. I even had 5min for the domestic lounge on the tighest connection (otherwise, usually about 10-15min) on such tight connections. I never had to ask to be let in front of immigration, due to the lines being fast enough. Bring a pen, just grab a form and queue immediately. Last 5 I-D connections, arrival in the early morning (the 'mid day departures from Europe) I never queued more than 20min this way. Was in the shuttle to T3 main within 50min of touch down (Bus arrival) in the worst case, and about 15min best case (ie, about 30min door-to-door, not too bad for I-D!)

Queue management seems to have improved a lot (a few years ago I experienced an early morning 90min queue twice, which would have made people with short I-D connections to miss their flights unless priorized, which I could seen having been done) and in short, you're almost always in safe position.

Yes, if your I-I connection arrives extremely late (but you really should know such thing on the ground in your departing area, and be able to call/make changes while there!) and you're lacking a visa and valid TWOV schedule then, there might be some issues. But for a long haul I to (any) I connection, there really isn't much to go wrong for a seasoned traveller. Which we all assume here are (not so sure about some people above me, though..)

In short, the only connection where I'd put some more time into in PEK (and only for the reason that I'd like not to be delayed too much) are as following:
I-I connections where incoming I is only "regional" (and even there, an hour extra above MCT should do)
I-D connections where D is only served very seldom. Again, one hour extra for safety about MCT.
D-I connections where I is served in such a manner that missing the flight would cause me some headache.

Otherwise, I-I is easily doable with MCT, as is I-D with frequent connections. And D-I is also perfectly fine, better in the morning than the evening though (and depending on the season, I'd also build in a bit more time)

In short, transfer in PEK isn't great, I'd pick ZRH or SIN over it anytime and a few other airports too, but it's FAR from being as bad as what some people here trying to make it sound. And it's literally better than to "transfer" at any US airport for the average traveller.
I challenge you to name a single hub airport in the US or Europe that underperforms PEK.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2019 at 8:38 am Reason: Unneeded comment removed
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I challenge you to name a single hub airport in the US or Europe that underperforms PEK.
LHR if you've to change terminals is crazy already. You might even need a visa do to the transfer. Plenty of reports about LHR on FT..

CDG used to be EXTREMELY bad (definitely worse than a simple T3-T3 transit in PEK) and FRA can be a nightmare too. It doesn't have it's name "FRAnkenstein" from being a great airport.. Depending what kind of connection you've, PEK is easier STILL than FRA or CDG.

US airports are NOT designed to facilitate transfers (especially int-int) at all, and you need to pay to transfer (ESTA) even if you simply want to transfer it. With a risk of being "denied". And forced luggage re-check on INT-INT. And easily hour-long queues (I've heard plenty of reports of travellers being stuck 3-4hrs in the immigration queue at different US airports) that make PEK on even the busiest day not look too bad.

So yeah, they're all easily much worse than PEK.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2019 at 8:40 am Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; removed response to deleted content
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
FRA can be a nightmare too. It doesn't have it's name "FRAnkenstein" from being a great airport.. Depending what kind of connection you've, PEK is easier STILL than FRA or CDG.
I strongly disagree about FRA, and I don't get why its reputation is so bad. Sure, it's a huge maze of an airport, but either follow the signs or know where you're going and it never takes too long to get there. And every time I've faced the prospect of inconvenient transfer security, LH has arranged a bus tarmac transfer. I regularly get lounge time on 50-minute transfers there.

US airports are NOT designed to facilitate transfers (especially int-int) at all, and you need to pay to transfer (ESTA) even if you simply want to transfer it. With a risk of being "denied". And forced luggage re-check on INT-INT. And easily hour-long queues (I've heard plenty of reports of travellers being stuck 3-4hrs in the immigration queue at different US airports) that make PEK on even the busiest day not look too bad.
US airports are hopeless for I/I, that's true. The USA just assumes no one would ever want to do this, and they don't care that they're wrong. The NZ 1/2 experiences at LAX sound particularly bad.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Reasonable MCT at PEK?

I'm looking at an award flight that would have me connecting in PEK with just 1 hour 35 min. Apparently a terminal change, too. Connecting from TG to UA.

I don't know anything about PEK but I assume it's gotta be a big airport. And I know that things in China don't always run with Swiss precision. Given that -- and the fact that I think I would be on the last UA flight out that day (departing at 17:30), I'm guessing this is too risky a connection. I won't have a Visa so if I misconnect, I assume I would be stuck in the airport for 24 hours, which doesn't sound like fun.

What say you - would you take a 1h 35min connection in PEK? I will have checked bags, but this would be a homeward flight, so if the bags arrive a day later than me it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd rather not spend the night in Beijing's airport though.

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I find this very tight. Are you on one ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.