Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I just want to add a data point as my experience doesn’t match some of what I read here. I am traveling paid J and have requested an upgrade using miles. Right now my name appears on the flight standby list, on the J upgrade standby list, and twice on the F upgrade standby list. I’ve been assured I still have my J seat assignment. YMMV

Last edited by In2ishn; Oct 10, 2017 at 7:31 am Reason: Error in paragraph
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by In2ishn
I just want to add a data point as my experience doesn’t match some of what I read here. I am traveling paid J and have requested an upgrade using miles. Right now my name appears on the flight standby list, on the J upgrade standby list, and twice on the F upgrade standby list. I’ve been assured I still have my J seat assignment. YMMV
Are you sure it's you on the J standby list, and not somebody else with your first initial, and the first 3 letters of your last name?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by SS255
Are you sure it's you on the J standby list, and not somebody else with your first initial, and the first 3 letters of your last name?
Fair question. I suppose I made the assumption as the names all appeared at same time when I checked in. Stranger things have happened so you may be right
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by In2ishn
Fair question. I suppose I made the assumption as the names all appeared at same time when I checked in. Stranger things have happened so you may be right
twice on the F UG list ... that is your clue. NRSA on coach/biz/first and you on first only. Makes 1/1/2
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:52 am
Suspended

Makes sense. A bit weird that they all appeared at the same time but my name doesn’t contain truly unusual letters.

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: 3 MMer
I've seen my last name (3 Letters) and first name (1 letter) on the upgrade list in 2 different places. My name never got called, and as I walked past 3B I spoke to the gentleman who verified that he was also concerned until he got his 1st class b/p (and I didn't).
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alaska and Virgin America require you to show ID when you go up to get a new BP. UA should do the same.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Alaska and Virgin America require you to show ID when you go up to get a new BP. UA should do the same.
I like the current method - just call me up with a new boarding pass or find me on the plane (they have been very good about getting on the plane to upgrade me, at least for me)

I've already cleared TSA - I've got carryons, computer, etc - should I really need to dig out a ID for the incredibly rare scammer who tries to take my seat?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:46 pm

How hard is it go show ID? It can't be that difficult, right???

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I've already cleared TSA - I've got carryons, computer, etc - should I really need to dig out a ID for the incredibly rare scammer who tries to take my seat?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
How hard is it go show ID? It can't be that difficult, right???
Nobody said it's hard, just that it's pointless.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Pointless to make sure the right person is getting the BP? If ID had been asked for this thread would not exist.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Baze
Pointless to make sure the right person is getting the BP? If ID had been asked for this thread would not exist.
Yes, pointless, or very close thereto. How often can a scammer successfully grab an upgrade in this scenario without being caught? It's just a more egregious example of the seat poaching that goes on in economy.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
The title of this thread is --- "Upgrade Shenanigans?"
I have learned a lot of valuable info on this forum, and the recent
"heads up" for me is the fact that if one does board their flight, and relies on the g/a to come on board to move them up, it probably will go as planned. However, if someone is the wiser, and hangs out at the gate until the last minute and hears someone's named called, and that person doesn't respond asap, then anyone can go up and claim the f/c b/p, it seems, especially w/o turning in the steerage b/p, or showing a picture i.d.

Joe, hang around this forum long enough and you will soon learn that scams are occurring in "The Friendly Sky's" on a regular basis. I trust no-one!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Two Bee
The title of this thread is --- "Upgrade Shenanigans?"
I have learned a lot of valuable info on this forum, and the recent
"heads up" for me is the fact that if one does board their flight, and relies on the g/a to come on board to move them up, it probably will go as planned. However, if someone is the wiser, and hangs out at the gate until the last minute and hears someone's named called, and that person doesn't respond asap, then anyone can go up and claim the f/c b/p, it seems, especially w/o turning in the steerage b/p, or showing a picture i.d.

Joe, hang around this forum long enough and you will soon learn that scams are occurring in "The Friendly Sky's" on a regular basis. I trust no-one!
The only two ways this scam works is if the legit passenger no-shows the flight or if the upgrade clears extremely late and the legit passenger doesn't see it on his phone after boarding. Requiring ID for hundreds if not thousands of daily upgrades because of one failed scam attempt seems like overkill.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only two ways this scam works is if the legit passenger no-shows the flight or if the upgrade clears extremely late and the legit passenger doesn't see it on his phone after boarding. Requiring ID for hundreds if not thousands of daily upgrades because of one failed scam attempt seems like overkill.
Just because FlyerTalkers are obsessive doesn't mean the average fly is too. I would venture to guess most don't check. Scammers know that. Takes what, 7 seconds to get your ID out of your wallet. I'll take that. Wonder how many things you have missed out on in life because 7 seconds is too much for you to make sure someone else doesn't take what is yours if you are not obsessive. And I would also venture to guess there are far more than 1 scam attempt. But your good feelings about human nature are to be admired, if not misplaced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.