Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
No one on FT realizes how broke these lists are, they can barely handle sorting by status. When you add companions and all sorts of instruments and the system gets confused by fare classes things get very bad. The list is broken.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
as one poster pointed out, not if a GS supported their upgrade (seems kinda unlikely ORD-LGA).
Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed; that seems like a waste of PlusPoints even if you're really flush.
At the end of my one year as a 1K, I had expiring PP so I upgraded my nephew for LAX-BZN. Tried to apply them to the HNL-LAX leg too but of course that one didn't clear. He enjoyed the flight anyway.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 4:50 pm

Tried to upgrade my coworker with PlusPoints for the UA857 flight on last Friday 7/30. Waitlisted for both Premium Plus and Polaris Business. The processing of the upgrade list was really messed up:

1. The flight went out with 52 out of 60 Polaris Business seats booked and checked in according to flight status. The seat map showed 8 Polaris seats unoccupied. My coworker ended up as one of the top 8 in the Polaris Business waitlist.
2. His name disappeared from the Premium Plus waitlist, but he was told to take the original Economy seat as he boarded. PP seats were shown as 26 booked, 24/24 checked in per flight status.
3. His reservation did not show any seat assignment, but after the flight departed, his receipt showed a Premium Plus (RN) fare and a seat number in the PP section. My coworker is not a MP member and not a frequent UA flyer, so he did not have the app or electronic boarding pass. He told me that he did check onboard with the FA and was still told to take the economy seat shown on his paper boarding pass. (I suspect that had he had the app, he might be able to see the new seat assignment)
4. Today all 40 waitlisted PlusPoints returned to my account, showing 0 deducted.

Last edited by B747SP; Aug 2, 2021 at 5:20 pm
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by B747SP
Tried to upgrade my coworker with PlusPoints for the UA857 flight on last Friday 7/30. Waitlisted for both Premium Plus and Polaris Business. The processing of the upgrade list was really messed up:

1. The flight went out with 52 out of 60 Polaris Business seats booked and checked in according to flight status. The seat map showed 8 Polaris seats unoccupied. My coworker ended up as one of the top 8 in the Polaris Business waitlist.
2. His name disappeared from the Premium Plus waitlist, but he was told to take the original Economy seat as he boarded. PP seats were shown as 26 booked, 24/24 checked in per flight status.
3. His reservation did not show any seat assignment, but after the flight departed, his receipt showed a Premium Plus (RN) fare and a seat number in the PP section. My coworker is not a MP member and not a frequent UA flyer, so he did not have the app or electronic boarding pass. He told me that he did check onboard with the FA and was still told to take the economy seat shown on his paper boarding pass. (I suspect that had he had the app, he might be able to see the new seat assignment)
4. Today all 40 waitlisted PlusPoints returned to my account, showing 0 deducted.
this is true shenanigans
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
this is true shenanigans
Was anyone seated in those seats? If yes, then absolutely especially if any were in uniform or badged, if not, then I would call 50/50 shenanigans vs just a lazy, sloppy GA who didn't care.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seat map
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Was anyone seated in those seats? If yes, then absolutely especially if any were in uniform or badged, if not, then I would call 50/50 shenanigans vs just a lazy, sloppy GA who didn't care.
My coworker did not go to the front to check if those Polaris or Premium Plus seats were taken. He's not a frequent flyer and did not expect the upgrade to clear, so he was totally cool with being told to take the assigned economy seat. Given that UA did not deduct my PlusPoints even though the receipt showed RN and a PP seat number, my guess is that it was the GA omitting the upgrade in order to get the flight out on time, and UA knows about this.

Similar situation happened to me personally a few years ago - GA did not process the upgrade list which I waitlisted with a GPU, and I got to sit in economy while the SFO-HKG flight went out with empty biz class seats. At that time I did check the seats were empty, talked to FA and nothing they could do. It hurt more than this time because back then to use a GPU one needed to buy a high economy fare.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:28 am
azj

Interesting thing here. I bought Premium Plus on a HNL bound flight with no CPU’s. Then I applied Points Plus. I’ve been #1 on the WL for several days with the same individual as #2. That individual is also on the Premium Plus upgrade list, leading me to believe he/she is booked in the main cabin. Within the last hour, we have flip flopped the #1 and #2 positions. Anyone experience this? He/she could be GS or 1K and I’m only Plat. But I thought PremiumPlus would upgrade ahead of main cabin despite status?

Btw - their new text feature is useless. I was boarding so thought texting would be easier. The agent however is just quoting me what the website says and not understanding the situation.

update… turns out in a twist of coincidence the guy who bumped in ahead of me had the same initials. I overheard him talking on the phone behind me, he had his trip reroute. He’s a 1K and was somehow listed with PP for both F and Premium. I confirmed with the gate agent that status will take priority over fare and class booked, which does contradict the website. Would be nice if they cleared that up.

Last edited by azj; Aug 4, 2021 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azj
Interesting thing here. I bought Premium Plus on a HNL bound flight with no CPU’s. Then I applied Points Plus. I’ve been #1 on the WL for several days with the same individual as #2. That individual is also on the Premium Plus upgrade list, leading me to believe he/she is booked in the main cabin. Within the last hour, we have flip flopped the #1 and #2 positions. Anyone experience this? He/she could be GS or 1K and I’m only Plat. But I thought PremiumPlus would upgrade ahead of main cabin despite status?

Btw - their new text feature is useless. I was boarding so thought texting would be easier. The agent however is just quoting me what the website says and not understanding the situation.
The upgrade lists are, unfortunately, essentially meaningless, and have been since the introduction of Premium Plus. I don't believe that everyone on the Premium Plus waitlist is actually in the main cabin.

Furthermore, there is no question that a GS in the main cabin would trump a non-GS in the Premium Plus cabin, despite what the website says.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by azj
...But I thought PremiumPlus would upgrade ahead of main cabin despite status?....
Maybe they bought up to a Premium Plus seat in the meantime. Also, it is possible to switch the application of PP; we have GS, 1K, and Plat in my family. I use the PP from each account as needed, saving the GS PP for the more competitive situations.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by azj

Did the #2 person also disappear from the PremPlus upgrade list? If so, they likely changed their ticket and are now on a higher fare class than you. Just a possibility.

-RM
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

I had a somewhat similar experience traveling from CDG to IAD last week. My upgrade from SFO to MUC on the way out cleared without a problem. The return flight was an issue. I booked everything as a B fare, so thought I was getting PremiumPlus. I was offered 50 points to skip-the-waitlist, so I took it. When I called, I was told that the 50 points put me into PremiumPlus (where I thought I as anyway, but apparently not) and that I was waitlisted for Polaris. I called twice more before departure and was told that I’d be waitlisted for the front cabin.

So, the day before departure, Polaris was open but there was no waitlist. I called and the most convincing explanation that I was given was that they’d fix it at CDG. They couldn’t. The waitlist finally appeared about three hours from departure. It had four NRSAs. I wasn’t on the list and they couldn’t add me. The flight left with two open seats and one blocked in the Polaris cabin. The four NRSAs cleared.

Based on what I was told when I got back (and I tend to take the worst point of view as Gospel), if you select skip-the-waitlist, and you end up in PremiumPlus, you cannot be waitlisted for Polaris. It took an hour speaking to a CS agent, who read through all the notes and spoke to two supervisors; she couldn’t explain what happened, but the agent refunded all the PlusPoints (CDG/IAD and SFO/MUC) and gave me $200, as she (presumably) couldn’t figure it out. The problem wasn’t solved, but I appreciated the gesture.

So, no more skipping-the-waitlist for me.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I had a somewhat similar experience traveling from CDG to IAD last week. My upgrade from SFO to MUC on the way out cleared without a problem. The return flight was an issue. I booked everything as a B fare, so thought I was getting PremiumPlus.
B is an economy fare, not Premium Plus.

It is also used as an inventory bucket for legs of a Premium Plus fare when there is no P+ cabin on a given flight. So, you might see CDG-IAD (R) / IAD-SFO (B); that's an R fare, and is P+. But if both classes were B, it'd be an economy fare -- even though it'd probably be more expensive than the R fare would have been.

That mix-up is really unfortunate, though. UA really needs to do a better job of explaining exactly what you're getting.
SPN Lifer and runner450 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Based on what I was told when I got back (and I tend to take the worst point of view as Gospel), if you select skip-the-waitlist, and you end up in PremiumPlus, you cannot be waitlisted for Polaris.
Originally Posted by jsloan
That mix-up is really unfortunate, though. UA really needs to do a better job of explaining exactly what you're getting.
UA has never fixed what they broke when they introduced Premium Plus and then Plus Points.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
My 1K MM companion and his wife used my PP’s for today’s EWR-LAX (UA 751).

He (CHA, D) was upgraded to Premium Plus at the gate, causing their reservation to split, leaving her (CHA, A) at #1 on the Premium Plus list. She has no UA status on her own. The flight got delayed, and he ended up getting upgraded to J. She was still #1 on the Y—>PP list, which now showed booked 19 out of 21, with 1 seat blocked. Just before they took off, #2 on the gate upgrade list (BUR, S) got upgraded to PP, leaving her as #1 on the list.

I’m planning to write to 1K Voice, but I wanted to put this one out to the FT experts first.

(She sat in J, of course!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.