Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by clubord
Flyertalk aside, I personally don’t get why anyone would assume employees habitually risk their jobs (both parties involved) by deliberately sidestepping the upgrade list to begin with.

To perform such an action would require one to be logged into the gate management system, using a company workstation where every keystroke, seat movement, upgrade/downgrade is monitored, timestamped, and recorded by United.

The seat management process is so easily tracked, it would be career suicide for both for the CS agent and the pass rider to pull such an act as is inferred by some posters here.

I get it’s not a perfect system and people can make mistakes. If you feel violated by all means continue reporting it to the airline and keep the agents accountable, it helps us all in the end. But I do think 57 pages worth of this is a bit much to do about nothing considering none of us have ALL the facts for each situation.
And you would be incorrect - it's been going on for years, and not just on United. If you want an even better example, check out the Delta forum as agents at ATL do this on a regular basis with impunity. Quite often the process for the gate agent is to move their friend/colleague or whoever into a premium cabin, then after the door closes, go back to the workstation and clear the waitlist so the customer shows up in the premium cabin, but never knew about it. In this case the only risk they take is the customer checking the waitlist status on the app before it disappears and finding out they were upgraded and making a fuss - a very low risk. In my experience a substantial number of agents don't even know we can access the list on the app away from the gate screen, and I've personally tripped up a few over the years by showing them my phone - and they were none too happy at all that I was able to monitor the list on my own, including one who was obviously planning a shenanigan move, but I foiled her plan and she needed to clear the list properly.

Personally I don't see that UA takes complaints about these issues that seriously, or any more seriously than Delta, who has demonstrated over the years that they simply do not care.

If you want to prevent shenanigans, be vigilant, be proactive and be vocal when you see something isn't right.
Xyzzy and donjo like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's stay focused on UA in this forum. Thanks

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
And you would be incorrect - it's been going on for years, and not just on United. If you want an even better example, check out the Delta forum as agents at ATL do this on a regular basis with impunity. Quite often the process for the gate agent is to move their friend/colleague or whoever into a premium cabin, then after the door closes, go back to the workstation and clear the waitlist so the customer shows up in the premium cabin, but never knew about it. In this case the only risk they take is the customer checking the waitlist status on the app before it disappears and finding out they were upgraded and making a fuss - a very low risk. In my experience a substantial number of agents don't even know we can access the list on the app away from the gate screen, and I've personally tripped up a few over the years by showing them my phone - and they were none too happy at all that I was able to monitor the list on my own, including one who was obviously planning a shenanigan move, but I foiled her plan and she needed to clear the list properly.

Personally I don't see that UA takes complaints about these issues that seriously, or any more seriously than Delta, who has demonstrated over the years that they simply do not care.

If you want to prevent shenanigans, be vigilant, be proactive and be vocal when you see something isn't right.
I have a feeling continuing to engage in this dialogue is fruitless at this point.

Best of luck with your travels Bud.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
a substantial number of agents don't even know we can access the list on the app away from the gate screen, and I've personally tripped up a few over the years by showing them my phone - and they were none too happy at all that I was able to monitor the list on my own.

That's hilarious, how do they not know? I haven't stared at the screen in ages even when I am at the gate. I will say, however, that I know some nonrev friends who 'miraculously' clear into F (on a different airline)
Old Jul 30, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Onthesam +1 we're #1 and #2 on the list for a our flight today as of last night. Another party of 4 were #s3-6..

Woke up this morning and party of 4 are now 1-4 and we're 5-6.

Applied PPs but we're still 5-6. What gives?
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthesam
Onthesam +1 we're #1 and #2 on the list for a our flight today as of last night. Another party of 4 were #s3-6..

Most likely: They had GS friends apply PPs.

They applied PPs and upfared? (Odd, but possible).

The list is just phenomenally incorrect (Sadly possible, especially if it's a flight with Premium Plus).
onthesam and nomad420 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What gives?
Kind of gave up trying to figure out or explain these thing when UA broke the system with implementation of PlusPoints.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: None - previously UA

This has happened to me when checking in on an award flight where first segment was paid for and confirmed in I but just waitlisted for I for the second flight. Once checked in jumped way up the list, but who knows if that is the case here.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Most likely: They had GS friends apply PPs..
I have applied PPs at or near T24 and never seem to significantly move on the UG list. I now apply them at the time of booking on basically every flight, I think it helps a bit as you are at least a head of similar status paxs that applies them after you.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I have applied PPs at or near T24 and never seem to significantly move on the UG list. I now apply them at the time of booking on basically every flight, I think it helps a bit as you are at least a head of similar status paxs that applies them after you.
Time of waitlist is (supposed to be) the very last tiebreaker. Status, then a whole bunch of random things like whether or not you're a Club Card member and whether or not your employer is a preferred partner, and then fare class, and then time of request.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Time of waitlist is (supposed to be) the very last tiebreaker. Status, then a whole bunch of random things like whether or not you're a Club Card member and whether or not your employer is a preferred partner, and then fare class, and then time of request.
Agree and yes that is what I have heard as well. But I guess all things being equal it is something. At this point I have the PPs so may as well use them. I haven't had much luck with CPUs lately.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
In this instance:

We made our the reservation after the party of 4. Before we made the reservation they were #1-4. After they were #3-6 and we were #1-4, by inference I had higher status.

Theoretically we should have been ahead on instruments as well, but as one poster pointed out, not if a GS supported their upgrade (seems kinda unlikely ORD-LGA).

Anyways, we decided to head to EYW instead.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We made our the reservation after the party of 4. Before we made the reservation they were #1-4. After they were #3-6 and we were #1-4, by inference I had higher status.
Not necessarily. You could have been at the same status level with a higher fare class. That said, I think that it's pretty irrefutable that the UA upgrade ordering system doesn't always work the way it's supposed to work.

Theoretically we should have been ahead on instruments as well, but as one poster pointed out, not if a GS supported their upgrade (seems kinda unlikely ORD-LGA).
Agreed; that seems like a waste of PlusPoints even if you're really flush.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2021 at 3:43 pm Reason: repaoired quote
Old Jul 30, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Agreed; that seems like a waste of PlusPoints even if you're really flush.
I've been applying regularly to PHX-SFO, as they would otherwise expire unused. The differential to F is now up to $129, so that's my value for 20 PP.
SPN Lifer and nomad420 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've been applying regularly to PHX-SFO, as they would otherwise expire unused. The differential to F is now up to $129, so that's my value for 20 PP.
I got some to clear with the buy-up offer at $164, so I'm doing about $35 better than you are.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.