Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United employee accused of stealing luggage during Asiana crash diversions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United employee accused of stealing luggage during Asiana crash diversions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by eng3
Wow, I wonder how many times they've allegedly done this in the past and didn't get caught.
Yeah, they didn't stop them. No one who being caught this guy. What a shame!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Thumbs down

Wonder if any regulars of SFO have bumped in to this thug before? Kudos to SFPD for catching up with the scum...

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
#UA - Shame on you.
What does UA have to do with this?! Unless the guy had prior convictions for theft (which I highly doubt UA would have missed in the background checks) there is really not a whole lot UA could do to change a persons personality!

It's not like UA gave this guy a gun and a badge! He's a CSR and am sure the vetting process for this position doesn't involve a very sophisticated psych eval. and even then, there is no guarantee they can filter all the nuts and scum!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 31, 2013 at 5:23 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by payam81
It's not like UA gave this guy a gun and a badge!
Nope, but the TSA goons who get them are just as likely to be crooks.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by eng3
Had Local Fox News on and they just reported that the people that allegedly stole the luggage stole bags from the passengers of the asiana flight that crashed.

Do these people think before they report stuff?
The couple must be democrats
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold
Wow! He is one of Jeffie's coworkers - the most professional men and women in the industry! Cough. Cough.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Come on now.........Do you know how easy it is to "steal' a bag these days.....I use a VERY COMMON Louis Vuitton bag that half the people flying into places like Nice or Aspen probably have as well. TWICE in the last five or so years I have gotten to my hotel only to find I had the WRONG bag!!!! Exactly the same as mine, and I was distracted both times but if I can take a $4000 bag by accident TWICE, Im sure it can be done on purpose many more times then this........LGA is the only airport I know of where they even bother to check people leaving with luggage (they check tags) Im sure there must be other airports but either I have not flown there or not checked bags....I find it hard ot understand why the airlines wont invest the few $$ to hire a few min wage employees to check tags as they do in LGA. Its a pin in the A.. sometimes but its for OUR protection and I'm glad they do it
This EXACTLY happened to a friend I was traveling with to Milan. We get to the hotel in Milan, she opens her LV suitcase, and there she sees someone else's clothes! The other person took my friend's suitcase as well and both had to go back to Linate.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelBeat
The stolen luggage part doesn't surprise me. There were hundreds upon hundreds of pieces of luggage in the baggage claim area of Terminal 3 on July 6th when the airport was effectively closed for most of the day. It was pure mayhem, and the sheer number of bags was incredible; prime pickings for any thief who wanted to walk in and walk away with anything they fancied!
So true - it was an incredible pile of bags

When I went to reclaim my bags from my scrubbed UA837 that day, amongst a massive pile of bags, I had to show my bag tags to a worker there. I actually appreciated that check.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
This EXACTLY happened to a friend I was traveling with to Milan. We get to the hotel in Milan, she opens her LV suitcase, and there she sees someone else's clothes! The other person took my friend's suitcase as well and both had to go back to Linate.
THAT WAS ME!!!!! I still have your friends underwear (Of course Im kidding but I now have such bright tags on my bags, that I hope this problem never happens again to me. Thats the problem with these high priced bags (Note I didn't say over priced as my bags look as good as they did 15 years ago when I bought them) ....a lot of people have them that fly into certain high profile (read stations where money lurks). An easy problem to avoid if someone....ANYONE would just check tags but if airports like NCE, ZRH, DXB, GVA, WPB, etc ,etc are not going to check tags, I doubt EWR and IAH will start any tie soon
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Nicksterguy
Wow! He is one of Jeffie's coworkers - the most professional men and women in the industry! Cough. Cough.
Look, Jeffie only promised you clean, safe, and reliable transportation... he's never been caught on camera promising that you will be reunited with your luggage!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:31 am

Another outstanding Jeff's co-workers from a few months ago ...
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:56 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
An update:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/art...ts-4702865.php

Looks like the couple was caught as part of a "police sting" and that "United Airlines started its investigation earlier this year after receiving some 50 complaints from passengers". Whether the driving force was SFPD or UA isn't clear, but it's nice to know that something active is being done.

Edit: Oops, different baggage theft story...

Last edited by SFOPhD; Aug 3, 2013 at 2:51 pm Reason: oops
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
An update:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/art...ts-4702865.php

Looks like the couple was caught as part of a "police sting" and that "United Airlines started its investigation earlier this year after receiving some 50 complaints from passengers". Whether the driving force was SFPD or UA isn't clear, but it's nice to know that something active is being done.
You are mixing the story about the couple with the story about the individual caught in the sting
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by payam81
What does UA have to do with this?! Unless the guy had prior convictions for theft (which I highly doubt UA would have missed in the background checks) there is really not a whole lot UA could do to change a persons personality!
It's called security cameras.

If they were actually accountable for theft they would do something about it.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It's called security cameras.

If they were actually accountable for theft they would do something about it.
I'm not sure what's your point about cameras as those in the baggage claim are generally not operated by individual airlines rather by the airport operator or the PD attached to it.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:52 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
You are mixing the story about the couple with the story about the individual caught in the sting
You're correct. My mistake.

It is slightly disconcerting that there are enough of those stories to confuse...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.