Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United employee accused of stealing luggage during Asiana crash diversions

Old Jul 29, 13, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Stolen luggage at SFO, at the United HUB is not rare...Living in the Bay Area these headlines appear much too often.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-from-luggage/

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigat...165603146.html
Old Jul 30, 13, 12:36 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Only made possible by the tags probably still being on the clothing.
I don't know why they would go all at once and return everything to a smaller Nordstrom. Idiots. Over time and different locations. Geez, can't people even steal right?

You don't need tags on garments to return, the RN number on the care label is enough -

(The reason I know this is because I know people in L.P. [Loss Prevention] and I have heard all sorts of stories of not only customers stealing, but also employees, who sometimes make up the largest percentage of theft at a store like Nordstrom/Neimans/Bergdorf.)
Old Jul 30, 13, 2:35 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
The stolen luggage part doesn't surprise me. There were hundreds upon hundreds of pieces of luggage in the baggage claim area of Terminal 3 on July 6th when the airport was effectively closed for most of the day. It was pure mayhem, and the sheer number of bags was incredible; prime pickings for any thief who wanted to walk in and walk away with anything they fancied!

Glad these crooks were nabbed. What a shame they found the need to steal from their own passengers during a tragedy.
Old Jul 30, 13, 4:03 am

Programs: UA 1K

I often check a bag when returning from an overseas trip. I keep all the good stuff in my carry-on and check-in a small fold-out duffle bag with my dirty laundry.
Old Jul 30, 13, 7:52 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home View Post
No evidence, but very hard to imagine this being pulled off at such a busy place without "protection". And hard to believe this is a first time offender if he is that long at UA. Glad they got caught.
Come on now.........Do you know how easy it is to "steal' a bag these days.....I use a VERY COMMON Louis Vuitton bag that half the people flying into places like Nice or Aspen probably have as well. TWICE in the last five or so years I have gotten to my hotel only to find I had the WRONG bag!!!! Exactly the same as mine, and I was distracted both times but if I can take a $4000 bag by accident TWICE, Im sure it can be done on purpose many more times then this........LGA is the only airport I know of where they even bother to check people leaving with luggage (they check tags) Im sure there must be other airports but either I have not flown there or not checked bags....I find it hard ot understand why the airlines wont invest the few $$ to hire a few min wage employees to check tags as they do in LGA. Its a pin in the A.. sometimes but its for OUR protection and I'm glad they do it
Old Jul 30, 13, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
This is sadly a way-too-common practice at many airports and many airlines. It's not really the airlines' fault. Lots of lower-paid baggage handlers left alone with potentially valuable luggage. It's going to happen.
Old Jul 30, 13, 11:07 am

Programs: AA 1.66MM EXP EMD, UA 1.29MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
#UA - Shame on you.
Old Jul 30, 13, 11:15 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
#UA - Shame on you.
Truly doubt it was sanctioned/sponsored/approved by UA. Shame on the couple. Place blame where it belongs.
Old Jul 30, 13, 11:30 am

Programs: AA 1.66MM EXP EMD, UA 1.29MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
Truly doubt it was sanctioned/sponsored/approved by UA. Shame on the couple. Place blame where it belongs.
You are not wrong, the couple are at the fault and they should really be the ones who are responsible for the incident. However, the general public reads it, they will point their fingers to UA who were hiring thieves to handle their bags when flying on UA.

PS: When your kids did something embarrassing in a public place, they don't take the blame. A responsible company, like our parents, are the ones who take the blame, and for some inhuman practices like these, it is truly a no-brainer.
Old Jul 30, 13, 11:54 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
You are not wrong, the couple are at the fault and they should really be the ones who are responsible for the incident. However, the general public reads it, they will point their fingers to UA who were hiring thieves to handle their bags when flying on UA.

PS: When your kids did something embarrassing in a public place, they don't take the blame. A responsible company, like our parents, are the ones who take the blame, and for some inhuman practices like these, it is truly a no-brainer.

How UA deals with the bags owners and the employee is of course something I think we can attribute to them. I assume the person will be canned, but if there is a follow up on how the owners were made whole, I'd be interested in seeing.

One of the reasons I don't have kids. I get blamed for enough things out of my sphere of influence already, don't need more.
Old Jul 30, 13, 12:12 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I saw this story on KTVU-2 news last night (yes, that station!), and the reporter made a couple of points not in the article linked above:

• The crime was exposed because the owner of the returned garments had a personal shopper at Nordstrom, who noticed the returns and called the owner to ask why she (I believe was she) returned them. When she said they were stolen, surveillance footage was reviewed to find the perp. Not sure if details were missing, but that is my recollection.
  • The connection to Asiana 214 was that, in the aftermath of the crash, apparently a lot of luggage was lying around baggage claim, due to the large number of IRROPS. I also thought the news report said the perp did not steal the bags but rather took items out of them, but this article indicates otherwise.

Interestingly, the KTVU reporter and anchor pronounced Asiana, the name of the airline that threatneed to sue the station, as "AH-see-AWN-uh." Is that correct?
Old Jul 30, 13, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Interestingly, the KTVU reporter and anchor pronounced Asiana, the name of the airline that threatneed to sue the station, as "AH-see-AWN-uh." Is that correct?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...on-asiana.html
Old Jul 30, 13, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not just the Asiana crash that causes theft:

http://nickbradbury.com/2013/07/28/t...southwest-345/
Old Jul 30, 13, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
.LGA is the only airport I know of where they even bother to check people leaving with luggage (they check tags) Im sure there must be other airports but either I have not flown there or not checked bags....I find it hard to understand why the airlines wont invest the few $$ to hire a few min wage employees to check tags as they do in LGA. Its a pin in the A.. sometimes but its for OUR protection and I'm glad they do it
I hate the min-wage folks who do it at LGA. But your point is well-made.
Old Jul 30, 13, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Global Entry
Had Local Fox News on and they just reported that the people that allegedly stole the luggage stole bags from the passengers of the asiana flight that crashed.

Do these people think before they report stuff?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: