Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Which is better: UA vs ANA vs Singapore TransPac in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bldr1k
You must have been on a different airplane then I was two weeks ago. The NH seats didn't recline (they slid slightly forward) and I felt like the seat in front of me was in my face the whole flight. The spacing is way too tight and I felt claustrophobic even though I was the only one in my row.

No amount of food, drink or service on a 12 hour flight can make up for being packed in.
NH pitch is not optimal. But not having a sore back after 12 hours was refreshing, and yes, their food and beverage service is better.

But yes, all things being equal, I'd take E+ on UA.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by halls120
I disagree - I flew NH in Y IAD-NRT, and one thing I was favorably surprised with was the Y seat comfort - in particular, the lumbar support was outstanding. That said, I'd take E+ on UA if available over NH or SQ Y.
Originally Posted by halls120
NH pitch is not optimal. But not having a sore back after 12 hours was refreshing, and yes, their food and beverage service is better.
NH IAD-NRT had switched to some IOJ 77W on some days of the week already, which means non-reclining fixed back Y seat ! Some like it but most hate it. And despite they have 34" in Y for IOJ seats, if you recline, the seat will slide forward and you end up losing 2+ inches of legroom ! It is good if you decide not to "recline", but how many people like to sit up straight for 12+ hours ?

Also, food may be better on NH, but if you are hungry and want a second offer, don't think NH will be that flexible to give you a second even there are many leftovers. They go strictly by the rules, one meal per passenger ! UA however doesn't care, as they know the meals will end up in the trash anyway after the plane landed. Their mid-flight snack is as pathetic as UA, rice crackers, bananas, and kit kats. NH's non-alcoholic beverages in Y are also weaker than UA, no ginger ale, no cran-apple, and definately no full can. For intra-asia flights, you don't even get Sprite, just Pepsi.

Originally Posted by spin88
(3) If you are not getting a W or higher, then you will get the same mile bonus, and on ANA they will give you an exit row since you are *G. ANA values your loyalty.

If its an exit on ANA or E+, I would take ANA any day, any week, any year. Better food, better booze, better service, and the seats are more comfortable as well. And at NRT, got to the ANA lounge, it blows the UA one out of the water, other than the showers, which are better at UA. So shower at UA, then go to ANA lounge.
If you buy as UA codeshare NH, you can't pre-assign exit row in advance no matter on ANA's website or calling ANA diectly, you can only choose or switch seats 24 hours prior to departure. All they will ask is preference for aisle or window. You can only choose seats advance on NH not unless you buy it from NH directly. *G is totally irrelevant.

Not to mention, most people hate the non-reclining fixed back sliding seats.

Originally Posted by wayan
Now we're talking!!

What about including the DEN-NRT routing for the 50% mileage bonus and 787?

I know the 2,500 isn't much, but it would be cool to fly on the 787 - if its not grounded then. Any feelings on trusting the 787 for that long haul yet? I know this is pretty much a gut call at this point, but love to hear your feelings. Is it worth the route juggling to get the 787 experience? Or is the risk of it getting grounded again too great?
If you decide to go for DEN-NRT on the 787, howabout NH SEA-NRT instead ? NH is also running a 787, the seats in Y will be less narrow compare to UA's 787, as NH's 787 is 2-4-2 compare to UA 3-3-3, one less seat per row.

And you do realize the UA DEN-NRT 50% RDM bonus has a restriction of fares right ? It is only H and above, which means Q/V/W/S/T/L/K/G/N all excluded !

I had checked for IAD-SIN/BKK between the cheapest ticket (L class) to a H class ticket is more than $1000, does it worth to pay $1000+ to only get 2500 miles ? You can't choose H for DEN-NRT only with the rest of the segments in L.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 28, 2013 at 2:14 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
My decision tree would be:
If its an exit on ANA or E+, I would take ANA any day, any week, any year. Better food, better booze, better service, and the seats are more comfortable as well.
ANA meals are probably a bit better but have suffered cutbacks lately. I wouldn't really decide based on this.

And at NRT, got to the ANA lounge, it blows the UA one out of the water, other than the showers, which are better at UA. So shower at UA, then go to ANA lounge.
No restriction on using the ANA lounge when flying UA. I have to say, though, that I am not a fan of the ANA lounge that doesn't have any windows.

I know the food offering is better in the ANA lounge, but, tbh, I'd much rather have what's in the terminal than some instant udon that you get served in the lounge.

SQ will also give you an exit row, but I seem to recall they only will give the exit row on day of travel, not ahead of time. I would check that [Run a search here] if they give at time of booking to *G, then they are as good as ANA, you would just change in ICN or HKG (IAD-SFO-(ICN or HKG)-SIN) rather than NRT. You could also do IAD-JFK-FRA-SIN if you wanted.
Most cheap SQ fares don't earn miles. If he's buying a more expensive fare, then he could also likely afford a W fare on United.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
First, THANKS!! for the great detail. I love FlyerTalk.

My decision tree would be:

(1) are you buying a W fare? If so, its upgradable with your SWU. If you are willing to pop for a W and R space is available, then it is a no brainier, take UA.

(2) If the W is more expensive, then you need to decide if you are going to play the lottery.
I *may* be able to get the company to pay for W, this is for a conference, so not sure if the sponsor will pony up for W. I don't see any R inventory now, but .bomb isn't usually showing R inventory at all for any flight these days.

So... What are the upgrade lottery chance on ORD-NRT, DEN-NRT, SFO-NRT, IAD-NRT these days for a 1K in W?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I *may* be able to get the company to pay for W, this is for a conference, so not sure if the sponsor will pony up for W. I don't see any R inventory now, but .bomb isn't usually showing R inventory at all for any flight these days.

So... What are the upgrade lottery chance on ORD-NRT, DEN-NRT, SFO-NRT, IAD-NRT these days for a 1K in W?
Remember, 1 GPU will potentially upgrade you all the way to BKK or SIN.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

I would pick E+ on United and route via ORD or IAD to get PMUA.

I have flown SQ mostly the past few years as they are far better on fees and itinerary change policies.

But like in the NBA you can't teach height, in Y you can never compensate for more space. SQ is very cramped. E+ is positively luxurious by comparison.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 28, 2013 at 2:15 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
UA 777 or NH 787 in Y?

I have the option of flying either the 3-3-3 config 777 on United or the 787 on ANA from SEA - NRT. While I've flown the UA 777 numerous times I've yet to fly on the Dreamliner of any config or carrier.

I'm not a big fan of the newer, thinner seats on the 777 but from reading, it seems like the 787 would be similar in this regard.

I have no status with ANA other then *A Gold but being PP on United is not going to get me much more on an international flight in terms of service or amenities.

Considering the above, which would you choose?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by konoyaro
I have the option of flying either the 3-3-3 config 777 on United or the 787 on ANA from SEA - NRT. While I've flown the UA 777 numerous times I've yet to fly on the Dreamliner of any config or carrier.

I'm not a big fan of the newer, thinner seats on the 777 but from reading, it seems like the 787 would be similar in this regard.

I have no status with ANA other then *A Gold but being PP on United is not going to get me much more on an international flight in terms of service or amenities.

Considering the above, which would you choose?
I just chose UA (flying on Monday). I was able to choose a good E+ seat (as could you) and can hope for then 1% chance of an op up.
I flew ANA 787 business and didn't notice much atmospheric difference (and I hated the ANA C seats) so I am guessing that UA E+ is superior to ANA E even on a 787.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Andy
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
UA 777 or NH 787 in Y?

The new pmUA 777 seats are indeed thin - I use the pillow as a cushion for the tush.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The new pmUA 777 seats are indeed thin - I use the pillow as a cushion for the tush.
lol - I know what you mean. I've got one of these as a backup for long haul flights on the new pmUA 777
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:00 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
I flew BKK-NRT-SJC last week, first on a UA 777 and NH 787, and I personally found the 787 seat more comfortable. That being said, I'm not especially tall, and if you are (say) taller than 5'9" or so, E+ on UA is probably better, with more leg room and proper recline (the NH seats slide forward, which I find more comfortable but give you even less overall leg space). Padding on both seats are a bit thin but not bad.

A few other thoughts:
- The IFE monitors are bigger on NH, but the video/TV/music selections are much better on UA, if you care about IFE
- NH has a foot rest that I like but, again, taller people might not
- NH always keeps the cabin warmer than UA does; I didn't use my blanket at all on NH
- The NH 787 is 2-4-2 but the UA 777 is 3-3-3, which is slightly more crowded

Overall, I'm happy with either one, but it mostly comes down to how tall you are, if you can get a good E+ seat on United, and just personal preference.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
First, THANKS!! for the great detail. I love FlyerTalk.

I've read on FT that one of the easiest, if not the easiest upgrade, is the SEA-NRT route.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I've read on FT that one of the easiest, if not the easiest upgrade, is the SEA-NRT route.
Which will change once the 777 is replaced by the 787.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: Won Kay
Thanks for the quick replies! Do you know if the booze will be free on United? I still have a few drink coupons but 15+ hours is a loooong way sober
Drinks -- including beer and wine -- cost $ on UA. I know because I flew NRT-IAD last month and about choked when I was asked for my credit card for a glass of wine.

ANA has an endless and completely free flow of whatever booze you want. In some cases, that can make up for the loss of E+.

The idea that UA charges for drinks on a 14-hour TPAC is indicative of the money-grubbing nature of the airline.

Oh, and let's not forget ANA's FAs who are on average a third the age of UA's and seem completely engaged and are courteous to a fault. I used to think E+ was the end-all, be-all. There are other things a lot more important IMHO. And you won't find those things on a UA TPAC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.