Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyMiles Versus United MileagePlus [2014 Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

I've primarily been a DL guy since I started consulting. It was the right choice for a while because I had projects in MSP and SLC and I used to live in NYC. But now I live in LA and spend some weekends in SF with friends. Just found out I'll be flying to MSY every week for at least 9 months.

I've got DL DM still, but failed to requalify for UA 1K (only silver!) after somehow maintaining both for two years in a row. Do you think, if I'm planning to live in either LA or SF for the long-term, a switch to UA is worth it, even if I find DL to have much better equipment and customer service?

I'm getting older and realize that I might rather sit in the back of a crappier plane for one long flight than sit in first class on a nice plane for two legs. I know a lot of older consultants who have been loyal to DL regardless of where they live or where they're traveling, even if it means adding 3 hours to their commute to/from the client each week.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Time to switch from DL to UA? (because of routes and homebase)

If la then dl is fine. If sf, ua has more flights but depending where you're going as also has flights. Actually as is your best bet perhaps. You can use dl and aa with it's large route network.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Switch to UA and ask for status challenge based on your DM
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 787fan
Switch to UA and ask for status challenge based on your DM
Don't think that would work as he is still UA Silver - "Customers who have Star Alliance™ Silver or Gold status are excluded from this offer."
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Don't think that would work as he is still UA Silver - "Customers who have Star Alliance™ Silver or Gold status are excluded from this offer."
That, and I used a status challenge two years ago! Can only do one every 5 years. Looks like I'll need some mileage runs
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
That, and I used a status challenge two years ago! Can only do one every 5 years. Looks like I'll need some mileage runs
I dunno about MRs, at 3300 a week RT LAX-MSY after ~15 weeks you are Gold and after ~22 weeks you are Plat.

I'm not sure about that route during prime consulting time but in the few times I flew it as a gold (MSY-LAX, late flight) I didn't have much of an issue getting upgraded when I was a gold.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I've primarily been a DL guy since I started consulting. It was the right choice for a while because I had projects in MSP and SLC and I used to live in NYC. But now I live in LA and spend some weekends in SF with friends. Just found out I'll be flying to MSY every week for at least 9 months.
Since you're not going to have a nonstop with UA for LAX-MSY, have you considered AA or possibly AS?

AS has a reasonably strong west-coast route network, and you can credit your DL/AA flights over there as well.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Since you're not going to have a nonstop with UA for LAX-MSY, have you considered AA or possibly AS?

AS has a reasonably strong west-coast route network, and you can credit your DL/AA flights over there as well.
There are N/S LAX-MSY and vv on UA. Of course, it looks like Delta has ~3x daily non-stops.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
There are N/S LAX-MSY and vv on UA. Of course, it looks like Delta has ~3x daily non-stops.
Delta has 3 flights/day between LAX and MSY, UA only 1 and that's if it's not broken.

From next week UA will start giving pax a hard time about their carry-on, and there are a lot of grumpy staff in general on UA.

The single advantage of UA over DL is mileage awards. UA has reasonable availability at the normal miles-cost ("saver") whereas DL awards are very scarce even at the double-pay level. UA also has more partners for international flights though partner awards were severely devalued this month.

However the overriding factor is whether you and your bags routinely make it to your destination on the day, and sadly the new UA no longer inspires confidence that way.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: AADULtArer

I've got DL DM still, but failed to requalify for UA 1K (only silver!) after somehow maintaining both for two years in a row. Do you think, if I'm planning to live in either LA or SF for the long-term, a switch to UA is worth it, even if I find DL to have much better equipment and customer service?

I'm getting older and realize that I might rather sit in the back of a crappier plane for one long flight than sit in first class on a nice plane for two legs. I know a lot of older consultants who have been loyal to DL regardless of where they live or where they're traveling, even if it means adding 3 hours to their commute to/from the client each week.
I bill travel at 1/2 my normal rate and travel on Y fares. With either UA or DZl that gets you up front for the most part, where you can work

I'm happy on both airlines
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I bill travel at 1/2 my normal rate and travel on Y fares. With either UA or DZl that gets you up front for the most part, where you can work

I'm happy on both airlines
Wow, that's pretty awesome you bill travel time. My clients would never pay for that. And buying a Y fare? They'd sooner bring in someone else who spends $500 on airfare instead of $2000!

Last edited by AeoNKiNG; Feb 24, 2014 at 5:14 am
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK

You are not going to be upgraded to the front cabin on ANY AA flights accruing to AS, and you will rarely be upgraded accruing to DL (you are going to be upgraded after all the DL elites, my experience is this means going to the gate). If the OP is concerned about F upgrades as they seem to be in their original post, this is a bad strategy. It's perfectly legitimate to prefer upgrades and SkyPesos to the occasional trip in EK/CX F...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Delta vs United, a very quick observation

The more I deal with Delta, the more I want to switch to them completely. Unfortunately I live in Denver and can't. This latest example really shows the difference in corporate policy.

We had vacation plans for next week and my wife got sick and we had to cancel everything. I called United to cancel flights for my kids and told them the story. They said after I rebooked the flights and paid the $200 change fee for each child, I could send in a Doctor's note and they would give me a travel credit for the $400 of change feels. I thought - better then nothing.

Then I called Delta to cancel two other Delta tickets. I told the ticket agent why, and they said, tell me the DR and Hospital, and we will put it into the record so the change fee will be automatically waived.

I have been a 1K for 25 years with United and have no status at all on Delta. United gives me nothing - I spend $50K a year and the agent has no ability to do anything. On Delta - the difference in the phone call and result is amazing.

I know United and Delta both have their pros and cons but things like this are what build loyalty. United has basically become a low-end taxi service in the air.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA will refund most of the change fee (all but $50 each) upon the submission of the medical / doctor's note.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by bldr1k
The more I deal with Delta, the more I want to switch to them completely. Unfortunately I live in Denver and can't. This latest example really shows the difference in corporate policy.

We had vacation plans for next week and my wife got sick and we had to cancel everything. I called United to cancel flights for my kids and told them the story. They said after I rebooked the flights and paid the $200 change fee for each child, I could send in a Doctor's note and they would give me a travel credit for the $400 of change feels. I thought - better then nothing.

Then I called Delta to cancel two other Delta tickets. I told the ticket agent why, and they said, tell me the DR and Hospital, and we will put it into the record so the change fee will be automatically waived.

I have been a 1K for 25 years with United and have no status at all on Delta. United gives me nothing - I spend $50K a year and the agent has no ability to do anything. On Delta - the difference in the phone call and result is amazing.

I know United and Delta both have their pros and cons but things like this are what build loyalty. United has basically become a low-end taxi service in the air.
I know people who have had really good reasons for needed to cancel a DL flight in an emergency and had to pay a $200 change fee per ticket anyway... no mercy... I think it depends which rep you end up speaking to... the big plus with DL is usually I get American reps instead of reaching customer service in the Philippines with UA... but either way, luck of the draw if you get a nice and understanding rep on the phone or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.