Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

13 Aug 2013 - UA Opens New SAN United Club and Consolidates Operations to Terminal 2

13 Aug 2013 - UA Opens New SAN United Club and Consolidates Operations to Terminal 2

Old Sep 3, 13, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
Is Pre-Check still scheduled to open on Thursday for T2?
Nope. Was supposed to be the 5th of September, then went to the 15th, and is now tentatively the 17th (according to the TSA clerk who groped me last Friday, who had just completed the Pre-Check training that morning).

BTW, MM wave machines are now installed in T2 so no more just going through a metal detector as someone else reported. Sigh . . .
Old Sep 3, 13, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
BTW, MM wave machines are now installed in T2 so no more just going through a metal detector as someone else reported. Sigh . . .
I saw the Nude-o-Scopes on the right side of the lobby (facing the gates), but there were at least two WTMD on the far left this past Sunday. Sorry if they were taken away (but, then again, how would they do PreCheck if they didn't have at least one WTMD?)
Old Sep 3, 13, 10:37 pm

Let me put it this way, you couldn't avoid the MM wave machines.
Old Sep 20, 13, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott and SPG Platinum Premier Lifetime + Ambassador Charter, UA 1MM, UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
Anyone know if Pre-Check is up and running yet? I dont see it listed on the list of participating airports on the TSA website.
Old Sep 30, 13, 2:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
SAN-rookie ?'s, seasoned flyer

We are flying SAN-SFO on UA 663 @6:18am. Normally arrive when the desk is open etc, but last time we had such a flight, we encountered some obstacles. Counters never did open. Only machines. We needed help.

Our ?'s are:
Check-in can be done over the internet 24 hrs early. Easy for us because of the horrible time we leave. Last time this did not work, as there was a question on the passports. This time we are domestic, so it should work? IS this better than using the machine at the airport. We are in first. Will we get usable boarding passes (one flight or both?)

Luggage can be done at outside area (never have done that, or at the Luggage Kiosk (don't expect counter to be open). We would like our luggage to arrive (continuing on to LIH) and for it to be marked priority as our 1st class flight entitles. Don't know what to tip (assume appropriate) the skycap outside and the risks. Do not know how to use the luggage kiosk.

There are a few Terminals at SAN, anyone know which this flight leaves from?

Is it likely the flight SFO-LIH will leave from the same terminal we arrive at (I know this can change)?

SFO to and from (return) have "refreshments" under meal. What should we expect

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 30, 13, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ranles View Post
We are flying SAN-SFO on UA 663 @6:18am. Normally arrive when the desk is open etc, but last time we had such a flight, we encountered some obstacles. Counters never did open. Only machines. We needed help.

Our ?'s are:
Check-in can be done over the internet 24 hrs early. Easy for us because of the horrible time we leave. Last time this did not work, as there was a question on the passports. This time we are domestic, so it should work? IS this better than using the machine at the airport. We are in first. Will we get usable boarding passes (one flight or both?)

Luggage can be done at outside area (never have done that, or at the Luggage Kiosk (don't expect counter to be open). We would like our luggage to arrive (continuing on to LIH) and for it to be marked priority as our 1st class flight entitles. Don't know what to tip (assume appropriate) the skycap outside and the risks. Do not know how to use the luggage kiosk.

There are a few Terminals at SAN, anyone know which this flight leaves from?

Is it likely the flight SFO-LIH will leave from the same terminal we arrive at (I know this can change)?

SFO to and from (return) have "refreshments" under meal. What should we expect

Thank you in advance.
There will definitely be someone at the counter by 4:30-5am if there is a 6:18am flight. Not sure why there wasn't anyone last time..perhaps you were at the Express terminal last time? But since you're on a domestic ticket you shouldn't have any check in issues and you can use web check in to print your boarding passes. You can use the sky caps for luggage but there's a fee per bag ($2 I think) plus a tip on top of that. With a first class ticket I'd just use the regular Premier Access check in line inside.. you'll need to use the kiosk so the bag tags will print for the agent to put them on your bag. It's very easy to use just follow the instructions (you'll need your mileage plus number or confirmation number to check in).

You will depart from Terminal 2 at SAN. It is likely you will arrive and depart from the same terminal at SFO, but if not you won't have to re-clear security there.

The refreshments will likely be a warm scone plus beverages.
Old Sep 30, 13, 3:50 pm
Original Member

SEA1K4EVR

Thank you.

We will try the computer check in from home. Then go to the airport for our flight and go to the desk to check our luggage.

The time we had problems, we were leaving from T 1 to LAX to catch our Int'l flight. This time we leave T 2 (thanks for the info), and will expect someone there.

Strange getting to the AP in the "middle of the night"...for two old retired people, but that the route with UA miles...go with the flow
Old Sep 30, 13, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott and SPG Platinum Premier Lifetime + Ambassador Charter, UA 1MM, UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
You will be pleasantly suprised with the look and feel of the new Terminal 2. Its now one of the nicest airport terminals in the US. Where you get dropped off (upper level) has the skycaps and multiple check in units. If you accomplish everything right there, you simply walk across the bridge and right in to seccurity. Depending on the day of the week though, that security line can be a bit long. The understaffed TSA in the SAN airport are some of the slowest workers I have ever seen. Other than that, enjoy our new terminal!
Old Sep 30, 13, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA1K
UA switched its mainline operations at SAN from T1 to T2 last month. All UX flights to LAX (and MMH seasonally) are still out of the commuter terminal.

All terminals have flights that depart around 6:30am, so I'm not sure why there wasn't anybody at the counter unless you were at T1 after the switchover?
Old Sep 30, 13, 7:42 pm
Original Member

hym1

About 2 years ago or so. 3 agents came out, but two moved the lines around, while one helped people at the machines. The helpful one stayed, as did one other. The "rude" supervisor went back in the break room. We were first in line for the counter, but perhaps 75th in line for the machines...along with 10 behind us.

I did make a bit of a stink. It would have smelled worse, but the helpful lady pulled us out of the line and got us on our way, baggage tagged and all. Thank you to one and go to h... to the other. Maybe they were short staffed, but we were on a major international trip of great cost (for us) and did not want to be late after spending 1 hour in the airport before anyone from UA came out. Several employees did come by and then went into the "break room (some room". there was a sign for lining up where we did, but others lined up for the machines.

JC5280-Thanks. Have been reading about the new improvements in the U-T. We will not get to take advantage of our time there. We have a couple Club passes, but not enough time to use them. Will take them along, never know what delays may occur.
Old Oct 8, 13, 9:47 pm

TSA rep told me on Monday when he saw my TSA pre-check logo on my boarding pass that they were all ready for a Thursday (October 10th) start of pre-check in Terminal 2.
Old Oct 9, 13, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by JC5280 View Post
TSA rep told me on Monday when he saw my TSA pre-check logo on my boarding pass that they were all ready for a Thursday (October 10th) start of pre-check in Terminal 2.
I'm not holding my breath . . .
Old Oct 11, 13, 5:45 pm

It's up and running now.

San Diego Terminal 2 has TSA Pre-Check
http://carpepoints.com/2013/10/its-f....upe7jAsf.dpbs
Old Oct 12, 13, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by JC5280 View Post
It's up and running now.

San Diego Terminal 2 has TSA Pre-Check
http://carpepoints.com/2013/10/its-f....upe7jAsf.dpbs
Fantastic! I'm flying out on Friday.
Old Oct 13, 13, 9:37 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 3 MM, Velocity Gold, IHG Rewards, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Flew in last Monday - 1st impressions excellent. Flew out on Wednesday - the Lounge is fantastic, esp the balcony where I could use my iPad.
A day early for Pre-check.

Search this Thread