Search

Alternate Airline out of SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Alternate Airline out of SFO

Hello There,

I have been an avid CO flyer for many years and now am a 1K Million Miler with the new United. I have noticed my benefits erode out of SFO - with disappearing upgrades, inability to use global premier upgrades, and surly/rude agents/flight attendants.

I am leaving United after all these years. I want this incredibly knowledgeable groups opinions on what airline would be a good alternative out of SFO to be recognized as a human being

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Where do you fly normally?
Do you book normal economy, or do you book high economy last-minute travel domestically?
Do you book economy or business internationally?
Do you value wi-fi, upgrades, or award mile bonuses?

American seems to be the best alternate for many here. VX is too hub to hub and WN has no international to speak of.
Alaska might be interesting, especially due to its tie-ups with AA and DL.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 23, 2013 at 1:10 pm Reason: Let's respond kindly
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

appreciate your response.
Have a wonderful day.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 23, 2013 at 1:10 pm Reason: Response to deleted comment removed
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
UA has by far the most coverage out of SFO. If you need an alternative, it would be specific to the destination. A little more info would help with the recommendation.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Can you fly out of San Jose or Oakland?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:20 pm

See also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eaving-ua.html

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 23, 2013 at 10:28 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. I didn't know there was another location and i'll put future comments there. MY travels take me to - Arkansas, UK, Asia, South America.

I think AA is my best alternative. Since most of my travels within US require a stop, Houston or Dallas won't matter much.

Flying on UA out of SFO mean flying old 747's to Asia or UK. I'd rather do a stop a fly a newer equipment or fly BA.

Thanks all.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by bhavit
Thank you all for the advice. I didn't know there was another location and i'll put future comments there. MY travels take me to - Arkansas, UK, Asia, South America.

I think AA is my best alternative. Since most of my travels within US require a stop, Houston or Dallas won't matter much.

Flying on UA out of SFO mean flying old 747's to Asia or UK. I'd rather do a stop a fly a newer equipment or fly BA.

Thanks all.
The downsides of AA: Connections can take a long time in DFW. Getting to UK, you are limited to BA. To Asia, you'll pretty much have to connect in Hong Kong or LA which takes you in the wrong direction for most Asia destinations.
For United, ANA, EVA and Asiana are good alternatives to get to Asia. (There is also Air China, but they make United look good.)
Delta could also be considered. They have a nonstop to Tokyo and have SkyTeam members China Airlines (TPE), China Eastern (PVG) with nonstops to Asia (as well as Virgin Atlantic to London)
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:11 pm

Thanks all.
From the other thread I linked above, starting at post #1667:

Originally Posted by maxmnx
I'm 2MM on AA and will get to 1K on UA this year. I switched because of the route network. I travel to Asia and Europe a lot with my home airport being SFO. I don't want to change in DFW or ORD to get to Europe, or LAX to get to Asia.

A friend of mine suggested switching allegiance to Cathay, and that works for Asia, but not for Europe.

Open to suggestiions!
If your travel is: 1) SA 2) UK 3) AK 4) Asia, then AA certainly a viable, many would say superior, choice.

If Asia is your number one destination, then I would think hard before ditching UA. (this depends as well upon your destinations within Asia)
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Hello There,

I have been an avid CO flyer for many years and now am a 1K Million Miler with the new United. I have noticed my benefits erode out of SFO - with disappearing upgrades, inability to use global premier upgrades, and surly/rude agents/flight attendants.

I am leaving United after all these years. I want this incredibly knowledgeable groups opinions on what airline would be a good alternative out of SFO to be recognized as a human being

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Not to be arugmentative, but I disagree with the premise of your question. I am 1K and a Million Miler too. I considered defecting last summer after a number of post-merger disappointments and service failures. At the time, however, I was well on my way to requalifiing as a 1K for this year, so I stuck it out. While UA at SFO (and elsewhere) still has issues, I have seen a marked improvement in operations. I am at SFO at least 2x/week -- this year most of my travel has taken me to LAX, ORD, IAD or BRU (via ORD.) On domestic flights, my upgrade success rate is about 85%. I have been fairly lucky with GPUs and RPUs. More importantly (and this is purely subjective), I've noticed that the SFO ground staff seems to be making an effort to improve its customer service. Sure, there are still some surly agents, but compared to last year things are much better. On a side note, the international flight (all transatlantic) I've taken this year have been a delight -- great service all around.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Glad to hear thumbun. My experience has been the opposite - I have not received upgrades on most of my flights except may be 1. GPUs have been impossible to use.

I agree that the staff is making an effort, but to me it seems a little too late. I will likely stick it out since I am well on my way to requalifying but will switch next year.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by L Dude 7
The downsides of AA: Connections can take a long time in DFW. Getting to UK, you are limited to BA.
No, not just BA to the UK. One can fly AA with only a single connection at ORD, DFW, or JFK. One can fly AA/IB with a connection at ORD or JFK and a connection at MAD.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Glad to hear thumbun. My experience has been the opposite - I have not received upgrades on most of my flights except may be 1. GPUs have been impossible to use.

I agree that the staff is making an effort, but to me it seems a little too late. I will likely stick it out since I am well on my way to requalifying but will switch next year.

Thanks for your comments.
I think you should write a letter to UA and tell them when you why you decided to leave. You never know, you may create change...

I have decreased my flying by 95%, the rest goes to whoever has the best product to where I am going (first or biz).

Safe travels!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
There are no good alternatives to UA that cover AR, SA, EU, and Asia from SFO.

AA has non-stop service to LHR, NRT, and PVG from LAX and to many SA destinations from MIA. So, you will have at least one connection ( with non-stop service SFO-LAX and SFO-MIA ).

If you mainly fly a lot domestically and if you're ok with coach, then WN may be a good option.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would have thought AA/BA would suit the OP well - with the major caveat that AA's merger will likely cause some short term grief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.