Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

*G benefits on award ticket booked from non-status account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Hello,

I've booked an award ticket on UA/SQ using a non-status account(my dad's) for myself as traveler.

I have *G via TK and am unable to add my frequent flyer number online. Called United and they cannot make changes either to FQTS as its an award ticket. They are not even able to remove the United FF#(which is reverting to my account once I added the booking under my account)

Will united recognize *G (mainly for the extra bag) and priority boarding?
Anyway to get E+ seating atleast on T-1
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Acid
Hello,

I've booked an award ticket on UA/SQ using a non-status account(my dad's) for myself as traveler.

I have *G via TK and am unable to add my frequent flyer number online. Called United and they cannot make changes either to FQTS as its an award ticket. They are not even able to remove the United FF#(which is reverting to my account once I added the booking under my account)

Free Bags at check in. Likely no for priority boarding.

No chance of free E+.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Free Bags at check in. Likely no for priority boarding.

No chance of free E+.
Thanks for the info! It's strange they cannot even erase my MP# from the reservation. If at all - it should have kept the MP# from where the miles were deducted(my dad's). I've had much better experience on BA/AA/IB using Finnair website to update the FF# for status recognition on an award ticket.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:17 am
Suspended

I have *G via TK and am unable to add my frequent flyer number online. )

*G doesn't have as a benefit E+,AFAIK E+ is a benefit only for those who have UA status. You are entitled to I believe 2 free bags and can board when they announce *Gs. Also no free UPs of any kind , nor due *Gs get any fees reduced unless they are *G due to their UA status level
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:11 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Hello,

Do you have a UA MP account? Try and add that number to your reservation first. I have often been able to do it by clicking on buy mileage accelerator and adding the FF number there.

If you succeed with that, you can try calling UA and see if they can change the FF number to your TK *G number.

I would attempt to get E+ seats at the Club.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by sahiljain22

I would attempt to get E+ seats at the Club.
I can agree with that. I saw many *G gaining a courtesy upgrade to E+ at the Gate/Club.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Do you have a UA MP account? Try and add that number to your reservation first. I have often been able to do it by clicking on buy mileage accelerator and adding the FF number there.

If you succeed with that, you can try calling UA and see if they can change the FF number to your TK *G number.
Yes - I have a UA MP account and that number stays on my reservation. I cannot change it to TK or even remove it anymore. United call center cannot do it either.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Try adding your *G membership number at check-in. You can also use the lounges, at least, by flashing your card.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
FWIW, I had the same experience with an AC/LH itinerary booked with non-status US miles. But I was able to input my UA *G number at checkin with both airlines, got three free bags and was allowed to use lounges. *G even showed up on my boarding passes and I was able to use priority security lines. So it should not be a problem but be sure to bring your card. If it can't be inputted at checkin, flashing the card is supposed to get you the benefits.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Booked an oneway award LIT-IAH-MSY w/ my rotting UA miles from my ROC times. I was unable to attach my LH*G # to my profile.
In LIT I talked the CSA into changing the # manually and after calling UA it worked. Zone 2, Priority, fees for two bags waived etc. THANK YOU!
The flight to IAH was delayed by >1h. Cxn at jeopardy. KVS showed the next flight IAH-MSY as fully booked. GA told me: There are seats, but you're OK, your cxn is late as well. OK. I remembered FT and asked her to protect me on the last flight. Se told me something about First Class seat and I went on.
At IAH the cxn had already left on time and I went to the UA customer centre to retrieve a bp for the next flight to MSY. It worked like a breeze and I indeed was in 3A on that short hop w/ 2 additional $7 meal vouchers! The CSA mentioned that the delay was due to a late incoming crew.
Baseline here: ALWAYS try to have the status in the system (insist and mention FQTV/FQTS). I do not know how much curtesy was involved here (I guess more than there is in the book for a non-UA *G on a Y award from his blue account), but many decisions are made automatically by the system and arguing once but intensely is preferrable over having to flash my card every five minutes, which may be -depending from the situation- borderline ridiculous.

Last edited by fradoc; Aug 23, 2015 at 2:31 pm Reason: typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.