Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expanding Mercedes-Benz USA partnership—to the airport, plane to plane GS transport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expanding Mercedes-Benz USA partnership—to the airport, plane to plane GS transport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:58 pm
tyc

Programs: UA GS MM
Great to see that United is making a good effort here^^

One suggestion is that a similar proactive offer with an alternative cart for wheel chair users in this plan will be nice. So this will make the effort focus more in smooth and quick connection, with or without the fancy car.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by tyc
Great to see that United is making a good effort here^^

One suggestion is that a similar proactive offer with an alternative cart for wheel chair users in this plan will be nice. So this will make the effort focus more in smooth and quick connection, with or without the fancy car.
As noted above, this service is possible because Daimler is paying for it. Who is going to pay for the carts?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:49 pm
tyc

Programs: UA GS MM
Originally Posted by mre5765
As noted above, this service is possible because Daimler is paying for it. Who is going to pay for the carts?
Others have also mentioned that carts are already an available service now, the only added suggestion is to include this to the program when a needed passenger can't request that while one is on a delayed flight.

I don't think that this program is strictly a Daimler's marketing initiatives. United, I believed, have an equal, if not greater, objectives here.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
At FRA, the gates that I have arrived to and departed from while travelling in F Class were widebodies (744/748/A380/A340s). In every case there was an elevator on the jetbridge located about halfway between gate and aircraft. The car drops you off in front of the plane, you walk a few steps through a door and inside is a stairwell and elevator. This has been the case everytime for me (couple dozen times?).

The Mercedes drop-off program is a bigger part of Lufthansa's First Class product (HON members have access to this as well) which is excellence in flying. They own (I asked) a fleet of luxury vehicles (Cayennes & MB)* and the service is truly, well, first-class.

Having Mercedes "lend" two cars, because I know there is absolutely no way UA will pay $100K for a car, let alone two, and the inconsistency of maybe you'll get the service, maybe you won't, just leaves room for a less than stellar experience for your top customers. It's also a very cheap way to cover up all the deficiencies of a COMPLETELY flawed product lacking a seamless experience. You can put Chanel lipstick on a pig (and let's give it an Hermés bag too), but it's still a pig.

I am all for EXCELLENCE, I love first-class travel when it's done properly, and I am CERTAIN many of my fellow FTers understand what I mean. I am also sure many have experienced a true premium product on other airlines.

Who thinks of these schemes at Willis Tower!? It's like branding has no budget and the "team" (if there's even one) has no direction. As someone said as well, of all cities IAH? Which possibly has the fewest GF flights from most of the hubs in the US and p GS. Heck, I live in Trump Tower, I'll come over to UA, get your branding together and work for flights!

As a premium passenger, my expectations for United are set very low. To make me happy, just give me BASIC CONSISTENT customer service, that's all I want. EDUCATE your employees for a start. That would make me SO thrilled and happy. But for me to call three times and get three different responses is awful. Take ALL the efforts and time and $$ spent on approvals, etc., in order to get two cars drive around airside with passengers and put together and easy TRAINing program.

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Jul 17, 2013 at 11:43 pm Reason: *Tom911's pictures...see below
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
The Mercedes drop-off program is a bigger part of Lufthansa's First Class product (HON members have access to this as well) which is excellence in flying. They own (I asked) a fleet of luxury vehicles (Cayennes & MB) and the service is truly, well, first-class.
You should be able to see some of their fleet HERE (that's me in the photo from last year after arrival in award F on the LH A380).
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by tom911
You should be able to see some of their fleet HERE (that's me in the photo from last year after arrival in award F on the LH A380).
I've seen you! LOL! Yes, great picture. Thanks for posting!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
At FRA, the gates that I have arrived to and departed from while travelling in F Class were widebodies (744/748/A380/A340s). In every case there was an elevator on the jetbridge located about halfway between gate and aircraft. The car drops you off in front of the plane, you walk a few steps through a door and inside is a stairwell and elevator. This has been the case everytime for me (couple dozen times?).

The Mercedes drop-off program is a bigger part of Lufthansa's First Class product (HON members have access to this as well) which is excellence in flying. They own (I asked) a fleet of luxury vehicles (Cayennes & MB) and the service is truly, well, first-class.

Having Mercedes "lend" two cars, because I know there is absolutely no way UA will pay $100K for a car, let alone two, and the inconsistency of maybe you'll get the service, maybe you won't, just leaves room for a less than stellar experience for your top customers. It's also a very cheap way to cover up all the deficiencies of a COMPLETELY flawed product lacking a seamless experience. You can put Chanel lipstick on a pig (and let's give it an Hermés bag too), but it's still a pig.

I am all for EXCELLENCE, I love first-class travel when it's done properly, and I am CERTAIN many of my fellow FTers understand what I mean. I am also sure many have experienced a true premium product on other airlines.

Who thinks of these schemes at Willis Tower!? It's like branding has no budget and the "team" (if there's even one) has no direction. As someone said as well, of all cities IAH? Which possibly has the fewest GF flights from most of the hubs in the US and p GS. Heck, I live in Trump Tower, I'll come over to UA, get your branding together and work for flights!

As a premium passenger, my expectations for United are set very low. To make me happy, just give me BASIC CONSISTENT customer service, that's all I want. EDUCATE your employees for a start. That would make me SO thrilled and happy. But for me to call three times and get three different responses is awful. Take ALL the efforts and time and $$ spent on approvals, etc., in order to get two cars drive around airside with passengers and put together and easy TRAINing program.
Wow, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that nothing UA could roll out right now would satisfy you. Can we just appreciate the fact that this is a new enhancement that will be TESTED out and expanded further with an evolution of product? What has our culture come to?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by neo_781
Yes that's my favorite part - when the elevator opens, the people on the jet bridge look at you in awe as they part to make room for you!
Even better, when you are leaving (or arriving?) from a non-gate position when you are dropped right at the stairs like a dignitary.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
They own (I asked) a fleet of luxury vehicles (Cayennes & MB)* and the service is truly, well, first-class.

Having Mercedes "lend" two cars, because I know there is absolutely no way UA will pay $100K for a car, let alone two, and the inconsistency of maybe you'll get the service, maybe you won't, just leaves room for a less than stellar experience for your top customers.
Funny post and sorry to disappoint but LH does not own the cars. I fail to see how that would make a difference to begin with. LH is also not delivering a consistent experience as you often end up in a Van and neither a Porsche or an S-class.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Very nice. Would be even nicer if you did something simpler like letting GF board ahead of the 1k/J class hoi polloi.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by SunLover
This service would certainly be useful during the SFO construction to get from the RJ gates to the international gates.

SunLover

It would never work in this situation. The driver of the Mercedes would get tired of waiting for the passenger's gate-checked bag (with the yellow handle) to come off the RJ, and would just drive off alone.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Baze
In the 16 years I have been flying UA, 10 of it as a 1K, UA has never been much of an innovator, they usually just copy from other airlines. So not much change in that respect with the new regime.
For the most part, yes, but give credit where it's due. UA was an innovator with E+, explus (first class in regional jets), United Connections software (RIP), e-ticketing (they started with Shuttle by United flights before anyone else), and being one of the founding members of Star Alliance.

Now, let's see what new/original ideas the new regime can come up with....
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Only once when arriving at a gate has there been ground transport service as an F pax, and that was because the arriving gate was in the Schengen area but the flight was arriving from a nonSchengen airport. And in that case we were dropped off at the main terminal as if it were an "apron" arrival (I never arrived on a UA widebody to a nonGerman airport and had to deplane onto the Tarmac). When departing in LH F, I would say maybe a third of the time I get the ground service from the FCL.

Also when departing on UA flights from FRA, sometimes the plane is sitting in an apron spot, and one takes stairs down to the Tarmac and piles on to a bus. No elevator is available.

Service by LH at FRA for F is inconsistent.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
Only once when arriving at a gate has there been ground transport service as an F pax, and that was because the arriving gate was in the Schengen area but the flight was arriving from a nonSchengen airport. And in that case we were dropped off at the main terminal as if it were an "apron" arrival (I never arrived on a UA widebody to a nonGerman airport and had to deplane onto the Tarmac). When departing in LH F, I would say maybe a third of the time I get the ground service from the FCL.

Also when departing on UA flights from FRA, sometimes the plane is sitting in an apron spot, and one takes stairs down to the Tarmac and piles on to a bus. No elevator is available.

Service by LH at FRA for F is inconsistent.
That is why I said in the beginning of my post - from my experience. OVERALL a car service PICKUP does not make LH's FC experience. But if you go to the FC terminal you will have someone in some vehicle, even if it is a VW, take you to the gate. If you go to a FC lounge at by the gates, it's different.

I'm saying that OVERALL there is consistency, down to the rubber duck.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Very nice. Would be even nicer if you did something simpler like letting GF board ahead of the 1k/J class hoi polloi.
Thank you - this is what I mean by focusing on the issues at hand instead of getting a car service in a city the majority of GF/GS will never use. I am certain my fellow FTers get where I am coming from.

UA used to be one of the best airlines in the country (world?) when it had its partnership with BA, through around 2003ish. After 2003, it was still good, but the decisions made by the new executive team....just destroyed the goodwill made over decades.

To me, United was the best. So yes, today, as a flyer with [fewer] choices, United's service has a long way to go to catch up to global standards.

Notice I am saying this from my perspective. If you don't agree, I love to hear others comments.

Originally Posted by SMK77
Funny post and sorry to disappoint but LH does not own the cars. I fail to see how that would make a difference to begin with. LH is also not delivering a consistent experience as you often end up in a Van and neither a Porsche or an S-class.
Does it matter ultimately? It is still a German car - you still get driven to the airplane. I saw one van and I assume it is for a bunch of people on the same flight. And if you had asked to have a private car, they would have accommodated you.

I was told they own the fleet of cars it was contracted bc the drivers all work for LH. I am sure MB gave them a good deal, etc.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 18, 2013 at 10:35 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Does it matter ultimately? It is still a German car - you still get driven to the airplane. I saw one van and I assume it is for a bunch of people on the same flight. And if you had asked to have a private car, they would have accommodated you.

I was told they own the fleet of cars it was contracted bc the drivers all work for LH. I am sure MB gave them a good deal, etc.
You are funny! Weren't you the one .....ing that only LH could deliver an unparalleled experience that UA can't match with the same car?

I am HON Circle and I fly First all the time and I still end up in a van because they don't really give you a choice. And: LH does not own any of the cars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.